Leupold VX-3i CDS 30mm Riflescope (Windplex or Duplex and 40 or 50 MM)

nripepi

Very Active Member
I am leaning towards getting a VX-3i with CDS and side-focus. I am debating between the WindPlex or Duplex as well as the 50 MM vs. 40 MM objective.

Any thoughts on everyone's preference?

Looking to shoot 600 yards in 10 MPH wind.

What I am confused about (it must be because of demand and inventory) is that Cabela's/BassPro's pricers are cheaper for the 50 MM Windplex than the other options.

50 MM Windplex = $549 = 17 oz
40 MM Windplex = $649 = 15.6 oz
40 MM Duplex = $629 = 15.6 oz

Slightly better FOV on the 50 MM on low power which I like.

Can anyone talk me out of the 50 MM Windplex? The photos show it is not as fine a reticle, but I think that is just the photos and many shooters seem to like the Windplex. If 10 MPH winds @ 600 yards = 20 inches of drift from my rifle so any more wind or drift and I really think you need the Windplex.

Only downside to the 50mm is it can be a pain if using a scabbard and it will require the scope to sit a bit higher on the rifle so you'll need higher rings and cheek weld on buttstock will be affected

Only downside to the 50mm is it can be a pain if using a scabbard and it will require the scope to sit a bit higher on the rifle so you'll need higher rings and cheek weld on buttstock will be affected
Sitting a bit higher might not be a good thing, crazy it will cost an extra $100 to go from 50 MM down to 40 MM.

Thanks for the note!

I have both a 40mm and 50mm on a few rifles and I like the 50mm one more. I’d suggest getting the windplex reticle, I don’t think it’s to cumbersome to look through

Buy A Zeiss V4 instead. Much better glass and the ability to accurately dial and return to zero without any worries.
I've played the Leupold game, never again.

I am leaning towards getting a VX-3i with CDS and side-focus. I am debating between the WindPlex or Duplex as well as the 50 MM vs. 40 MM objective.

Any thoughts on everyone's preference?

Looking to shoot 600 yards in 10 MPH wind.

What I am confused about (it must be because of demand and inventory) is that Cabela's/BassPro's pricers are cheaper for the 50 MM Windplex than the other options.

50 MM Windplex = $549 = 17 oz
40 MM Windplex = $649 = 15.6 oz
40 MM Duplex = $629 = 15.6 oz

Slightly better FOV on the 50 MM on low power which I like.

Can anyone talk me out of the 50 MM Windplex? The photos show it is not as fine a reticle, but I think that is just the photos and many shooters seem to like the Windplex. If 10 MPH winds @ 600 yards = 20 inches of drift from my rifle so any more wind or drift and I really think you need the Windplex.

I have two of these scopes, one 40mm the other is a 50mm, both have windplex reticles and CDS.
Also have a ZEISS V4, 4x16x44.
The ZEISS is good, but longer and heavier than the Leupolds, but it’s a great hunting scope.
I like my 40mm Leupold the best, light weight, good glass and mounts low on my rifle with extra low Talley Rings. The 50mm is good, but bulkier and mounts high on the rifle.
Hope that helps?

Thanks all, I better go check them all out! All sound good for what I am looking to do.

Yes, I have several wind Plex in the 3i and BX-5’s and they do have slightly bulkier crosshairs but I can still touch Bullets with the 20 practical or the 6.5 x 280AI.
The upside is that on moving game, poor light or thick brush behind the target, the crosshairs don’t get lost.
On a true dedicated prairie dog gun, I’d opt for finer crosshairs but I still used it in Montana last year and didn’t feel hampered at all.
Buy with confidence!
I just ordered another VX-3I in 4.5x14 with windplex today!
Zeke

If your concerned about weight the VX3i 4.5-14x40 30mm CDS is about the best compromise for a long range lightweight hunting scope, they now have a CDS-Zero Lock option the CDS dial for 2020, after this scope look at the VX5HD 3-15x44 or the ZEISS V4 4-16x44 zero stop MOA dial, this is one of the very best scopes on the market for the money.
For myself I prefer a zero stop MOA dial and duplex cross hairs.

By the way, Euro optics has the Leupold CDS windplex 40 mm vx-3i 4.5-14 for $450... Seems like a dang good buy.

Zeke

I use the 40MM and Wind-Plex reticle. I have a printed drop chart with windage at 5-10-15 mph. Works great. The 40MM is better in hunting situations IMO. Smaller profile when moving through the cover and lighter weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom