Living in MT

Chow_Hound

My wife and I are a year away from being empty nesters and plan to fulfill a lifelong dream of moving out west (currently live in VA). We have been out west many times, but never to MT. It is such a large and diverse state, it is difficult to even try and narrow down to general areas to look at. Was hoping to get some suggestions.

Employment is not an issue for me. I love hunting big game, but birds and waterfowl are my true love. Ideally would like to find a small town with some basic amenities where I can be hunting and fishing within 15 minutes of my house. Also, it doesn't do me any good to be in the best hunting and fishing and not be able to access any of the land so decent public access is very important.

Thanks

>My wife and I are a
>year away from being empty
>nesters and plan to fulfill
>a lifelong dream of moving
>out west (currently live in
>VA). We have been
>out west many times, but
>never to MT. It
>is such a large and
>diverse state, it is difficult
>to even try and narrow
>down to general areas to
>look at. Was hoping
>to get some suggestions.
>
>Employment is not an issue for
>me. I love hunting
>big game, but birds and
>waterfowl are my true love.
> Ideally would like to
>find a small town with
>some basic amenities where I
>can be hunting and fishing
>within 15 minutes of my
>house. Also, it doesn't
>do me any good to
>be in the best hunting
>and fishing and not be
>able to access any of
>the land so decent public
>access is very important.
>
>Thanks

Twin Bridges. Tons of incredible fishing as well as ample public land to hunt. If you want more info shoot me a PM.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-19-16 AT 11:01PM (MST)[p]+1. Lewistown's really cool.

Also, Check out Sheridan, WYOMING.

I've been all over this state and the coolest town of all is Sheridan, WY.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

Also consider Idaho, plenty of hunting and world class fishing. Lots of small towns and terrain types to choose from. Good luck

Those that are suggesting Wyoming, can you post why please?

Wife and I are younger but bored currently even though we make decent $ and considering moving somewhere with better hunting and public land.

For those of you that live in MT (or in WY) how do you see the future of hunting and fishing in those states long term? Do you see the Fish and Wildlife doing good management? Or are they trying to sell out to big $, putting environmentalists first, etc. I originally came from CA and DFG there completely ignored the hunters and fishers in favor of radical environmentalists. This led to closures of massive areas to fishing, lead free projectile laws, and a bunch of other BS. One of my biggest reasons for leaning to WY is that I see it as less likely to fall victim to a similar problem as not many people want to move there.

Thanks!

If access to public land to fish, camp, hunt, boat is a priority for you than Sheridan WY simply cannot be beat. I've spent time from Alzada to Libby and Darby to Plentywood.

Sheridan has close access to my favorite areas in montana.

Just in reguards to the wind I would love there over anywhere in MT.

Are you saying the wind is worse in MT than WY?

Never visited much of MT but everyone I've talked to always complains about the wind in WY as being the worst anywhere.

My favorite place in Montana is the Whitefish area, plenty of fishing and hunting. Great community friendly people and the area is beautiful

You should go for a trip once the snow is gone so you can see the country better. Travel around to the smaller communities and talk to the people. I expect you will get a better feel for where you want to settle down and stay

just my two cents worth

Upland birds: Miles City. Also deer, antelope, predators, varmints.

Lewistown, Dillon, Havre all good.

For Wyoming Sheridan's tough to beat! Great town, work there sometimes and they all seem to be having way too much fun outside.

Casper is windy. So is Laramie, rock springs, Evanston and many places.

Sheridan not so much. Way less windy than Billings. Like I said, I've been to every town in Montana and most in Wyoming. If you like to fish and hunt, Sheridan Wyoming cannot be beat.

I did the move from MN to MT.
We are building a home near Lewistown. In my opinion the Judith Basin is the best of the best in MT, or anywhere for tat matter.

I moved from NV to MT 3 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Had a friend who lived in Sheridan, WY...cool place!
They release pheasants throughout the upland season, which was weird I guess. I agree that Lewistown is a good spot; upland/waterfowl/turkey hunting is decent and big game hunting is aplenty. With decent public land around to boot.

chowhound hasn't been back since his post in 2016.....do you think your advice matters to him???

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom