Lightweight backcountry tents? Any suggestions??

PRCnut

Looking at upgrading to a 2 door with vestibules ? Anyone use the SlingFin Portal?? 2lbs 13oz
Also looking at:
Kuiu Mtn star2 3lbs 8oz
Big Agnes copper spur HV UL 2 2lbs 11oz
Zpacks Duplex tent. 1lb 3oz
Dan Durstan X mid 2p. 2lbs 4oz or the
X mid Pro 2p 1lb 8oz

any thoughts or recommendations??
currently using the Eureeka Alpenlite which has been awesome but looking for more room for pack and gear. Thanks

Looking at upgrading to a 2 door with vestibules ? Anyone use the SlingFin Portal?? 2lbs 13oz
Also looking at:
Kuiu Mtn star2 3lbs 8oz
Big Agnes copper spur HV UL 2 2lbs 11oz
Zpacks Duplex tent. 1lb 3oz
Dan Durstan X mid 2p. 2lbs 4oz or the
X mid Pro 2p 1lb 8oz

any thoughts or recommendations??
currently using the Eureeka Alpenlite which has been awesome but looking for more room for pack and gear. Thanks

I have the KUIU Mountain Star 2. Ive only used it once for a Wyoming deer hunt. Great tent IMO.

I’ve used this tent a lot and I’m quite happy with it. Can’t remember offhand, but I think it’s the Copper Spur.

DE7D1097-3823-43CA-B2CB-C258E68EC592.jpeg

I love my copper spur 1 P. There is a newer tent by Big Agnes called the Tiger Wall. Considerably lighter... Decent price. If I had $ I would get 2 or 3 P.

I went with heavier Manzanares 3P for family backpacking cuz I figure the dog will punch hole in it sooner or later!

20170825_155404.jpg

By the zpacks duplex and don’t look back. Been running one for years and I’m that style tent it can’t be beat. That being said other then summer scouting I pack my seek outside teepee. What it gives me back there is worth what it takes to pack for hunting season

By the zpacks duplex and don’t look back. Been running one for years and I’m that style tent it can’t be beat. That being said other then summer scouting I pack my seek outside teepee. What it gives me back there is worth what it takes to pack for hunting season
Was also considering the seek outside teepee but like a enclosed floor!! Lol. If you had to choose between the two which one would you choose?? Thanks

4 man teepee and and wood stove all packed up. Every night I go to bed dry and warm, every morning wake up the same way. It’s just part of my kit now. I can pack as far as I ever did with all the ultra light stuff I’ve used, and I’ve used a lot of it , and stay out just as long or longer. Really i don’t notice any more weight or room in the pack. I run Kifaru’s that have way more room then I need for camp in them

25CDBC2D-85DC-4DA2-AFA2-510541E0E804.jpeg

4 man teepee and and wood stove all packed up. Every night I go to bed dry and warm, every morning wake up the same way. It’s just part of my kit now. I can pack as far as I ever did with all the ultra light stuff I’ve used, and I’ve used a lot of it , and stay out just as long or longer. Really i don’t notice any more weight or room in the pack. I run Kifaru’s that have way more room then I need for camp in them

View attachment 40925
What’s your setup weigh? I have a couple kifaru tents. Which tipi/stove combo you using?

4 man seek outside with the medium stove. I think the tent and stove combo is around 8 pounds. I run a enlightened equipment 20 degree quilt and whatever the light therma rest is called (had it forever) don’t know that I e ever put it on a scale but at one point looking up the specs it’s a 10 pound sleep system. I really stopped caring about ounces a long time ago. My pack weighs around 55 pounds with weapon for a week long back pack hunt. I have everything I need without bringing much and I can pack it as far as anyone. Really it’s that stove that changed everything fir me. I almost can’t hunt without it

4 man seek outside with the medium stove. I think the tent and stove combo is around 8 pounds. I run a enlightened equipment 20 degree quilt and whatever the light therma rest is called (had it forever) don’t know that I e ever put it on a scale but at one point looking up the specs it’s a 10 pound sleep system. I really stopped caring about ounces a long time ago. My pack weighs around 55 pounds with weapon for a week long back pack hunt. I have everything I need without bringing much and I can pack it as far as anyone. Really it’s that stove that changed everything fir me. I almost can’t hunt without it
That’s a heavy setup! I like a stove too but for late hunts only.

Back to the OP I would think you would love the kuiu one. I’m not a Kuiu fan but they are nice!

I guess? I’ve done the 4 pond sleep system. That zpack duplex weighs something like 20 ounces. I’ve got all that stuff and for a summer scouting or fishing trip or just backpacking it’s good. But if you think 10 pounds is actually “heavy” you need to hit the gym.

I guess? I’ve done the 4 pond sleep system. That zpack duplex weighs something like 20 ounces. I’ve got all that stuff and for a summer scouting or fishing trip or just backpacking it’s good. But if you think 10 pounds is actually “heavy” you need to hit the gym.
I apologize if I hurt your feelers. Not intended. It’s a heavy setup. That is all. I spend enough time in the alpine to know. No gym needed. Yesterday:

FD59134E-F9CB-427D-AE1C-1CE1F5708B17.jpeg

The ad
the addition of a stove would be sweet but I’m getting past the younger days of carrying the 100lb plus packs Or a completely boned out animal along with camping gear in one trip! Thanks for sharing I’m still considering the lob tipi but with a much lighter setup!

That’s a heavy setup! I like a stove too but for late hunts only.

Back to the OP I would think you would love the kuiu one. I’m not a Kuiu fan but they are nice!
Ya the kuiu looka like they are nicely built and thought out with the poles on the outside for easy setup! I like that part

Ya the kuiu looka like they are nicely built and thought out with the poles on the outside for easy setup! I like that part
For sure. I’ll say I see more of those tents sheep hunting than any other type the last few years.

I have a tarptent stratospire li 3+ season with the solid inner tent to keep the spin drift snow out.

It's a super tight squeeze for two guys, but it does kind of have vestibules on both sides for boot and stove storage outside the inner tent. For solo work it's epic !!!

I would get it with the carbon poles so you don't have to use your trekking poles to hold it up. When hunting I always want my poles if I have to pack a critter out or get into crazy steep terrain. If you use your poles you have to take it down each day to have your poles available.

I would also get some longer aluminum stakes. The ultra light ones it comes with aren't long enough for super high winds. You will also need a foot print. I have this one - https://www.gossamergear.com/produc...loths?rfsn=2106874.7c7a83&variant=30496353228

Protects the dynema floor tub from rocks and such yet is super light.

Super expensive, but the lightest real late season tent I could find. I'm just over doing the bivy thing and dealing with the bugs all summer under tarps.

Cheers,
Pete

WP_20200730_20_51_10_Pro__highres.jpg

I have a tarptent stratospire li 3+ season with the solid inner tent to keep the spin drift snow out.

It's a super tight squeeze for two guys, but it does kind of have vestibules on both sides for boot and stove storage outside the inner tent. For solo work it's epic !!!

I would get it with the carbon poles so you don't have to use your trekking poles to hold it up. When hunting I always want my poles if I have to pack a critter out or get into crazy steep terrain. If you use your poles you have to take it down each day to have your poles available.

I would also get some longer aluminum stakes. The ultra light ones it comes with aren't long enough for super high winds. You will also need a foot print. I have this one - https://www.gossamergear.com/produc...loths?rfsn=2106874.7c7a83&variant=30496353228

Protects the dynema floor tub from rocks and such yet is super light.

Super expensive, but the lightest real late season tent I could find. I'm just over doing the bivy thing and dealing with the bugs all summer under tarps.

Cheers,
Pete

View attachment 40963
Thank you I will definitely check it out.

Does anyone know how tuff the Dyneema fabric is?? I have heard there are different types and some may rip/tear easily?

c3 or DeerLove ?

dyneema is just a brand name for uhmw fiber. same stuff all bow strings are made of today. exactly the same thing your candle from paraffin is made from. It is polyethylene.. paraffin is a low molecular weight. dyneema is fiber of a very high molecular weight of a coh2 chain. identical to paraffin just a longer coh2 chain.

How they make it into a fabric is the issue. That is why it's so expensive. Pretty sure you will never tear a dyneema tent apart no matter what you do to it or what the environment can throw at it. The stuff is epic. How it handles tears between fibers and / or leaks water I have no idea.

So far so good for my dyneema tarptent. Anyway that's just my $0.02 from 38 years in the composites and plastics business and what I know about the stuff.

Cheers, Pete

dyneema is just a brand name for uhmw fiber. same stuff all bow strings are made of today. exactly the same thing your candle from paraffin is made from. It is polyethylene.. paraffin is a low molecular weight. dyneema is fiber of a very high molecular weight of a coh2 chain. identical to paraffin just a longer coh2 chain.

How they make it into a fabric is the issue. That is why it's so expensive. Pretty sure you will never tear a dyneema tent apart no matter what you do to it or what the environment can throw at it. The stuff is epic. How it handles tears between fibers and / or leaks water I have no idea.

So far so good for my dyneema tarptent. Anyway that's just my $0.02 from 38 years in the composites and plastics business and what I know about the stuff.

Cheers, Pete
Thanks Pete! I’ve narrowed the field down to the tarptent and the Lbo tipi from Seek outside.
15E00086-8CC2-45DB-9643-9D934A66594D.png
15E00086-8CC2-45DB-9643-9D934A66594D.png
E7D5E796-8BB3-4E7C-BA6E-2249F8199367.png
C0D1B8C0-2D70-4FFF-BBDA-6FD08D64342F.png
F5518F7E-70B9-43C9-8D26-2265847000EE.png

I have the copper spur HV UL3, I had to get the 3 for the extra length since I am tall. I love it.

I've been with friends who have single wall lightweight tents like Z-packs etc. Super light weight but some days the condensation on the inside is little to much.

I have the Tarptent Stratospire 2 which sleeps 2 with lots of extra width and great headroom. Not as light as their Li version but way less expensive. Weights about 2.8 lbs. without poles as I use my trekking poles so double duty. Giant vestibules too! Love mine!

I've been using a KUIU Mountain Star 2p for several years now and love it. I've had it in all kinds of weather conditions and never had a problem. Easy to set up. Easy to take down. Perfect for one person + gear, but also sleeps two when I need to.

KUIU_Mountain_Star.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom