Lions and deer

Butts

As a group we witnessed something in 2019 that I thought would never be possible. There where more mountain lions spotted than 24” bucks during the hunt.
When is Idaho going to give this fragile species a damn break? Something has to give! Tag allocation, predators and winter range passage!
Can Idaho at least tackle one of these
issues? The best genetically speaking units in the state for deer are getting the worst management style to maximize overall herd health!!

Or maybe these units are looked at by the IDFG as cash cows. Knowing that tags will be sold solely on the fact of a decent buck “could”to be found..

What’s your fellas opinions?

Sounds like a bunch in Idaho. I spend most my time in CO, WY and some in Utah and I don’t see cats. But, I also don’t see the wolves either.

Doesn't Idaho allow you to tag a lion or bear with your deer tag?

Just saying. I'd kill a cat in a heart beat, especially if it's that bad.

What was the ratio 1-0? It’s hard to believe that it was a 20-3 ratio it’s $hithouse luck to see 1 lion out in day light. I got a good buddy who is a die hard hunter that did see 4 one day during archery elk just south of Idaho.

I correct myself. I believe it is only non residents that can use their deer or elk tag on a wolf, bear or lion.

However, a resident lion tag is very cheap. I'd always have on while in the field.

4 different mature lions to 2 mature bucks in 7 days afield...

Rmanwill, I’m talking long term strategy. I get your point...,however what the hell is a guy with a buck / bull tag really gonna do to make a difference.... really?

I saw 6 lions and 5 bucks in 3 days last October. Southern Idaho. Wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see it.

I don’t understand why your not taking them home with you. Lions are on a 25 year high, not just in Idaho but across the West. We had over 60 sightings this winter in our valley alone. As far as bucks are concerned,we are no longer a trophy deer state we are an oppurtunity state. If you got the cash we will give you, your mother and all your friends a tag. All of our trophy controlled deer hunts are pushed to the max, then ad the never ending over lapping seasons that coincide with our deer hunts. The farmers now own the fish and game, the protection of their farms comes first. Would you to talk Wolves?

Butts. I agree with you and something needs to be arrange to control the lion, bear and wolve numbers in Idaho. You have them all and a lot of them. Funny there is still any big game left.

All I'm saying is one lion kills alot of deer a year, so for everyone that a big game hunter kills by chance while hunting is one less lion and a bunch more deer.

I wish Utah allowed the same thing. Lion hunting is pretty much all limited draw or quota hunting here.

At least Idaho allows it?.

Legal and no worries about SSS -shoot, shovel and shut up, like so many joked about with wolves before there was a legal season.

Best of luck to you in your draws and hunts this year. Hope the state figures out how to control your predator's. I for one will try to help with the wolve numbers if I stumble on to one while bear hunting your state. As I will spend the $31.75 to have the tag in my pocket??.

Butts. I agree with you and something needs to be arrange to control the lion, bear and wolve numbers in Idaho. You have them all and a lot of them. Funny there is still any big game left.

All I'm saying is one lion kills alot of deer a year, so for everyone that a big game hunter kills by chance while hunting is one less lion and a bunch more deer.

I wish Utah allowed the same thing. Lion hunting is pretty much all limited draw or quota hunting here.

At least Idaho allows it?.

Legal and no worries about SSS -shoot, shovel and shut up, like so many joked about with wolves before there was a legal season.

Best of luck to you in your draws and hunts this year. Hope the state figures out how to control your predator's. I for one will try to help with the wolve numbers if I stumble on to one while bear hunting your state. As I will spend the $31.75 to have the tag in my pocket??.

Hope the tag gods bless you also! Utah did double the quota on lion tags this year in quite a few units. That will help tremendously.

Catch lions all the time

4294227_orig.jpg

Butts and HalfAce,

You saw 10 lions between the two of you while deer hunting and neither of you tagged one? You both had opportunity to do something about lions in the area you hunt deer if you think lions are a problem.

Yeah, I gotta agree with Brian on this one. Everyone has this pipedream that they're gonna kill a monster muley on their tag and they don't want to "waste" it on a lion but the reality is that by killing the lion(s), they're much more likely to kill bigger bucks in the future. Hard to draw trophy tag---I get it. But on a run-of-the-mill OTC tag, I wouldn't admit that I saw that many lions and didn't use my tag on one.

Butts and HalfAce,

You saw 10 lions between the two of you while deer hunting and neither of you tagged one? You both had opportunity to do something about lions in the area you hunt deer if you think lions are a problem.

I never said that people in our hunting party didn’t take advantage of the opportunity given!!

I have absolutely no quarrels about eating a deer tag, to take a predator.

Young predators are pretty tasty, older predators with green belly are supper stinky and evan the meat smells bad. Good job 12 gauge.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom