License Fee?

desperatehills

Very Active Member
Colorado just hit my credit card for $43 each for my wife and I. It says its for a license. Why did they not get that months ago when I applied? I have mixed emotions about not sending the tag money in. Its been well discussed here, Affordability vs draw odds. It is just odd to hit a card when they could have just collected the money before. I didn't know this was going to happen but I knew a $16 application was to good to be true

You were charged for preference point because you didn't hold a license last year.

#livelikezac

Am I right in assuming it will be the same next year? In the over all scheme of things Colorado is still affordable. I am the guy in my group of friends that studies the states draw systems and helps everyone apply. I have been doing Colorado alone for the past 11 years because nobody wanted to send off the cash. I talked a couple friends into applying this year because of the reduced cost. They should be calling me any minute the see "what's up" with the hit on there credit cards. Thanks for the info and good luck to all in the draws

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-18 AT 09:28AM (MST)[p]Yes. The only way around it is to purchase a small game or fishing license for this year, or a big game license. But if you're only applying for one tag the $40 fee is still cheaper.

#livelikezac

LAST EDITED ON Jun-05-18 AT 09:31AM (MST)[p]The rumor is next year the non-resident application fee, which was $3 this year, will go to $20. Which you will still be charged no matter what license you buy this year.

#livelikezac

Even at $20 it would still be cheaper than many other states. It would only stop me from applying for antelope which I did this year for the first time.

Yer gonna get dinged $40 for an antelope point as well if you don't draw a tag. Just FYI.

#livelikezac

>Yer gonna get dinged $40 for
>an antelope point as well
>if you don't draw a
>tag. Just FYI.
>
>
>#livelikezac

So I put my wife and I in for deer, elk and antelope. You are saying they are going to hit my credit card $43 x 6?

To my understanding yes. If you plan on applying for the same things next year like I say buy an annual fishing or annual small game license then you preference points will be "free".

#livelikezac

I think this scenario will be playing out a lot in the coming days.

#livelikezac

uugh! thats what I get for not paying attention. Looks like I need to spend another $40 x 2 this year to save money next year

>uugh! thats what I get for
>not paying attention. Looks like
>I need to spend another
>$40 x 2 this year
>to save money next year
>

Break it to her gently!?

#livelikezac

Definitely buy a small game license. There's talk of raising the preference Point fee up to as much as $100!

#livelikezac

Me and my wife both had deer tags last year but i still got dinged 43 dollars for a preference point. Guess i will have to make a phone call and see what the deal is.

I only got charged $3 for my apps, I had a Deer and a small game tag last year. I didnt get charged the fee for Points.

Jake H. BIG BONE HUNTING Page on Facebook.
458738e374dfcb10.jpg

I should have looked at the regulations closer too. I'm irritated because I didn't realize they would charge for elk,deer,antelope, and bear. My wife didn't buy a fishing license last year apparently and now I'm out 140 just for points she's not even gonna use for who knows how long.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-06-18 AT 05:39PM (MST)[p]Desperate,

The $40 fee is not a change this year. That is the same as last year and the year before. The only difference last year was you had to front all the money for the tag, then if you only wanted a preference point, they refunded all the money minus $40 per species in June. So you paid $40 per species PP last year as well.

Arnold, I am sure that the CPW is smiling all the way to the bank because there are surely many people who did as you did. As for me, I have never paid for a point because I hunt every year. Which is as it should be. Repeat customers get a break!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Ya I'm sure they are. I didn't even think about it because my wife has always bought a fishing license. I always have the small game combo plus deer and elk every year so I really haven't even paid attention to the point fees. It would be nice if they would just charge the fishing license and not ding you on every app.

TXHunter,

I'm sure your right about the $40 fee. When I started applying 12 years ago it seems it cost $26 net per species. Honestly I have lost track. In my mind it has always been send a big check off and get most of it back a few months down the road. Maybe the math will be better now. I bought my small game license for my wife and I. In hind sight I would not of put in for antelope, I have only been building points for deer and elk. But now that I have the pass for point fees next year, I guess I'll spend another $3 and work on antelope points as well

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-18 AT 08:55AM (MST)[p]Desperatehills I just spoke with the Fort Collins office in person and there is a process to surrender your preference point and get reimbursed for your preference Point fees. It isn't spelled out very well in the regulations but there is an Avenue to get reimbursed if you want to surrender your point. There is a Time window so I would call them next week and get that process in motion if you're interested in that.

#livelikezac

DW, Thanks for the info. I'll just work a couple extra hours and keep my points. I might call and get a refund for the antelope point but now that I have a small game license what's another $3 for my second antelope point next year.

Kinda what I figured by your other posts but I figured I'd let you know anyway in case one of your buddies were torqued about it. Good luck this fall!

#livelikezac

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom