"Like License" strategy to stop poaching in Utah...

G

graybeard

I just wanted you Utahn's opinion on the success you think the "Like License" strategy has had. A friend in CO who's on the Wildlife Board there was wondering, as they are thinking of using it there. I guess if you turn in a poacher and they're convicted you'd get a preference point or maybe even a permit. I'd rather have that than money. What do you think??? Steve

If that's what it takes for people to start paying attention and start getting involved then so be it. I have a very serious attitiude problem when it comes to those who have no respect for our wildlife. I would gladly take a preference point for turning someone in. I don't like being a snitch, but our wildlife resources are very sacred to me and it would totally be worth it.

I've heard from a friend, that in Washington (Where I live) if you turn in a poacher, you get like 15 preference points or somewhere around that amount. Any truth to this?

Michael

Yep, in Washington you can get bouns points to be used toward special draws if you turn in a poacher and it leads to an arrest and or charges. Keep you eyes and ears open and you could be one step closer to getting that special permit that you have been trying to get for years.
Eric

I think it is a great program that needs to be publicized more in UT. I know a couple guys who have recieved permits after turning poachers in. UT needs to put a full page in their proclamation that explains the program, shows successful hunters with their reward permits, and shows poachers who have been prosecuted.

I noticed on their website they are offering a Manti bull permit or $1000 for info on a bull poached in the area. I agree it should be more publicised. Steve

Its a great idea but not very many people here in WA know about it. A maintenance guy at the brewery has turned in somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 to 12 poachers over the past few years. 4 out of the last 5 years he has drawn a special elk permit and or deer permits. It does pay to be alert and turn the bastages in.
Eric

ericmoore90203.jpg

If I got a tag for catching poachers they could stop paying the CO wildlife officers because I would make it my second job. Around here it probably isnt that hard to catch them its just making it stick in court. But still the best idea Ive heard of.

I know of a few people who spend quite a lot of time from Nov. to Feb. in limited entry areas 'hunting' for poachers. I heard one guy say he finds a big buck and hides, waiting for someone to drive by & shoot it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom