Links & other stuff...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...on a fresh crispy bolillo. Sauteed sliced jalapenos, onions & BBQ sauce atop fried hot links. Some good ol' fries & homemade slaw made for a complete meal.

linkspeppers.JPG

linkspeppers2.JPG

linkspeppers3.JPG

I saw your post and went right to the freezer for this afternoon’s meal

View attachment 70325
When I killed my last mule deer in CO, I had the entire thing processed into summer sausage (didn't need cooking) before I left for home. I wound up with a 54 qt. ice chess full. I had both cheese & jalapeno varieties done. The jalapeno was the best. It's been all gone for a couple years now.

When I killed my last mule deer in CO, I had the entire thing processed into summer sausage (didn't need cooking) before I left for home. I wound up with a 54 qt. ice chess full. I had both cheese & jalapeno varieties done. The jalapeno was the best. It's been all gone for a couple years now.
This is from the WT I shot a couple days after Christmas. 2 weeks ago I Brought home 50 lbs, smoked sausages, breakfast sausage, snack sticks, backstrap and a couple packages of bacon wrapped tenderloin

I forgot to mention the new way I did my fries.

I peeled & cut them, then soaked in water for 1/2 hr., changing the water twice. Then i filled a bowl 1/2 full of water, added the fries & nuked for 10 min., basically par boiling them. A few min. in the deep fryer just before serving finished them.

Where people usually fall down on double fried potatoes is to cook too hot, and too quickly on the first trip into the oil. I like to keep my oil 320-330 degrees, and cook for about 5-8 minutes, and that will get them cooked all the way thru. Depending on how many fries I have, I can adjust the pot size and depth of oil. . Too many fries in a smaller pot will cool the oil down too much and too quickly; better to do two batches.

Pull them out and let drain, and while its draining raise your oil temp up to 360-375. Second trip into the oil is quick, and only 2-3 minutes to get crispy exterior.

Where people usually fall down on double fried potatoes is to cook too hot, and too quickly on the first trip into the oil. I like to keep my oil 320-330 degrees, and cook for about 5-8 minutes, and that will get them cooked all the way thru. Depending on how many fries I have, I can adjust the pot size and depth of oil. . Too many fries in a smaller pot will cool the oil down too much and too quickly; better to do two batches.

Pull them out and let drain, and while its draining raise your oil temp up to 360-375. Second trip into the oil is quick, and only 2-3 minutes to get crispy exterior.
Aaah, maybe that's the secret then. I've done it in my deep fryer at 375 for each cook. Do you let them cool completely?

The par boiled ones last night were decent but not quite as crisp as I like. I was thinking of doing an already cut & boiled wholesale batch for the freezer. I'll maybe need to experiment with the initial boil time more.

I think the boil process will give you a crisp crunchy exterior, but softer inside. I don't know if it will be an Overall "crunch". Worth trying to see.

As for the 2 fry method, I just let them cool while the oil is heating. On the side burner on my BBQ grill, that's probably 5 minutes. If I'm doing it on the big 80K BTU cooker, it might just be a minute or two at the most.

Several of our friends here in town are actually "potato scientists!!" They all either run their own farms, or work for either Idahoan Foods, or Myles Willard Corp. Pretty much every snack ever developed from spuds was made here first.

I think the boil process will give you a crisp crunchy exterior, but softer inside. I don't know if it will be an Overall "crunch". Worth trying to see.

As for the 2 fry method, I just let them cool while the oil is heating. On the side burner on my BBQ grill, that's probably 5 minutes. If I'm doing it on the big 80K BTU cooker, it might just be a minute or two at the most.
Though they looked & tasted good, they were kind of limp. So I'm thinking maybe a shorter par boil time would be better.

Over the last two weeks, I've also tried partially baking them in the nuker first a couple times. They weren't too bad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom