Liner Socks?

COSA

Every article on the subject I've read seems to say that a poly liner sock under a heavy quality wool sock is the ticket. I keep trying, but I still prefer a plain cotton athletic sock under my heavy wool socks. Why are all the "pros" against cotton?

Cotton absorbs moisture while a poly sock wicks moisture to the outer layer so it can evaporate. At least I thinks that's the answer????

Yep,bowhuntnnut is right.Cotton holds moisture and it dries very very slow.Try a polypro or coolmax liner with your socks you will be pleased.

COSA, IT SEEMS THAN WHENEVER I BRING UP COTTON TO HUNTING PROFESSIONALS (GUIDES/OUTFITTERS) COTTON IS OUT. THE REASON IS SIMPLY, COTTON DOES NOT WICK WELL. IT RETAINS MOISTURE, THUS MAKING YOU A EASY TARGET OF HYPOTHERMIA. IN THE FIELD YOUR BODYCORE TEMPERATURE WILL DROP, IF NOT TREATED (YOU CANNOT WARM UP) MANY A OUTDOORSMAN HAVE PERISHED ON THE MOUNTAIN. THIS IS A LITTLE MORE CRITICAL WITH COTTON T-SHIRTS,PANTS..... LARGER GARMENTS. ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO GET WARM IN A SNOW, OR RAIN STORM ONCE WET. SWEAT IS ALSO A CULPRIT,...... KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY, YD.

I took a class where we went on backpacking trip and one of the points that they stressed was NO COTTON because cotton does exaclty what they have said, it absorbs moisture and dries very slowly.
casey

What cotton does to me:
Tends to bunch up, producing pressure points and therefore blisters.
Holds moisture against the foot, which makes your foot cold.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-04 AT 07:17AM (MST)[p]cotton socks + 10 miles of mountain hiking after elk= blisters and cold feet
agree with the coomax liners, best I have used.

COSA,

Couple years ago I started buying some cheapo white nylon "dress" socks from Walmart. They are very thin and only cost about $3.00 for 2 or 3 pair. I wear them under my regular athletic socks or my thermal socks depending on conditions. It seems to allow your foot to move between the "liner" and the regular sock rather between your foot and the sock. I have had no sore spots or hot spots since. I think it kind of depends on your feet and of course conditions. If your feet sweat a lot or if your boots allow your feet to get wet then cotton probably is not good even over the liners.

I really like the Wigwam and Thorlo socks from Schnees. Wear the liner underneath for the movement thing.

Thin,smooth poly pro is the only way to go. I say smooth because the smoother the liner sock is the better it will move next to the rough wool sock. This is where the friction goes instead of of between the sock and your foot.
When it comes to hunting gear, Cotton Kills!. Scrap the blue Jeans and where wool. Buy wool,wool,wool, then go out and buy some more wool. Doesn't need to be fancy either. A good pair of wool pants and shirt can be had for under 50 bucks if you know where to look.
Timberman

I agree, wool all the way and poly liner socks of some type. One question--Where can a guy find a wool shirt cheap? I buy military surplus pants that work well, but the shirts are all smalls and mediums. Just looking for an inexpensive wool shirt.

Phantom Hunter

You can get lucky in thrift stores on the wool shirts sometimes. I also think I've seen it in one of Cabela's specialty catalogs.

As far as shirts go, I think fleece is another good option for upper body wear. It's warm, light, and dries quickly. I wouldn't recommend fleece pants just because it's not as tough as wool.

Good Luck,

WH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom