Liver???

SlowElk

When i took my oldest daughter to Hunter Ed., the instructor told us to never waste meat, especially the liver. I've never been able to stomach eating liver. The instructor said it was all how you prepared it. He never gave us a recipe. Anyone got any suggestions for preparing liver so that it is palatable? Or, do I cut it in chunks and use it for catfish bait? Thanx in advance!

Those are guts...that filter all the bad stuff out of a deers system...leave that crap in the woods.

Not all liver is the same, some just has some seriously stiff smell/flavor. However, I eat mine with the kidney's of my game. I rinse it and pat it dry. Then, I slice it thin or chop it into small cubes (along with the kidneys) and cook it on medium heat in olive oil/bacon grease.

Cook it until all the moisture is gone (you can speed process along by dumping moisture that builds about half-way through) which takes a lot of the "bloody" flavor out of it. Add some seasoning salt to finish it, then put that b*tch in a tortilla and slap some salsa on it and enjoy!

I soak mine in a little salt water for an hour or so to remove as much blood as possible. Then remove all the tough parts, or silverskin or whatever you call it. Salt and pepper and garlic salt and then lightly flour. Fry with a little oil on medium heat and don't over cook. A little pink in the middle is okay too. It will get tough if it's over cooked.

Remove the liver and fry up your onions in the same pan. After the onions are done put the liver back in the pan just to reheat it.

Edit: I used to soak liver in salt water but I forgot that soaking in milk worked better. Just don't use much salt in the water.

Last edited:
Cut in strips ( rinse good ) . Get a gallon freezer or storage bag put a couple inches of flour in it. Then put some season salt, garlic powder, and black pepper to taste. Stick a wet fork in the flour to test the flavor. whip some eggs in a bowl then dip the strips in the eggs then put in the bag of flour. After you have done this to all of the strips go back and dip and flour each strip again. Then fry in your favorite kind of oil. Fried onions in butter with a can of Golden Mushroom soup over the top when done go pretty good with them...

What state? In CO, edible meat is the 4 quarters, tenderloin, back-strap and that is it. Organs are not included in that.

Everytime I carry out a liver, I wonder why I did it as I can't get it to cook worth a hoot.

TR said that elk tongue was a delicacy.

I have no problem with elk tongue. Boiled with bay leaves, sliced thin, with smoked provolone, on a cracker. I could never stand eating liver, even slathered with horseradish. Used to have to eat liver once a week as a kid.

I almost bought some beef liver yesterday at Winco, then I saw they had whole tenderloin on sale for $6.95/lb. so I got that instead.

My dad and I shared a porcupine liver one morning when we were deer hunting. It was pretty strong.

I keep all the livers, hearts and tongues fro my big game. for Some reason it seems like the larger the animal the worse the liver ie... Antelope is the best followed by deer and then elk. Moose liver is ok. Soak it in salt water over night, trim off anything that seems like you wouldnt want to eat it. Only leaving the pure meat I save all the trimmings off organs for my dogs. With a little work you will not be disappointed. Both heart and liver sautéed with onions can be quite delicious. Boil your tongues, peel and slice then fry or serve in tacos. If you take the time to do it right I have always thought these were some of the finest meals.

Even if you don’t like liver - it makes the best dog treats!! Cubed and sauteed. Freeze in small quantities and take out when you go for walks. You will never lose fido, who will be glued to your hip.

I keep all the livers, hearts and tongues fro my big game. for Some reason it seems like the larger the animal the worse the liver ie... Antelope is the best followed by deer and then elk. Moose liver is ok. Soak it in salt water over night, trim off anything that seems like you wouldnt want to eat it. Only leaving the pure meat I save all the trimmings off organs for my dogs. With a little work you will not be disappointed. Both heart and liver sautéed with onions can be quite delicious. Boil your tongues, peel and slice then fry or serve in tacos. If you take the time to do it right I have always thought these were some of the finest meals.
Be careful feeding raw Organs especially Liver to your dogs. There is alot of different parasites that can be given to your dog and even you.

Liver? Tongue? No sir... I'll Pass. I'll eat nuts before those and even the nuts took a good plenty of liquid courage. Blahhh...

wife made pate a few times with deer liver. lots of herbs and it comes out tasting like a thanksgiving treat - with some nasty taste mixed in! they say it's good for your own liver health, so we eat it. can't do the liver and onions thing though.

You're Perty F'N Hungry When You Chew On Liver & Then Bold enough to say:

Damn that was Good!

Or:

How many Drinks did that take to Taste Good?

Dont get much better than fried liver and onions.
With mashed potatoes and turnip greens!!!
Dang!!!

My son always gives me crap about taking the liver but I love deer liver the best. And after watching all the Alaskan's eating the tongues on TV I am going to try it this year if I get a deer.
When you are feeling like you are lethargic eat Liver and it will improve your moods.
straight protein

Years ago I was hunting in Wyoming with family and my high school principal, anyways I shot a sage hen in the morning and breasted it out, I’d never eaten one so I was gonna try it, tossed it in the ice chest and down the road we went, around lunch time I ended up shooting a buck, gutted him dragged him to the truck and on to camp we went, when we got there my principal was all smiles, liver and onions it was for dinner? That is until I let him know that I didn’t bring the gut pile back with me! My step dad says he grabbed the liver but there wasn’t much left because I had shot it up a little, I’m thinking no I shot it in the hip and then in the neck?? Well pops grabs the ziplock bag with the bird breast in it, not enough for everyone to have some I gladly gave it to my principal! He cooked it and ate it and never shut up about how good that liver was, best liver he ever ate! Long story short is that if sage hen breast meat is the best liver he ever ate there was no way in hell I was gonna eat either of them! Guts stay on the mountain for the scavengers, on occasion I will pack a heart out if someone asks, but for the most part I tell everyone I shot it in the guts sorry! Coyotes gotta eat same as the buzzards

LMMFAO!

LIVER!

SAGE CHICKEN!

Now there's a F'N Pair!

Elk, I’ve never tried sage hen so I can’t say for sure, but I did finally try liver a few days ago, let’s just say I could see where someone might think sage hen was the best liver they’ve ever eaten?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom