Lightweight Spotting Scope

G-Hought3

Hey guys, I currently have a swarovski 80mm spotting scope. I do a lot of hiking and backpack hunting and it kills me to carry such a heavy spotting scope around, however I spend a lot of time behind my spotting scope and want to try not to sacrifice such a valuable piece of equipment. Do any of you have alternatives that you use? A lighter but still high quality spotting scope? Thanks in advance

I went with a 15x56 Vortex Kaibab setup and my spotting scope has been gathering dust ever since. I glass with the 15's (tripod! - I use bogpod) and walk with the 10's around my next and use them for impromptu glassing.

I don't trophy hunt so I'm not trying to score and the field of view of is just nuts compared to the two. Looking at Vortex's site, the FOV between a spotting scope at 15x and the 15x binos is 140' vs 215'. That's 2.39 times as much area you can see, but models differ in FOV of course.

Here is the scope at 17x by my notes and then the binoculars at 15x.

1504img20150228145635.jpg

249img20150228145854.jpg

I bought a Minox ED50 for backpack hunts and have been very happy with it. My regular scope is a Swarovski 65 HD. It is fairly packable as well but not as much as the Minox. The minox holds it's own considering how small it is.

I would say buy the best $ can buy: either Swaro 65's mentioned above or Leicas of similar size.

I use the Leupold 12 x 40 x 60 Gold Ring HD. It is light weight, and takes up very little room in my pack.

I use a Swaro 65, but have been wanting something lighter when backpacking. Has anyone tried the zeiss dialyt 18-45x65? They sure are light and compact. I think it might fit what you're looking for.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom