Lets Talk Boots.

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
Ok, I have to get a new pair of boots for hunting this fall/winter. I'll be Muley Hunting, and WaterFowl hunting, maybe a little upland game hunting. What kind of boots do you wear, and how much insulation do you have? I'm wanting something under $130, but all types are welcome. Thanks.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

You might have to up your limit a bit for good quality boots.
Cabela's has some good ones there, look for those made by Meindl in Germany. Another good winter one I have used for over 12 years are the Schnees made in Montana.
Go to: www.schnees.com

Brian

It all depends on how and where you hunt. If you sit on your butt then insulated is the way to go. If you hike alot then nothing beats a good quality leather boot with a vibram sole with no insulation. I prefer Redwings. It also depends on the terrain your in. If you hike alot forget the insulation. Goretex works good in snow but so does waterproofing your leather boots. Hope that helps.

I have previously used the Cabela's Outfitter boots w/ 1000 gram thinsulate, and Gor Tex lining. I loved them, I just outgrew them. I definately need something insulated for waterfowl hunting. I'm looking for mostly comfort, and stability.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Its going to be tough to get 1 boot for big game, waterfowl and upland game hunting. AS noted above, it depends on how and where you hunt.

For early season upland birds and some big game I have the Cabelas lightweight kangaroo skin boots.

For the majority of my big game hunting (including in the snow) I use a pair of Danner's with 400 grams of insulation. A good balance between warm and too hot.

For waterfowl, I generally wear boot foot waders from Cabelas (the kind with 1000 grams insulation in the boot). I don't like the Danners for waterfowl because of the generally wet and mucky conditions I hunt in (i.e. worked fields, marshes, etc). If I don't wear waders I will use my sorrel insulated boots. But I generally don't hunt waterfowl until late Nov. or Dec.

I would spend more than the $130 on boots. You can generally get a longer lasting boot that is lighter weight the more you spend.

Ok, I guess I'll spend around $150, but I'm only 16, and will probably outgrow these boots in two years. So, taking that into consideration, $150 is all I really want to spend. BTW, my feet usually get cold really easy, so I like a lot of insulation. If I had lots of money I'd buy the Kangaroo boots, and a pair of late season boots.

Kind of sad how everything comes down to money!

My feet used to get cold. Till I found a pair of boots that had some insulation but were too big. I finally figured out I had boots to small for 2 socks and that my feet sweated and then chilled.

I use a wicking sock liner first (thermax type- very thin) and then the best pair of thermal socks I can. With that setup I tried on boots and settled in on a pair that fit with double socks. About a half size larger than normal. You do NOT want a tight fit for warmth but you have to have a good fit to not get blisters. I could not walk far in my boots with normal 1 pair thin cotton socks. Have to give the foot room to keep its circulation going, wick away any sweat and outer insulate the heat you have.

Good luck, Jeff

WoW! That's great info! Never thought of it like that. Really makes sense on the sweating, and freezing part. What brand of whicking sock do you have? Thanks.

Redwings make an excellent boot light weight and a soft sole for sneaking..and you can get them with different degrees of thinsulate.

I agree... Danners all the way. I wear a pair all day, every day for work and you can't beat them. Also, I bought a pair of Danner Canadians back in '97 and they are still in great shape after some serious miles have been put on them over the years.

Scottyboy

Actually, I don't want to put that kind of money into some Danners, just won't wear them long enough to justify around $200. I really liked the look of the Cabelas GTX Pinnacle Kangaroo Leather Boots w/ 400 Gram Thinsulate, and Gortex. Then only weight 3 lbs, so I ordered them. If I don't like them, I'll send them back, and maybe put some money into the danners.

Danners.

I realize your 16 and on a budget of sorts. I appreciate that. But, spending money on quality gear like Danners is money well spent.

If you have wide feet danners are great, mine are pretty narrow and the heel moves around in them too much. I tried the plastic insert they come with and they just didn't do the job.

Get a boot that fits you well.

BeanMan

I picked up an excellent pair of boots from Cabela's last fall. They were in their bargain corner, saved 50% on new cost. Their stores are good at letting you know what is in there if you call. Problem is they won't ship them to you out of the bargain area, so you need someone local to help you out there. I have access to the Kearney, NE and Kansas City stores and would be more than willing to help you, no cost.

I have worn out many pairs of danners, they are the only way to go!

BeanMan, that's good to know since I wear a size 11 and have really narrow feet. If I end up not liking the boots that I ordered, I'll return them, and see if I can pick up a pair of Danners. I'll let you guys know, they should be in next Wed or Thur.

Michael:

One more thing. No insult intended, but you're only 16 and may not have learned this --- do NOT buy boots during morning hours!!! Your feet will swell during the day, so ALWAYS wait until mid-afternoon or later to make your purchase ...

Lv2hnt

Keep in mind with the Danner boots if you get the sole that is stiched and take care of the leather you can resole after resole for different types of hunting. If you get the cheaper Danners it usually means the sole is glued on and when they are worn they are done.

NBJB

Lv2Hunt, why the sarcasm?

Also, can someone post a pic for me?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom