Leupold VX-5HD Custom Turret

It all depends on where you zero is and the ballistics of your load.
My 200 yard zero on my 7mm 160grn accubond or partitions put my max at 750.

It all depends on where you zero is and the ballistics of your load.
My 200 yard zero on my 7mm 160grn accubond or partitions put my max at 750.

yea ill be zeroing at 100 yards with a .300 weatherby Mark V using 180gr barnes ttsx. i guess ill see once i send them all the data after shooting it the chronograph and BC. Choosing those bullets because they're copper and i live in Ca, BUMMER.

I think the VX5 Custom turret is still 2 full revolutions on a custom dial.
The old CDS custom dials were almost 1 full revolution with the built in zero stop which is about 10-11MOA so that’s why most rifles were only 600-700 yards or so.

I think the VX5 Custom turret is still 2 full revolutions on a custom dial.
The old CDS custom dials were almost 1 full revolution with the built in zero stop which is about 10-11MOA so that’s why most rifles were only 600-700 yards or so.
thanks my buddy talked to a guy on affordable long range and he said that i should get more than that,

I can maybe see POI being POA at 100 for a varmint rifle so you don't shoot over a prairie dog if he's close but I cannot see why you wouldn't go with a 200 or even a 300 yard zero for a big game gun. It'll put you about 1.5-3"+/- high at 100 (depending) and still not so high at mid-point to shoot over even the smallest deer (like I shoot, LOL)

I like a 300 yard zero for my faster rifles used for big game because it make anything out to 400 a virtual slam-dunk. But... to each his own.

Zeke

I recently ordered my custom dial for a vx-5 3-15x44. I went with a 250 yd. zero on my .270 wsm, which puts me 1.9" high at a hundred, 2.1 high at 200, 0.0 at 250, and -2.6 at 300. Did it this way because if it's inside 325, I won't have to mess with the turret. If something is standing farther away across an open basin or something, and I can't get closer, then I figured I'd have time to mess with the dial. Otherwise, I'd rather not risk the extra time/movement, etc. Just hold dead center out to +/- 325 and it'll be within a couple inches of the aiming point. That was my logic, anyway. Hope that's helpful.

I recently ordered my custom dial for a vx-5 3-15x44. I went with a 250 yd. zero on my .270 wsm, which puts me 1.9" high at a hundred, 2.1 high at 200, 0.0 at 250, and -2.6 at 300. Did it this way because if it's inside 325, I won't have to mess with the turret. If something is standing farther away across an open basin or something, and I can't get closer, then I figured I'd have time to mess with the dial. Otherwise, I'd rather not risk the extra time/movement, etc. Just hold dead center out to +/- 325 and it'll be within a couple inches of the aiming point. That was my logic, anyway. Hope that's helpful.
That makes some sense, but you have to sight in to be 1.9 high at 100 versus sighting it in to be dead on at 100. Couldn't you just keep your dial set to 250 or 300 and be in the same boat? Are you worried it will move somehow?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom