Liking my chances more each day.

billc

2 weeks ago I was thinking my trip to Africa this year had no chance to happen. Now I am thinking by my july 7th departure date I just might be able to get over there and do my hunts after all.

I hope others who had trips planned get to go this year and enjoy some great hunting.

Yeah don't think by may anything will be happening yet. I think june will be close to. I figure may will be the start of our country opening up all goes well with that then june or july for flights to start back up for over seas trips. So many things can happen but I am hoping to go as the outfitters over there will really need some business by then.

Was scheduled to depart 4/17 so we are still trying to figure out the rescheduling. Airlines are all willing to give you one free re-book so not sure how much risk to take or just push it to next year. Fingers crossed that you are able to make your trip. Any word on them lifting Visa requirements or Corona testing requirements before entry into SA?

what I have been told Phasa has been working on it with the people they need to and the word is if the travel ban gets lifted it is back to the way it was for guys coming in from this side. That would be the thing that stops me because if the planes fly that does not mean I can get the visa or test done in time. I think they know that and realize they will need us to come to surive and will drop all that

Bill,

we have to wait and see...SA / Africa are sometimes further "behind" as when you guys think...The Tourism sector in SA is hard hit and to be honest; we as outfitters most probably going to loose a lot for the 2020 season, perhaps early 2021 season also and business from overseas are always appreciated...

KLM airlines has cancelled all flights into Windhoek through the end of June. There are no other international airports in Namibia, effectively cancelling most all international hunts through June in Namibia. My tickets are being refunded, so I will rebook whenever this nonsense abates.
Bill

My flights on emirate and air Namibia are still ok for july I checked and had my travel agent look. Some airlines are cx some flights and routes

With what South Africa released on their 5 levels to reopen the country, the chances of us going this summer I think are pretty slim now. I was scheduled for mid June but I'd be shocked if it opened at this point. They are moving to level 4 on May 1, and for international travel to open, they have to be at level 1. Things would need to progress way too fast to make any progress. I think fall hunts like October time frame could happen, maybe September, but I doubt much will happen before then. Obviously this is Africa and could change tomorrow ?

IMG-20200424-WA0008.jpg

sa or Namibia look to be closed for this season. hoping for feb or march of 21 for hunting to start back up. a few countries have opened but not sure how all that is going or how easy it is to get there. plus they have rules about coming in now with the virus and not sure we can follow the rules even if we want to with testing

Tanzania is open and safaris are being conducted. Ethiopian Airlines gets you there from USA. Word is, Emirates will be flying into DAR starting August 1. Zambia is also opened on a limited basis, again via Ethiopian Airlines. Not sure if any other countries are open at this time.

Last edited:
check the validity of your Ethiopian pilot's credentials.....if he's a pakastani....

check the validity of your Ethiopian pilot's credentials.....if he's a pakastani....

Ethiopian is now the #1 African flagged carrier, IIRC. They’ve surpassed South African Airways. I’ll still always fly Emirates first when they are an option, but right now most Africa bound hunters are glad to have Ethiopian as an option.

I had a may trip planned to take one more shot at that 70" kudu I was chasing last year. I know, prolly no one believes me but I know what I saw and theres a reason im going for my 100th or so kudu. Regardless, im going to try and go mid may 2021. However I'm on a travel ban with work until further notice. apparently the government has to approve me to go if it puts my group at risk and risks the job or something like that from what I can understand. Im beyond over this over hype bs

My buff hunt got rescheduled for June 2021, like everyone I sure as hell hope this one holds up this time. I guess I can always reschedule again but I really want to get going. With South Africa opening up, it looks promising but I would have to really adjust our trip. I will be doing the buff hunt outside of Kruger and the rest of the hunting down in the Eastern Cape. We had planned to go to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Botswana but if we have to get a negative test done every time we enter South Africa, that would be a logistical nightmare and I don't even think it would be feasible to do anyway. So it might just end up being a one country trip when all is said and done.

I had a may trip planned to take one more shot at that 70" kudu I was chasing last year. I know, prolly no one believes me but I know what I saw and theres a reason im going for my 100th or so kudu. Regardless, im going to try and go mid may 2021. However I'm on a travel ban with work until further notice. apparently the government has to approve me to go if it puts my group at risk and risks the job or something like that from what I can understand. Im beyond over this over hype bs
did you really say 100th or so kudu??

2021 can’t get here soon enough. I’ve got a hunt planned for western Tanzania, just waiting to determine exact dates.

Stomper has slayed alot of animals in Africa but 100 kudu? Hell by the time I get my ass out there they may be none left.

Just returned from Namibia on the 26th. Flew Ethiopian Air. Everything went fine although with fewer travelers the connection options were not the best.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom