Lion????

bucks

Been out for the last couple of days looking for a track to run with no luck at all over 250 miles,What a shame I sure hope the game managers are happy with this ####un limited tags on a unit that has taken at least 9 years to draw in the past,27 lions killed to date, might want to consider selling your dogs there is not going to be nothing to run when you kill them they quite making tracks!!!!!

No, I like mule deer! In my state, hunting with dog is banned and the lions have decimated the deer herds. I wish they were all dead. Even better, I wish you could hunt them with your dogs, then we would both be happy! :)

Wrong forum to whine on. Just a bunch of idiots that can’t kill deer or elk. They all need to blame the lions. Surely their lack of skills isn’t the problem

Haha! I'm not saying I can't kill anything, I'm saying the lions have been a huge factor in taking the deer population to the toilet. I'm cheering for all you hardcore predator guys to have success! The only one whining about not being able to kill anything is the OP.

Oh yea there wasnt any lions in the 60's during the hay day of the mile deer rite? Haha what a fool. Management is the problem not lions

Interesting how a Houndsman comes on a cries fowl that there aren't any lions.
But, It's the Houndsman doing all the killing. @Mike, may want to direct your energy at your cohorts and get them to stop killing everything they tree.

And, before you berate me for hating lions, I do not agree with the unlimited tags. I actually think that killing this many lions will not have that much effect on deer numbers. There is a laundry list of reasons we don't have a healthy population of deer in Utah and too many lions is way down that list.

Quoting Homer's article
"1960
    It is estimated that Oregon's cougar population has dropped to only 200 animals."
In 1960 the mule deer population estimates were around 750,000+

Recent data:
1611984426853.png

The Mule Deer population had remained around 300,000 for several decades. It was fairly stable until 1998 (hunting cougars with dogs was outlawed in 1994)

3000 cougars statewide in 1994

There are now ~6500 cougars in Oregon

True, there are many factors hammering the Mule Deer, but in Oregon, cougars are a huge factor.

1960: 200 cougars, 750,000 deer
2020: 6,500 cougars, 170,000 deer

It's hard to not connect those statistics in some way.

Quoting Homer's article
"1960
    It is estimated that Oregon's cougar population has dropped to only 200 animals."
In 1960 the mule deer population estimates were around 750,000+

Recent data:
View attachment 23738

The Mule Deer population had remained around 300,000 for several decades. It was fairly stable until 1998 (hunting cougars with dogs was outlawed in 1994)

3000 cougars statewide in 1994

There are now ~6500 cougars in Oregon

True, there are many factors hammering the Mule Deer, but in Oregon, cougars are a huge factor.

1960: 200 cougars, 750,000 deer
2020: 6,500 cougars, 170,000 deer

It's hard to not connect those statistics in some way.
Mule deer herds are in decline through out the west there are many reasons not just
Predators,
Humans , technology ,habitat loss development climate,change and many many more things

Well keep hitting it there should be a decent cat or two roaming around there but I do know it's getting harder to find a a trophy sized tom here in the northeast..lots of houndsmen out here

I do know if you turn loose on one in that country if he hasn't got a full belly you'll earn him lol...good luck

IMG_20210131_104553.jpg

You just went out for a couple of days ?? your season started in Nov and runs thru May.... Maybe you should get out early and often... Hey I have a great Idea try Jogging ..
any clue where that video was filmed at

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom