Link to bill that limits nonresident tags for 2022

I think the 90% of tags to residents and no non-res tags if less than 10 will get some discussion. As a resident, I don't support the authorizing of 30% of those 10% non-res tags holders to outfitters. Let those non-res decide if they want to hire an outfitter or not as is now. Those areas with high percentages of private land are already pretty much regulated like this anyways...pay to play.

License increases will fall for deer and elk will be near other states. It cost me that much to for a deer tag in Idaho and Colorado. Heck, Wyoming is cheap when compared to the Colorado app fee. Cost me a $90 small game stamp to apply for deer.

Last edited:
Heck, Wyoming is cheap when compared to the Colorado app fee. Cost me a $90 small game stamp to apply for deer.

depends on how you are looking at it I guess. If I apply for three species and get a point in Colorado (elk deer antelope) the cost is $82 plus $9 per species application fee. Total is $109. If I apply for those same species in Wyoming in addition to buying points the total is about $160 if I apply in the regular draw (2.5% fee for CC plus 51,41, and $31 for pp).

and to the OP, I don’t think this bill as worded is going anywhere. 90/10 splits are coming but I don’t think it’s going to be on this bill.

Non-residents do need to send some emails to legislators. They do listen to non-residents and a number of them are not fans of how the outfitters try to run everything when it comes to hunting.

I know outfitters like high license fee's too because it helps to reduce the number of people in the draw. Most people going on a guided hunt aren't worried about a few hundred extra dollars, regular people who can't pay $6k for an outfitter are, and more and more will drop out with increases.

We know where it's all headed, but the slower it gets there the better for some of us. Buy time, send emails to legislators if you want to save non-resident hunting opportunity.

I wish they'd set aside 5% of tags for guys who pay consultants for information too! ha ha ha

The Outfitter Association has discussed pushing legislation similar to what Alaska uses. All elk, bear, sheep, goat and moose must be fully guided by an outfitter.

I'm not anti-outfitter at all, but I believe if they offer a service that people actually need, they'll be fine. If they don't, then like any business, they die. They don't need the state government helping them to keep their businesses going.

Where's my government handout? Can't they force 30% of people wanting to talk about hunting to use my website? Are you guys all getting government help to keep your business going?

I don't want to give up 30% of my opportunity.

Wyoming already requires an outfitter for all federally designated Wilderness, which is precisely why I don't put in for elk tags there. I enjoy hunting Wilderness, but am a DIY type. Couldn't realistically afford an outfitter if I wanted one. Would be interesting to see what would happen if surrounding states put reciprocal laws in place, e.i. if your state requires Colorado residents to hire an outfitter to hunt Wilderness, then residents of your state must similarly hire an outfitter to hunt Wilderness areas in Colorado. That might get the general hunting population in Wyoming to get that law overturned.

As far as people complaining about Colorado requiring the purchase of a small game license to apply for the draw, you do realize that most western states already require this, right? Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Idaho... In fact, Wyoming and maybe Montana might be the only states western that don't have that requirement.

Wyoming wants to severely hurt my draw odds and drastically increase my tag price? Haha They can keep my points. I’d be done.

If you guys did any research you would know wyoga. The wyoming outfitters and guides association is totally against it. They do not agree with any part of it. Might want to find out who is even on your side before you loose your minds over it

And the bill is pretty well in line with the way most other western states are ran. You guys might just find out how good you've had it all along

If the 90/10 split comes about as many expect it will, how will this effect the required 7250 NR tag requirement ?

If you guys did any research you would know wyoga. The wyoming outfitters and guides association is totally against it. They do not agree with any part of it. Might want to find out who is even on your side before you loose your minds over it
They’re against a 30% set aside of NR tags for their clients? That is strange!!! Who’s trying to force Outfitters to take a big benefit from the state? Hmmmmm
Please explain, cause I ain’t done no homework. I just added 2+2 and got 4.

They’re against a 30% set aside of NR tags for their clients? That is strange!!! Who’s trying to force Outfitters to take a big benefit from the state? Hmmmmm
Please explain, cause I ain’t done no homework. I just added 2+2 and got 4.
Maybe you should do a little more homework and less math then. Here is a direct copy paste from WYOGA's official statement:

Your Wyoming hunting rights are under attack!

It has been brought to our attention that a 90/10 license allocation bill has been filed in the Wyoming legislature. If this bill is passed it will jeopardize hunting for the non-resident hunter in the state of Wyoming as follows:

-Movement is underway to slash non-resident hunting in Wyoming by more than 50%.
-The points you have worked hard to accumulate are in danger of becoming worthless.

WYOGA is the voice for the non-resident hunter. Our board members and full-time lobbyist will work tirelessly to make sure that this bill is killed immediately.
You can help us fight for you for less than the cost of a Wyoming point. We urge you to join us in this fight to protect your opportunity to hunt in Wyoming by clicking on the following link to make a donation to defeat SF0094.
https://checkout.square.site/buy/APL6HKS3A6D27HCTF5P3FLCB
We appreciate your time by spreading the word to this important matter. The bill in its entirety can be read here:
https://wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2020/SF0094

Maybe you should do a little more homework and less math then. Here is a direct copy paste from WYOGA's official statement:

Your Wyoming hunting rights are under attack!

It has been brought to our attention that a 90/10 license allocation bill has been filed in the Wyoming legislature. If this bill is passed it will jeopardize hunting for the non-resident hunter in the state of Wyoming as follows:

-Movement is underway to slash non-resident hunting in Wyoming by more than 50%.
-The points you have worked hard to accumulate are in danger of becoming worthless.

WYOGA is the voice for the non-resident hunter. Our board members and full-time lobbyist will work tirelessly to make sure that this bill is killed immediately.
You can help us fight for you for less than the cost of a Wyoming point. We urge you to join us in this fight to protect your opportunity to hunt in Wyoming by clicking on the following link to make a donation to defeat SF0094.
https://checkout.square.site/buy/APL6HKS3A6D27HCTF5P3FLCB
We appreciate your time by spreading the word to this important matter. The bill in its entirety can be read here:
https://wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2020/SF0094
I’ve always felt the the Outfitters are the only ones standing up for NR’s. I apologize for saying or implying Outfitters might be behind this bill. But when I see that set aside verbiage, I can’t help but to believe that’s in there because Outfitters wanted it in there.
Something ain’t adding up!!

The
I’ve always felt the the Outfitters are the only ones standing up for NR’s. I apologize for saying or implying Outfitters might be behind this bill. But when I see that set aside verbiage, I can’t help but to believe that’s in there because Outfitters wanted it in there.
Something ain’t adding up!!
The 30% was put in there to try and entice the outfitters association to get behind this bill. Nothing more nothing less.

Id imagine WYOGA would absolutely want to fight this tooth and nail. The lack of forward thinking kills this one.
That is unless the real motive is to donate to wyoga?

Last edited:
Interesting. Well, hopefully it fails. Of course as a sportsmen I don’t want to lose any opportunity anywhere.
So is there a particular group pushing this? I can’t believe those Senators were just sitting around one day and this bill just popped into their mind. Someone’s pushing it.

I will call to support this. No resident hunter that wants to hunt should be passed over in a draw so a non res hunter can hunt. That goes for any state. Imagine going to your hunting spot and seeing a bunch of out of state license plates parked at the trailhead and fresh human tracks going in all directions. Or getting to your favorite saddlewhere you watched Muleys all archery season and return for rifle season only to find some clueless guy camped out with his tent pitched in an obvious deer bed when the sun comes up. Idaho is drafting legislation for similar changes and I applaud both states for taking steps to look out and support their local resident hunters. Look at res vs non res quotas in places like Alaska, Nevada and New Mexico. Sharp contrast to Wyomings more liberal non res opportunities.

I’m probably not on board with the 30% set aside but am in favor of less LQ non resident tags. Actually less non resident tags period.

I live in a western state and can say I don’t support these kind of laws. The whole public land hunting ideal we have in the west needs buyin from the whole country. Wait until the non residents no longer care to support public lands or push to change game management law at the federal level........it’s going to happen if access keeps getting shut down the way it is. You resident hunters that feel entitled to your playground that the rest of the country supports are going to have a rude awakening when your draw odds drop to almost zero in your own damn state.

I live in a western state and can say I don’t support these kind of laws. The whole public land hunting ideal we have in the west needs buyin from the whole country. Wait until the non residents no longer care to support public lands or push to change game management law at the federal level........it’s going to happen if access keeps getting shut down the way it is. You resident hunters that feel entitled to your playground that the rest of the country supports are going to have a rude awakening when your draw odds drop to almost zero in your own damn state.

Your assumption is that non public land states are going to push to punish public land states by giving control of their Wildlife to the feds?

You think Texas is going to let the feds control that circus in order to punish Wyoming for supporting their residents with tags?

You need only look around. Hunting is declining, support for public land is increasing.

Almost every western state except in Wyoming only gives 10% of the tags to Non residents. Wyoming gives 25% of all tags up front and then Non residents have a second crack in the second drawing to get more tags resulting in over 30% of total tags going to non residents. This bill was a pushback by Wyoming sportsmen groups seeking more opportunity and to better align the process to what the other states are doing. The 30% provision was a carrot to the Outfitter association to try and get their approval and they were too stupid to accept it. Now this bill will haunt them as in the future this will change and Wyoming will finally get in line with other Western states and finally offer fairness to their residents and only offer 10% of the tags as everyone else does. The outfitters will lose more clients unless they can get the state to agree like Alaska does and require all Non resident hunters to employ an outfitter for all Elk, bear, sheep, goat and moose tags.

Interesting how things work, in this thread it seems as though the outfitters are the a major ally to the nonresidents, but in the wilderness law thread they are the enemy.

As far as aligning with other western states, Colorado gives 30% of their tags to nonresidents, and in regards to resident opportunity goes I think Wyoming is unmatched by a long shot at this point. I can't uproot my family for the sake of my hobby but if I could I would head straight Wyoming, but in all fairness when I got there I would probably push for a 10% limit on NR tags, hah.

Anyway just my thoughts,

Mark,

Interesting how things work, in this thread it seems as though the outfitters are the a major ally to the nonresidents, but in the wilderness law thread they are the enemy.

As far as aligning with other western states, Colorado gives 30% of their tags to nonresidents, and in regards to resident opportunity goes I think Wyoming is unmatched by a long shot at this point. I can't uproot my family for the sake of my hobby but if I could I would head straight Wyoming, but in all fairness when I got there I would probably push for a 10% limit on NR tags, hah.

Anyway just my thoughts,

Mark,
For sure! And residents and outfitters are great friends on some issues......like some Utah dude consulting Wyoming hunters. ha ha

What a guy needs is a house in Wyoming to live in May thru Oct, and then a place somewhere warm for Nov thru Apr.

Almost every western state except in Wyoming only gives 10% of the tags to Non residents. Wyoming gives 25% of all tags up front and then Non residents have a second crack in the second drawing to get more tags resulting in over 30% of total tags going to non residents. This bill was a pushback by Wyoming sportsmen groups seeking more opportunity and to better align the process to what the other states are doing. The 30% provision was a carrot to the Outfitter association to try and get their approval and they were too stupid to accept it. Now this bill will haunt them as in the future this will change and Wyoming will finally get in line with other Western states and finally offer fairness to their residents and only offer 10% of the tags as everyone else does. The outfitters will lose more clients unless they can get the state to agree like Alaska does and require all Non resident hunters to employ an outfitter for all Elk, bear, sheep, goat and moose tags.
Not in Colorado....they are 80/20 split for high demand tags and 65/35 for low demand tags.

I think Wyoming is more like this for the first draw:
16% for Elk; 20% for antelope, deer, and Shiras moose; and 25% for bighorn sheep.

I don't think talking about the leftover draw makes sense in this context as it is separate from the first draw where if residents want the tags in the 1st draw they can have them...

This just simply isn’t true.

He is not very far off. This chart doesnt even highlight the distribution of super tags awarded to non res vs res but the last time I put in for one was for moose and at that time, more folks from TX drew successful than WY residents.

He is not very far off. This chart doesnt even highlight the distribution of super tags awarded to non res vs res but the last time I put in for one was for moose and at that time, more folks from TX drew successful than WY residents.
Not far off still doesn’t make it true...

What a guy needs is a house in Wyoming to live in May thru Oct, and then a place somewhere warm for Nov thru Apr.

This is happening more than you'd think. Lots of newly retired folks coming to the mountains for exactly 6 months and a day. They get their residency, a Wyoming license plate, and their resident licenses. Snowbirds.... live in/near the mountains during the nicer months and move back to AZ, TX, NM, FL, CA for the winter.

Last edited:
Not in Colorado....they are 80/20 split for high demand tags and 65/35 for low demand tags.

I think Wyoming is more like this for the first draw:
16% for Elk; 20% for antelope, deer, and Shiras moose; and 25% for bighorn sheep.

I don't think talking about the leftover draw makes sense in this context as it is separate from the first draw where if residents want the tags in the 1st draw they can have them...
Not far off still doesn’t make it true...
agreed but the stats still exist and are available for public review. WY cant keep the widest open door for non res hunters when other states cap at 10%. More and more hunters will come each year driving down the hunt quality for everyone. Aligning with what the other states are doing will encourage people to explore other places instead of just WY every year. Why is nobody encouraging the other states to adjust their quotas to align with WY?

This is happening more than you'd think. Lots of newly retired folks coming to the mountains for exactly 6 months and a day. They get their residency, a Wyoming license plate, and their resident licenses. Snowbirds.... live in/near the mountains during the nicer months and move back to AZ, TX, NM, FL for the winter.
yes very common around the Wyoming range

Imagine if California had the same attitude towards tickets to Disneyland. Not that I'm a fan of Disneyland, but I think Wyoming understands the economic importance of out-of-staters, not just in terms of license fees and outfitter business, but in terms of overall impact to the communities as has been mentioned.

How would they even do a 90/10 split in units that are unlimited for residents but limited for non-residents?

agreed but the stats still exist and are available for public review. WY cant keep the widest open door for non res hunters when other states cap at 10%. More and more hunters will come each year driving down the hunt quality for everyone. Aligning with what the other states are doing will encourage people to explore other places instead of just WY every year. Why is nobody encouraging the other states to adjust their quotas to align with WY?
You do realize that licenses do have a cap on them and non residents can’t just come and come and come to Wyoming in groves? The 90/10 split does absolutely nothing to remove hunters from the field. It only changes their status. Non residents as a whole are pretty uninformed about how their draw works in WY and I’m starting to see more that Many residents are as well.

The 90/10 will be passed in the next 5 years in my opinion. But It may not be all inclusive for all species, for now at least. I could see them doing it for deer, moose, buff and antelope first. Leaving the more likely guided animals alone. Couple that with any unit that is primarily private, keeps residents away from putting in the first time, NR would have increased access to the remaining tags on the second draw.

There is just too much pressure from residents for the legislature to not do something. This partial 90/10 may be their way of appeasing both sides.

The idea that the price increase will stop people from applying has already proven itself BS.

Number of NR hunters by year/species for deer, elk, and antelope. Number of NR applications for Buff, Sheep and Moose.

-------------2016--------2017------2018-------2019
Deer------20,520------20,452----21,192----Unavailable
Elk--------11,681------11,366----11,680----Unavailable
Ant-------21,671------23,621----26,140-----27,246
Buff Bull-----699---------754--------640--------509
Sheep------1,845-------2,657------2,795------2,704
Moose-----1,675-------1,887------2,088------1,754

The G&F hasn't released the harvest statistics for deer and elk for 2019, but I have e-mailed them about getting it soon.

py

Last edited:
I don't think you can live here for just 6 months and be a resident but JM77 can set me straight on that.

(1) Retirees/Snowbirds: A person who qualifies as a resident and whose domicile is in Wyoming does not lose residency status if he or she leaves the state as a part of retirement plans, provided that his or her permanent domicile and residence (real property) remains in Wyoming and they are not gone for more than an aggregate of 180 days in a calendar year.

(1) Retirees/Snowbirds: A person who qualifies as a resident and whose domicile is in Wyoming does not lose residency status if he or she leaves the state as a part of retirement plans, provided that his or her permanent domicile and residence (real property) remains in Wyoming and they are not gone for more than an aggregate of 180 days in a calendar year.
I guess I'd live in Wyoming for 185 days. Leap year could get me though. ha ha
I should start my property search now. I think I could handle living in Star Valley somewhere for a 185 days. Not sure about the wife. I'm not sure there are enough rock climbing areas up there though. hmmmmm

All of the general regions (G, H, etc.) for deer.
These are OTC for residents and the number of NR tags is set by commission and are drawn 100% by non residents. I am not being rude but that proves my statement of NRs not understanding their draws in WY. A 90/10 split would have zero effect on NR draws in general deer regions such as G/H.

These are OTC for residents and the number of NR tags is set by commission and are drawn 100% by non residents. I am not being rude but that proves my statement of NRs not understanding their draws in WY. A 90/10 split would have zero effect on NR draws in general deer regions such as G/H.
I bet the odds go down the drain though! Will be a mad rush to the door for deer and antelope

I do understand the draw and that's my point. You can't apply a 90/10 split in an area where there is unlimited tags for residents and a quota for non-residents.

I have read above that the Wyoming guides aren’t the ones pushing this change but the group that is will be around for a long time.

Who is this group and what is their stance?

I don't think you can live here for just 6 months and be a resident but JM77 can set me straight on that.

To be considered a resident of Wyoming for hunting and fishing license purposes a person must first establish residency by continuously residing in Wyoming for at least 365 days. Then, after that, you must continuously reside in Wyoming for at least 180 days each year.

You can be a snow bird after you first establish residency, you just can't be a snow bird that first year.

ClearCreek

I realize I do not live or pay taxes in Wyoming. I also know that N/R are responsible for 80% of G&F budget. I know there is a lot of money from N/R that is generated for the benefit of Wyoming residents in food, lodging, gas, and stuff. I don't know if it is still done but trespass fees were a big thing years ago east of I-25. How are those guys going to react when they are no longer getting the extra 5K to 10K a year to let N/R hunt there property. I see this as going down hill quickly. And I do believe that with the restriction on N/R hunters in wilderness areas that it will eventually end up in court.

I realize I do not live or pay taxes in Wyoming. I also know that N/R are responsible for 80% of G&F budget. I know there is a lot of money from N/R that is generated for the benefit of Wyoming residents in food, lodging, gas, and stuff. I don't know if it is still done but trespass fees were a big thing years ago east of I-25. How are those guys going to react when they are no longer getting the extra 5K to 10K a year to let N/R hunt there property. I see this as going down hill quickly. And I do believe that with the restriction on N/R hunters in wilderness areas that it will eventually end up in court.

No, NR's are NOT responsible for 80% of the GF budget.

If you have been in Wyoming for 6 months and have a wyoming drivers license and Wyoming plates on your vehicle I don't think your going to have any issue hunting as a resident

$550 for a deer tag would not bother me one bit if the did away with the special draw. All the tags in one pool, 90/10 split. No more guessing if you can buy better odds

If you have been in Wyoming for 6 months and have a wyoming drivers license and Wyoming plates on your vehicle I don't think your going to have any issue hunting as a resident
To be a wyoming resident for a hunting license you must Reside in wyoming for an entire year, not 180 days, prior to being issued a resident license.

What is it currently, I think it was somewhere in the 30s% range a few years back? Have to figure out how to count interest in those numbers and if non-resident licenses help that out or not. If you cut non-resident licenses in half, do you lose $10 million in revenue or more and if so, is that a big deal or not? Do you raise resident license fees then?

Can't really blame anyone for wanting more licenses for themselves or their group, makes sense. We are all a resident of somewhere.

Corrected, thank you. I forgot about that special 180 day snowbird rule. Should have read further, lol.

You do realize that licenses do have a cap on them and non residents can’t just come and come and come to Wyoming in groves? The 90/10 split does absolutely nothing to remove hunters from the field. It only changes their status. Non residents as a whole are pretty uninformed about how their draw works in WY and I’m starting to see more that Many residents are as well.
I do and also realize theres a higher odd for non residents to draw than neighboring states. That is appealing to someone planning an out of state hunt. Capping the non res quotas to 10%, like everywhere else will give residents better odds of drawing units they otherwise struggled to draw successfully. I enjoy my general elk and deer spots but would definitely appreciate better odds in different places within my own state. All states should do what they can to ensure their residents hunt eligibility take more priority, not just WY. If your state doesnt, than fight for change there and not somewhere you just like to occasionally visit. I still dont see why people are chastising WY for aligning with similar standards as neighboring states instead of petitioning more access or quota increases to align with WY. If its all about not closing off access and keeping public lands public, maybe its the states that have already put the 90/10 split into place that should change. But until they do, WY has no other choice then to join to keep all reasonably happy

In area 10 for moose in 2018 they gave 6 resident and 2 non resident tags thats 33%
There were 248 moose tags given to residents last year and 62 to non-residents, exactly 80%.

In Area 10, there were 8 total tags given and 7 went to residents. That is 12.5%.

There were 248 moose tags given to residents last year and 62 to non-residents, exactly 80%.

In Area 10, there were 8 total tags given and 7 went to residents. That is 12.5%.

Screenshot_20200212-134006_Chrome.jpg

This is from Sy Gilliland Prez of WOGA and Jess Johnson Wyoming Wildlife Federation" Currently Wyoming residents receives roughly 80% of the big game licenses and funds 20% of the dept. license fees. NR receive 20% of the licenses and provide 80% of the license fee funding" I misstated my first quote.

Looks like 7 to R and 1 to NR.... I didn’t put the NR random because 0 were issued but you can look it up yourself.
Hard to say what really happened says rite in the regulations for area 10 its 6 for residents 2 non residents looks like they might be covering their tracks there

Hard to say what really happened says rite in the regulations for area 10 its 6 for residents 2 non residents looks like they might be covering their tracks there
In order to maintain 80/20 there will be discrepancies in different areas from year to year. The law requires 80% to residents and they cut it as close as possible, sometimes adding or subtracting a tag.

Everyone take a breath... the bill failed at introduction....

S Failed Introduction 1-28-1-0-0

Vote recorded: 2/12/2020 2:32PM
Ayes: HICKS
Nays: ANDERSON, ANSELMI-DALTON, BALDWIN, BEBOUT, BITEMAN, BONER, BOUCHARD, CASE, COE, DOCKSTADER, DRISKILL, ELLIS, GIERAU, HUTCHINGS, JAMES, KINSKEY, KOST, LANDEN, MONIZ, NETHERCOTT, PAPPAS, PERKINS, ROTHFUSS, SCHULER, SCOTT, STEINMETZ, VON FLATERN, WASSERBURGER
Excused: AGAR
Absent:
Conflict:
Total: Ayes:
1 Nays: 28 Excused: 1 Absent: 0 Conflict: 0

I'd maybe give them a nod on a 90/10 split IF they got rid of the wilderness rule. Otherwise, no.

Glad to see this bill failed, but it will not be the last bill we see that throws NRs under the bus so to speak (and yes, I know that all the western states are doing this- it doesn't make it right for hunting or hunters though).

You know what's funny is it looks like one of the bill's sponsors even voted against it. What's up with that?

This just simply isn’t true.

yea, you are right, it’s closer to 30% considering set aside tags for Nonres. then the non preferential treatment for residents when it comes to leftover tags.

Wyoming is the most liberal western state in terms of nonresident tag allocation:

• Wyoming gives 25 percent of its bighorn sheep tags to nonresidents. Montana? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

• Wyoming gives 25 percent of mountain goat tags to nonresidents. Idaho? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its moose tags to nonresidents. Utah? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its limited quota deer tags to nonresidents. Utah? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 16 percent of its limited area elk tags to nonresidents. New Mexico? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its antelope tags to nonresidents. Montana? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

Wyoming nonresident hunting tag allocation needs to come down to the 10 percent or lower level offered by surrounding states. But as bad as this is for resident hunters, Wyoming’s sale of leftover tags is worse.

Wyoming resident hunters have no preference. In the leftover draw, which begins this week, resident hunters compete with nonresidents equally for these leftover tags.

Just last year the Wyoming Game and Fish Department went to a draw system for leftover tags. Before that, leftover deer, elk and antelope tags were sold first-come, first-serve through license selling agents and the Game and Fish website. But still, there was no resident preference. Nonresidents could and did get on their computers and started buying leftover tags once they were opened up on the G&F website.

We like the way New Mexico does it. New Mexico offers its leftover tags in an over-the-counter system like Wyoming used to ... but with one significant difference. New Mexico residents get a 24-hour head start. For the first 24 hours leftover tags are available for sale, only New Mexico residents can purchase them. After the 24 hours are up, the leftover tags are available to everyone to purchase, regardless of residency.

Last edited:
Nevada does not have a moose season

Wyoming gives 20 percent of its moose tags to nonresidents. Nevada? 10 percent.

Colorado gives everyone an equal shot in their leftover draw.

Leftover tags are usually left over for a good reason.

In Colorado, NM, and Wyoming, it's usually easy to draw one of those "leftover" tags in the first draw by properly applying.

New Mexico is also less generous to NR than Colorado or Wyoming, but I still read a lot of comments from NM residents about being unable to draw in their own state.

“Wyoming gives 20 percent of its moose tags to nonresidents. Nevada? 10 percent.” That’s why there was a question mark after it. Utah surely fits that bill and most other Western states are similar.

Since this is a copy/paste from the Mountain Pursuit website, I'm assuming your a spokesperson for them then. Has Mountain Pursuit figured out how the State will recoup/make-up that lost revenue from non-res? And how many other sportsmans groups from Wyoming that you state above supported the failed bill? It got crushed yesterday at the state level.

https://www.mtnpursuit.org/why_don_t_wyoming_hunters_get_preference_for_leftover_tags

yea, you are right, it’s closer to 30% considering set aside tags for Nonres. then the non preferential treatment for residents when it comes to leftover tags.

Wyoming is the most liberal western state in terms of nonresident tag allocation:

• Wyoming gives 25 percent of its bighorn sheep tags to nonresidents. Montana? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

• Wyoming gives 25 percent of mountain goat tags to nonresidents. Idaho? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its moose tags to nonresidents. Utah? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its limited quota deer tags to nonresidents. Utah? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 16 percent of its limited area elk tags to nonresidents. New Mexico? 10 percent.

• Wyoming gives 20 percent of its antelope tags to nonresidents. Montana? 10 percent, but if fewer than 10 tags are offered for that area, nonresidents can’t draw.

Wyoming nonresident hunting tag allocation needs to come down to the 10 percent or lower level offered by surrounding states. But as bad as this is for resident hunters, Wyoming’s sale of leftover tags is worse.

Wyoming resident hunters have no preference. In the leftover draw, which begins this week, resident hunters compete with nonresidents equally for these leftover tags.

Just last year the Wyoming Game and Fish Department went to a draw system for leftover tags. Before that, leftover deer, elk and antelope tags were sold first-come, first-serve through license selling agents and the Game and Fish website. But still, there was no resident preference. Nonresidents could and did get on their computers and started buying leftover tags once they were opened up on the G&F website.

We like the way New Mexico does it. New Mexico offers its leftover tags in an over-the-counter system like Wyoming used to ... but with one significant difference. New Mexico residents get a 24-hour head start. For the first 24 hours leftover tags are available for sale, only New Mexico residents can purchase them. After the 24 hours are up, the leftover tags are available to everyone to purchase, regardless of residency.

You chose all the states that make your point except for Colorado:

Colorado gives over 28% of their elk, deer and antelope tags to nonresidents:

Should they also reduce it to 10%? Anyone from Wyoming hunt in Colorado? Wyoming and Colorado may be unique, but they are the ones that currently cater to non-resident hunters and seem to like their money.

When it comes to moose, sheep, mtn goat and bison, every state but Wyoming is from zero to 10% with their nonresident allocation. Wyoming is 20-25% with those species. I have zero heartburn with how we treat nonresidents with elk, deer and antelope, except for in the leftover draw.

90/10 is just gaining steam, but it will take years to sort through how it will be done and with what species.

Last edited:
This is from Sy Gilliland Prez of WOGA and Jess Johnson Wyoming Wildlife Federation" Currently Wyoming residents receives roughly 80% of the big game licenses and funds 20% of the dept. license fees. NR receive 20% of the licenses and provide 80% of the license fee funding" I misstated my first quote.

Wrong on so many levels. First, go back and READ your post that YOU wrote.

You said, "N/R are responsible for 80% of the game and fish budget". That's 100% wrong and totally false.

Next, lets look at what Sy Gilliland and Jess Johnson are saying, that NR are responsible for 80% of the GF license revenue through 20% of the tags. Also, a huge distortion of the truth. I can tell you for a fact that neither Sy or Jess are painting the true picture. Yeah, NR's are funding 80% of the budget, but not from only 20% of the available tags. A vast majority of NR pronghorn license revenue is NOT from the 20% allocation, in fact, most of it isn't.

Same with elk, same with deer...

So I suggest getting your "facts" straight.

Trying to fully understand, Buzz. I read your explanation above and I’m not sure I’m following. I get what your saying with antelope tag allocation being more than 20% for NR. A quick look at the 2017 budget shows that’s true. Wouldn’t that mean that if NR were restricted to a true 10% of tags there would be a substantial budget deficit? With very quick and rough math, in 2017, if NR were restricted to a true 10% of antelope tags, there would be a 3 plus million dollar deficit. That’s just antelope.

Now since elk have a mandatory NR allocation, there shouldn’t be a budget shortfall for that species.

I guess what I’m getting at is,has anyone actually crunched the true numbers? If so, what is the shortfall in revenue generated by license sales? What is the plan to make up that shortfall?

I apologize if I’m beating a dead horse.

When it comes to moose, sheep, mtn goat and bison, every state but Wyoming is from zero to 10% with their nonresident allocation. Wyoming is 20-25% with those species. I have zero heartburn with how we treat nonresidents with elk, deer and antelope, except for in the leftover draw.

90/10 is just gaining steam, but it will take years to sort through how it will be done and with what species.

Washington sheep, moose and goat have no non-resident cap.
Residents and non-resident all in the same draw.

Has Mountain Pursuit figured out how the State will recoup/make-up that lost revenue from non-res? And how many other sportsmans groups from Wyoming that you state above supported the failed bill?

https://www.mtnpursuit.org/why_don_t_wyoming_hunters_get_preference_for_leftover_tags

Not even sure who Mountain Pursuit is, this was from the Wyoming trib newspaper, you know a local Wyoming newspaper where locals get their information. As for how does the Game and Fish get their revenue, it is pure and simple hunting license increases. Over 40+ years of hunting in a Wyoming and it always goes up. Hopefully even more for the Non res. as they are lining up in droves and only getting bigger is the pool of Non res. hunters. This bill had a provision for that. Mark my words the licenses will go up and the 90/10 will be looked at again, though this one was a bad one as it had a welfare handout for the outfitters who were too stupid to support it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom