Let's see your biggest ever whitetail

20221121_163502.jpg

The weapon is even more interesting than the buck. First time I can recall seeing a customized 1898. Is it chambered in 30-40 Krag? Is it an accurate weapon?
Yes sir that was a gun my late father built in the late 60’s and is in fact a 30/40 krag ! The trajectory of the old krag is a lot like a rainbow lol , the shot was just a hair over 175 yards, ironically having been around this gun my entire life this was the first animal I’ve ever taken with it & my best to date , this was my dads go to gun for years!

Yes sir that was a gun my late father built in the late 60’s and is in fact a 30/40 krag ! The trajectory of the old krag is a lot like a rainbow lol , the shot was just a hair over 175 yards, ironically having been around this gun my entire life this was the first animal I’ve ever taken with it & my best to date , this was my dads go to gun for years!
Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful build. Your father was clearly an artistic craftsman.

And you shoot rainbows very accurately. Nice buck too. Congrats on carrying on the family tradition.

Got my biggest ever whitetail this morning. Also biggest we have ever taken on our little ranch. Had not seen this one on camera. Had been away from ranch for about 10 days and when I checked camera he had been showing up for about a week. Good Lord smiled on me this morning and he showed up! Gross score 151 and change!

IMG_7960.jpeg

Last edited:
Got my biggest ever whitetail this morning. Also biggest we have ever taken on our little ranch. Had not seen this one on camera. Had been away from ranch for about 10 days and when I checked camera he had been showing up for about a week. Good Lord smiled on me this morning and he showed up! Gross score 151 and change!

View attachment 127299
Wow, very nice. He looks more that 151 from where I’m setting. Congrats.

Indiana went to a one buck rule and it shows. If I were to traveling for a whitey…

RANK 2020-2022NUMBER OF ENTRIES 2020-2022RANK 1950-2019
1. Wisconsin 125 entries1
2. Indiana ↑112 entries10
3. Ohio ↑107 entries5
4. Kentucky ↑91 entries6
5. Iowa ↓ 83 entries3
6. Illinois ↓ 77 entries2
7. Minnesota ↓66 entries4
8. Texas ↑58 entries11
9. Kansas ↓56 entries8
10. Missouri ↓49 entries7
11. Saskatchewan ↓42 entries9
12. Alberta19 entries
13. Michigan ↑15 entries14
14. Nebraska ↓14 entries13
15. Pennsylvania ↑14 entries
16. South Dakota ↑14 entries

Indiana went to a one buck rule and it shows. If I were to traveling for a whitey…

RANK 2020-2022NUMBER OF ENTRIES 2020-2022RANK 1950-2019
1. Wisconsin125 entries1
2. Indiana ↑112 entries10
3. Ohio ↑107 entries5
4. Kentucky ↑91 entries6
5. Iowa ↓83 entries3
6. Illinois ↓77 entries2
7. Minnesota ↓66 entries4
8. Texas ↑58 entries11
9. Kansas ↓56 entries8
10. Missouri ↓49 entries7
11. Saskatchewan ↓42 entries9
12. Alberta19 entries
13. Michigan ↑15 entries14
14. Nebraska ↓14 entries13
15. Pennsylvania ↑14 entries
16. South Dakota ↑14 entries
Nah, Indiana has horrible deer hunting, there are much better states like Ohio or Michigan. :cool:

Some old old pics of my very first buck. 1983 on the family farm, 3rd day of season before school. I knew it was a special deer and took it back out with a friend to try and get a better field photo after school. Still have not taken a whitetail nearly as good. People came out from town to see it and told me I’d never get a better one. They were probably right. I have 2 sets of his sheds from the 2 years prior to getting him.
IMG_6741.jpeg

IMG_6740.jpeg

IMG_1160.jpeg

Some old old pics of my very first buck. 1983 on the family farm, 3rd day of season before school. I knew it was a special deer and took it back out with a friend to try and get a better field photo after school. Still have not taken a whitetail nearly as good. People came out from town to see it and told me I’d never get a better one. They were probably right. I have 2 sets of his sheds from the 2 years prior to getting him.
View attachment 131230
View attachment 131231
View attachment 131232
How high was the buck fever? I had a chance at a 150 class whitetail when I was 12 and the fever was burning hot. Emptied the rifle at close range and only one shot hit him in the hock. Thankfully when I was done blasting, dad was more calm. Can not imagine how bad I would have blown it on a buck like yours.

How high was the buck fever? I had a chance at a 150 class whitetail when I was 12 and the fever was burning hot. Emptied the rifle at close range and only one shot hit him in the hock. Thankfully when I was done blasting, dad was more calm. Can not imagine how bad I would have blown it on a buck like yours.
Happened pretty fast and it was a pretty close shot so thankfully didn’t miss. I do remember buck fever for probably hours afterwards though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom