Limoncello

Bates7

LAST EDITED ON Jul-24-10 AT 08:06PM (MST)[p]I was in this Oriental Market here in Chandler, AZ hunting for some loose leaf tea. I found the tea that I wanted and now I needed a basket to put it in and I ran across this little old lady looking at some itty bitty Oriental shot glasses and I made a commant to her about how small they are and she commensed to telling what she was up to. She says "I'm making limoncello" I said "what the heck is limoncello"? She told me how to make it and here's the recipe that I found online just like she told how to make it.

Authentic Italian Limoncello

Recipe from Ron Carducci. Ron says, "I have relatives in Italy and they make limoncello the same way it is made all through Italy. Additionally, almost without exception, every limoncello I order as an after dinner digestive in ristoranti all over Italy, is made and tastes pretty much the same (I speak Italian and I ask the chefs how it is made and they almost always give me a recipe that varies only slightly from the one I am including below). It is made with 95% pure grain alcohol, lemons, and simple syrup. That is it! The same is true for arancello. One bonus feature of the legit Italian recipe is that it only takes one week to make.

Folks from the Amalfi coast that I have spoken with (that's where it originated) tell me that legit limoncello, when you sip it straight, ice cold and without ice (Italians never put ice in their limoncello), should be very lemony, and smooth but have a "jolt" in the middle of it; i.e., a spreading warmth with a friendly kick. Recipes made with vodka, not Everclear Alcohol, are smooth but do not have the jolt. Plus, the vodka taste is alien to the Italian limoncello taste. Try this recipe - you'll be pleasantly surprised."

Check out more delicious Limoncello recipes:
Italian Limoncello 1
Italian Limoncello 3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Authentic Italian Limoncello

1 liter (1000 ml) of Everclear alcohol
10 medium to large lemons
1 1/2 liters of water (6 1/3 cups)
3 pounds of sugar (6 1/2 cups)

Wash the lemons with a vegetable brush and hot water to remove any reside of pesticides or wax; pat the lemons dry. Using a potato peeler, take all the lemon rinds off of the lemons so there is no white pith on the peel. Place the rind-peelings in a large container with the Everclear alcohol. Cover the container and let it sit for seven days.
On the eight day, strain the the peels from alcohol; discard peels.

In a large saucepan, make a simple syrup by combining the water and sugar; let it simmer "fast" for 15 minutes. Let simple syrup cool to room temperature. Add to alcohol.

You are now finished and can drink it right away.

NOTE: This same recipe works for arancello also. Use 10 large oranges.

Makes about 2 1/2 liters.

So now I gotta go buy some Everclear. Whooo hooo! One more week and I'll get to try my new brew. I sounds like a good elk camp drink.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

Limoncello is Italian for "Liquid Panty Remover"... :)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Yeah Buck there is a ton of panty removers in the Italian beverage book. This one sounds really yummy though.

http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_13010.jpg[/img][/url]

A girlfriend of mine makes it once a year when the lemons are ripe here in the Phx area. She gave me a 1/5 a few months ago.... Good stuff! Kind of gnarly to drink strait IMO though!! ;) I prefer a touch of it mixed with vodka/cran....

Snort nailed it though! Potent stuff for sure!!! lol

S.

:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom