Lightweight gun case for travel

DonVathome

Very Active Member
My current gun case weighs 16#, that is an awful lot of the 50# weight limit, let alone airlines with a 40# limit. Are there any 2 long gun cases that are under 10#? I want room for 2 guns and extra gear.

The problem, and trade-off, with gun cases is you pay for the protection in weight. The poly ones are really thick in order to get the strength, and it adds up. My Boyt is about 24#, but indestructible. If yours is down at 16#, it sounds like an aluminum one. My ICC-1 with the locking rod is 16.5#. The lightest double cases I have seen are the Browning Mirage line, and you can get them down to about 12#. My partner has one of those, and we have never had a problem with the airline gorillas, but you never know???

They don't sell them anymore, but Cabela's used to have an aluminum 2-gun model that I have, and I was able to put two rifles, optics and other gear in there...had to use both knees to compress it, but was still under weight....Looks like the Bass pro team decided it was nice stuff and got rid of it like most things.

Just shoot a gun that exists wherever you’re going. Anywhere you’re hunting is gonna have a few guns around. Saves all the stress and some of the money it takes to hunt in distant places. Makes border crossings a breeze too! Plus has a built in excuse when you miss with a gun you’re unfamiliar with

I usually travel alone, this time flying into AK solo, using another gun is not a good option. I remember those gun cases Cabelas had - and that is exactly what I was looking for, surprised they were no longer for sale. With airline baggage prices what they are a light weight gun case is worth even more now. I will look for a used one. Thanks!

I usually travel alone, this time flying into AK solo, using another gun is not a good option. I remember those gun cases Cabelas had - and that is exactly what I was looking for, surprised they were no longer for sale. With airline baggage prices what they are a light weight gun case is worth even more now. I will look for a used one. Thanks!
I agree when you spend a lot of money , travel, and hunt I want to use my own rifle. Fins the best light weight case that will protect your rifle. Maybe you can find a location you can FedX for rifle ahead eliminating the weight issue on a plane. Find a gun shop or outfitter you can ship your rifle to, costs a bit more but that’s what it is when you want to do those type hunts.

I agree when you spend a lot of money , travel, and hunt I want to use my own rifle. Fins the best light weight case that will protect your rifle. Maybe you can find a location you can FedX for rifle ahead eliminating the weight issue on a plane. Find a gun shop or outfitter you can ship your rifle to, costs a bit more but that’s what it is when you want to do those type hunts.

The aluminum cases that Cabela's sold were the ICC (Impact Case and Container) models, and they haven't carried for a while. They are still in business and very popular. I don't know your timeline for needing it, but they show up on EBay and Craig's List quite often

I have mailed a gun before, pricey and here in Ohio they are NOT aware it is legal. I literally had a postal employee say it was illegal and say they would call the police if I showed up. Sure I would win but in the city here I am probably going to straight to jail and not making my trip. I went to a different post office and never said it was a gun - you do not have to. Plus many times post office is closed when I arrive. This time I would need to add an entire nonhunting day onto my trip. I am actually ok for this year, looking towards next year. Airlines are making a lot of money on extra bag fees - buying the best lightest gear around is worth it. I will keep an eye out for the ICC cases thanks! It is an option for coming home. Most times extra baggage fees, no matter how bad are cheaper and more convenient.

When I fly I usually carry two rifles in soft cases inside a Tuffpak and have room for a jacket, cleaning kit, and binoculars within the 50 lb. limit. Baggage handlers seem to take joy in throwing gun cases and stacking heavy luggage on top of them. The Tuffpak is extremely strong and shaped so that it is hard to place anything on top of them. Most people at hotels and airports think I am just carrying my golf clubs when they see the Tuffpak. Mine has traveled to Africa a fair few times and no damage to the contents has ever happened. They are fairly expensive, but well worth the price.

How do they charge for flying with the Tuffcase? Airline Baggage limits list a max of 62” (H+W+L). But the Tuffcase is 77” ??

How do they charge for flying with the Tuffcase? Airline Baggage limits list a max of 62” (H+W+L). But the Tuffcase is 77” ??
I used a Tuffpak to Africa in 2003 & to NZ in 2004. I believe it's included under the general 'sports equipment' like rod cases, skis, golf clubs, etc. For domestic flights I've always used one of several regular flat 2-gun cases I've owned over the years.

I probably have a good case for Don, but haven't taken any pics. They are extruded plastic & fairly lightweight. I own both a single & double, and only the single has been used.

I also recently sold the one I used most. IMO, it's the best aluminun one made -- a Kalispel double-rifle case. It was built like a tank and sells for about $400. I never tried it, but I bet you could drive across it. It's made of heavy-duty .80 ga. aluminum with all welded corners and a locking rod that goes thru all four hinges. By itself, it weighs about 20 lbs. The Kalispel Indian Tribe in Oregon was a pioneer with these types of cases. and still makes them.

1630352776137.png

Thx. Looks like “sports equipment” gets up to 115”
Thanks for posting that. It also gave Delta's antler policies, which is being discussed elsewhere on this site. I'll copy/paste it there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom