Lighting storms

newguy

So last year my two brothers and I were on a backback archery elk hunt in Colorado and got caught in a lighting storm that lasted several hours, we took cover in our tents but didn't feel very secure and from what I have read tents don't offer any protection from lighting anyway, I have just started reading this site and think that the participation is great and I apolagise if this subject has already been addressed but I wanted to Know what you guys do if your caught in the middle of knowhere during a lighting storm?

Thanks,
Mark

You mean lightNing? :)

There is only so much you can do especially if you are in the high country above the timber line. I've always tried to camp near a depression or valley where you don't become the rod on a skyline. Some places you're darned if you do darned if you don't. You don't want to be out on the open as the highest point, but you don't want to be close to the highest pine either.

I used to spent a decent amount of time up on the high lakes in the Wind River range. Those storms move in quick and without much warning. I always thought to myself, this would be one hell of a show if I wasn't scared out of my wits. I don't remember what the statistics are but a good number of people get whacked by it every year.

Just looked it up. Utah ranks 11th with 22 fatal strikes from 1990 to 2003. Wyoming was ranked 21st with 14 fatal strikes. Florida was ranked 1 with 126 deaths.

Avoiding a strike in the mountains follows the same principles of real estate. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

When hunting the high country I always let 1911 walk in front of me about 20 yards or so. I have him carry the steel shooting sticks too. Makes him feel important. So far it works.
When hunting above timberline I carry bear spray in case we encounter a grizzly bear during a lightning storm. When a bear attacks I'm going to spray 1911 in the eyes with the bear spray then dash to the nearest downhill depression.

Two seasons ago I had a crazy experience with lightning. I was hunting for elk on a north facing slope covered in pine trees, I was making my way down to an old logging road when the black death cloud came over the mountain without any warning. I saw a flash of lightning so I pulled my 300 ultra mag lightning rod off my shoulder, layed it against a tree, walked about 15 feet from it and sat down on the ground. Shortly after doing this I felt the static electricity building in the air and I was actually getting tiny little shocks as I sat there. I then heard a high pitched whistle sound just before lightning struck a tree right next to my gun! I layed there in the fetal position sucking my thumb not knowing if I should cry or run. LOL. This happened on a Sunday, needless to say, I don't hunt on sunday any more!

But to answer yout question, don't get caught out in a lightning storm but if you get into an unpredictable situation like I did, make yourself the lowest point in the area your in and be smart about getting away from your weapon too.

Sometimes there is absolutely nothing you can do but pray. when I was 14 I was on a backpack trip in the Uintahs and we got caught in a nasty storm that was on top of us before we knew it. we are took shelter in the best depression that we could find and it was impossible to get away from the trees as it was a thick black forest. there was so much static in the air that all of our hair was standing straight up. about 2 mins. into this lightning storm a tree 10 feet from me shattered. bark went everywhere and the sound was deafening. when the surprise of all this wore off I found my 2 best friends dead under the tree. heartless people afterwards were always asking us why we didn't get low and away from the trees. I've learned to just turn and walk away so I don't pummel their face into the ground. if you are ever up around island lake walk to the backside to see the memorial plaque in memory of my two friends. its a scary thing to be caught in something like that and pray that no one ever goes through what I did.

Marley
That is an absolutly tragic story, its funny how everybody knows what you should of done even though they know nothing about the circumstances. I am sorry you had to experience that and I am sure it will haunt you forever.
Thanks for the replies
Mark.

Wow that sucks Marley!

Sorry you had to go though something like that at such a young age or at all for that matter.

Bill

Look out Forkie, FTW is watching us!

Sad deal Marley! Sorry you had to go though such a life-altering experience. Not much more can be said.

I was on a sheep hunt in Colorado and we'd pitched my little tent on a ridge. We couldn't find any other level spot for the tiny tent. The storm blew in and we were caught. We simply had to wait it out while lightning struck all around us. I know if we would have been injured, or worse, some folks would have been experts about what we "should" have done. Sometimes there are just things that happen beyond our control. Life's unpredictable.

Interesting post!

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom