Living in Nevada

El Gringo

Very Active Member
Some life changes have put me in a position that I’m considering relocating to the Reno/Carson Area. Can you Nevada guys give me the Pros/ Cons about life in Nevada? Anything you particularly like/ dislike?

Thanks!!

No state income tax!

I live in Elko, which is quite a bit more rural than where you are headed, but my favorite things about NV are the outdoor opportunities. They might be a little harder to find, but once you do, you don't have to share it with many other people. I have had some of the best fishing/shed hunting/bird hunting/big game hunting (if you can draw a tag) of anywhere else I have lived.

On the con side, you do have to get used to driving a little further to find all of that.

No state income tax!

I live in Elko, which is quite a bit more rural than where you are headed, but my favorite things about NV are the outdoor opportunities. They might be a little harder to find, but once you do, you don't have to share it with many other people. I have had some of the best fishing/shed hunting/bird hunting/big game hunting (if you can draw a tag) of anywhere else I have lived.

On the con side, you do have to get used to driving a little further to find all of that.
This is basically exactly what my research so far has indicated. Thanks very much for the reply

Both cities are pretty good 45 minutes from multiple lakes good fishing hard to draw tags but you never know I’ve drawn premium with one or no points. Traffic is not terrible crime is not terrible. I’ve lived here my whole life I know it’s not how it used to be but it’s still pretty damn good.

I moved to the Sparks area from Central Utah for work about 2 years ago. Nevada is a great place to live, great neighbors, and many outdoor opportunities.
The biggest con is going to be the cost of housing. Depending on where you are coming from it might be quite a shock. I think the average home price in the Reno area is about $450k now. ———-SS

Sparks Shooter nailed the con. Reno is one of the highest median home prices for a mid size city in the nation. I believe it’s 8 or 9.

My family has been here for multiple generations and many of us moved away for college and now all moved back. Outdoor opportunities and solitude brought us back. It’s a great place.

I'd love to know about retirement opportunities in Nevada..I've been looking into various states..Idaho, Arizona, to name two. What about NV?

Keep in mind for Elko.

It's economy is based one one thing, and that's mining, and has changed quite a lot over the 30 years I have lived in the area.

Pm if you want more information.

I'm open to chat.

I have have lived in or near Reno for 41 years. I don’t go far to find deer, antelope, chukar and quail. Ski if you want, fishing is great, snowmobiling, hiking, camping it’s all great. Minimal snow and lots of sunshine. You’d be hard pressed finding a better place. Housing is the crutch right now

I have have lived in or near Reno for 41 years. I don’t go far to find deer, antelope, chukar and quail. Ski if you want, fishing is great, snowmobiling, hiking, camping it’s all great. Minimal snow and lots of sunshine. You’d be hard pressed finding a better place. Housing is the crutch right now
That’s great. Thank you for chiming in!

Unfortunately Reno has become overrun with liberals from California. So if you like that type of ideology, I guess enjoy. Reno is also becoming a big homeless hub, won't be long before there sh!tting on the sidewalk like the bay area. IMO all the liberals need to move back to California.

Elko is one cold Motha in the winter. I saw a picture last year of a woman who farted and the gas froze on her backside forming a round white circle she didn't know it was there. LOL
I hunted there for a couple of years ago on the late hunt in the Rubies and that is one of the coldest places I have been in. And I have hunted Canada and all over the west.

Elko is one cold Motha in the winter. I saw a picture last year of a woman who farted and the gas froze on her backside forming a round white circle she didn't know it was there. LOL
I hunted there for a couple of years ago on the late hunt in the Rubies and that is one of the coldest places I have been in. And I have hunted Canada and all over the west.
Actually, our winters have been pretty mild for the past few. I think we dropped below zero 3 times this year. I remember a few years back where we had a spell of like 20 days straight where the high was 10* and the lows were around -20.

I guess what's cold is relative, though. I am used to it from growing up in Wyoming and living in this climate my entire life.

The Elko area is great to live in, as many others have mentioned. 230 miles to Salt Lake City, 285 miles to Reno, 165 miles to Twin Falls. Plentiful outdoor opportunities.

lol....no...my buddy lives there and always reminds me of that fact.....
I appreciate that tidbit though....that is a great "party" question. I am always looking for little nuggets to impress the not-haves...

Ely......farthest town in the US from a Walmart...
Us Nevadans are proud of Ely.
I know people that live there and I spend time in that area.
It takes a certain kind of person to live there though.
People that don’t need a Walmart for instance.
If you like great deer and elk hunting, good fishing and not a lot of crowds Ely is a great place.
You will have to put up with the cold though.
It actually gets colder in Ely than Elko.
And as Homer pointed out its a long way to the nearest Walmart.

Yes, and Ridley's is proud of their stuff. My goodness, it IS expensive to shop in Ely.

I'll be calling you about fishing. Life has been busy.

:)

I live between Reno and Carson City; at least until the temps get above mid 90s. Lotsa places on BLM land to shoot.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom