Llamas vs goats. Which is better??

hubba_3

I've been doing a lot of research on pack llamas and goats and both seem to have many advantages and some disadvantages.

What does everyone prefer to use? Why are llamas better? Or why are goats better? I do a ton of hiking on my hunts (up to 13+ miles on way, so they will need to be able to handle that kind of work)I've gone down the horses road, and they're always a bigger pain in the butt than they are worth the trouble.

Any experienced people that can share their opinion would greatly help! I'm looking to get some in the next month, so this will help me make my final decision!

I used Llamas for several years primarily to Coues deer hunt. I was able to dry camp my llamas for two days with no issues. Tied them to an Oak tree and they were in heaven. I had a friend who tried pack goats, he bought them young and took them on numerous hikes prior to hunting. When the hunt finally came he packed in with no issues until he tied them in camp. They balled and cried until he finally went back and turned them loose. Needless to say he had hunting partners the whole time. hahaha. Not sure if he ever got them over that. Llamas don't seem to get that emotionally tied. That being said I still have two llamas in my pasture but I don't pack with them any more. They did me well and are great guard animals so they will live their life out right here. I do have a packsaddle and panniers for sale if you are interested.

Rharris

>Keep both out of any area
>that has a wild sheep
>population. Please.

+1
Correct! They have no place on a wild sheep mountain!

Zeke

>>Keep both out of any area
>>that has a wild sheep
>>population. Please.
>
>+1
>Correct! They have no place on
>a wild sheep mountain!
>
>Zeke

Why is that exactly?

Probably obvious that I have packed with llamas for many years. All animals require some level of care. Llamas need very little, but still can't be ignored. Much easier to deal with than horses, and still carry a respectable load (80#). Goats carry maybe half that amount, which can be limiting, and goats also need a shelter to stay out of the rain. Llamas excel in the high country, and if there is food and water to support deer or elk they will do fine.
A 13 mile hike in with a pack llama is asking a lot, however, and they will need conditioning. Llamas generally need to rest at least every 3 hours of hard packing. You might get 6-7 mile covered during that time, but you can't just walk non-stop with a llama. They simply won't do it.(There are exceptions to every rule).
All animals have limitations - understand what you can or can't do with a llama and you will be happy. Try to force them, and you will have nothing but aggravation.
Bill

LLamapacker is pretty much on target with his assessment. I have no experience with goats except I know they are cute and friendly... there is no bad animal that is carrying my crap as I carry nothing but a rope and a smile.
I have had llamas for about 20 yrs and rented them for about the same time, and have watched many novices have great times and a couple terrible times. The terrible times had ZERO to do with the llamas, some people should buy an ATV, nuff said about them!

Most llamas will do their best work if you keep loads lighter and mileage lower, people on the other hand want to pack them heavier and drag them farther... Why rent 3 @ 80# when you can just put 120# on two??? why would I CARRY a day pack when I can just strap it on a top pack and then I can go an extra 3 miles since MY legs are fine?? You get the idea... people care about ME.

I have never drug mine farther than about 13-14 miles in rough country in one day ( on trail), mostly cause I'm a big enough puss that I can't go much more than that and call it fun. I have gone on huge adventures with 6-8 miles per day, covering the ground mid day and hunting morning and evening. 3 days of that and you are a LONG ways from the truck!

Maintaining llamas at home and on the trail is VERY easy, legal restrictions are minimal, trailering and transport is easy, and kill site fits are not going to happen in my experience, (but hold onto the rope just in case!)

Cost of llamas is...free (oh you wanted TRAINED ones???) Tack is EXPENSIVE... take care of it!

I work my llamas HARD. I condition my llamas HARD. I hike at a fast pace, 3.5-4 mph But you have to know your string and you simply must live within their limitations, you are one unit and only as strong as your weakest link. (keep your weakest link to the front of the pack!)

Kind of sad as I picked some pics to put on here, too many of the dogs and llamas have gone on to happier trails, enough shared backcountry camps and they become more than just pack animals, they are close friends.

>LLamapacker is pretty much on target
>with his assessment. I
>have no experience with goats
>except I know they are
>cute and friendly... there
>is no bad animal that
>is carrying my crap as
>I carry nothing but a.....

Thank you for the reply squirrel and the pictures. You may have just convinced me to get llamas. Are you selling any of your llamas by chance, or know who I can talk to about getting some llamas.
I've contacted A LOT of packers around the western US and have found some good llamas, but I'm always looking for other options...

>Probably obvious that I have packed
>with llamas for many years.
>All animals require some level
>of care. Llamas need very
>little, but still can't be
>ignored. Much easier to deal
>with than horses, and still
>carry a respectable load (80#).
>Goats carry maybe half that
>amount, which can be limiting,
>and goats also need a
>shelter to stay out of
>the rain. Llamas excel in
>the high country, and if
>there is food and water
>to support deer or elk
>they will do fine.
>A 13 mile hike in with
>a pack llama is asking
>a lot, however, and they
>will need conditioning. Llamas generally
>need to rest at least
>every 3 hours of hard
>packing. You might get 6-7
>mile covered during that time,
>but you can't just walk
>non-stop with a llama. They
>simply won't do it.(There are
>exceptions to every rule).
>All animals have limitations - understand
>what you can or can't
>do with a llama and
>you will be happy. Try
>to force them, and you
>will have nothing but aggravation.
>
>Bill

For a long hike I would probably do half with a goat But when asked the goats can pack much more. I packed out 6 elk on my goats and they each packed 80 to 90 pounds each. Goats don't need shelter, they will go find their own. When I camped with them I left them untied and let them take care of them selves. I say that goats are not going to walk non stop either. They also need rests. But the nice thing about goats is I never had to make a pack string where the goats are tied together. I turned them loose and they just followed.

WEST_CR.jpg

THE_BOY2-1.jpg

IRON_BOG-1.jpg

ELK_AND_-1.jpg

THE_BOY3-1.jpg

If any of you fellas is interested in a pack and panniers I am selling this one. I bought it new but I don't remember what I paid for it, I will consider all reasonable offers.

3660img0815.jpg

>Anyone ever rent any lamas for
>hunting and packing game animals?
>

I rent mine out easyelk, or were you wanting renter feedback on how renting was from the buyers perspective?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom