Little Help

Mooretitan

In the middle of gathering information for my sons youth elk hunt and I am trying to get a feel for our scouting trip at the end of July. The plan is start on the South Slope, work into the North Slope, then to Kamas and finally into Zion. We are planning roughly about 10 days to take a look around and get a feel of what we are getting into. Planning on spending 4 days on the South Slope and then 2 days in the other units. More than likely this will be mostly a scouting trip with maybe a little fishing mid day at some high country lakes. A few questions for you guys if you have time.
1. How rough are the roads in these 4 areas. Does it make sense to have to spare tirea
2. Would like to scout areas that are more high country or broken country. Trying to stay away from the dark timber as much as possible. So instead of areas to scout, what areas would you suggest staying away from to avoid the timber.
3. For a scouting trip should I bring the Rhino or is the truck fine. I can get into most places but if I can avoid completely beating the crap out of my truck I will use the Rhino.
4. Is the time frame to scout each area enough or would you set it up differently? I probably wont get another chance to get out there before the season starts so hopefully this will get us a good game plan started.
5. Are there any strange hunting or camping laws that I might need to know about?
6. What calls would you suggest getting? Probably will stick mostly to cow calls and hope for the best.

I have calls into the local game wardens for each unit and hope to talk to them next week. We have a rough map of some areas to check out for each unit but any suggestions are welcomed. I am ordering OnX maps so I should have a good map system set up. Any

If it were me; I’d spend more time in 1 area learning it the best I could. Chances are it’s going to take longer than 2 days to learn an area. All the units hold elk, you just have to find them.

Hopefully I will be able to narrow it down to 2 or 3 after talking to more people and the bios/wardens next week. My biggest concern is finding elk in late July and them still be in the same area during the hunt. I am sure the archery hunters will have pushed them around some before we get there.

N slope.

I'd bring the rhino. There are some fee camping areas but mostly your good anywhere. Might be fire restrictions

Lot of dark timber. I'd find good looking spots for fall, where they are in July will be different than Sept. The rut is in full force during that youth hunt.

But I'd agree with earlier post, id narrow it down. The Uintas are huge, 2 days won't do much

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom