Loading Issue

trophyhunter

Very Active Member
I have been loading for 50 years. I have an issue and looking for input. I purchased RCBS dies in .308. I adjusted the sizing die then went to the loading die, I have been trying to adjust the bullet depth. I tried three Winchester cases and here?s my problem. I ran a sized empty case perfectly into the die. As I insert a bullet into the case and push it up into the die. The bullet starts to go into the case and after about 1/4 inch into the case the entire nick of the case collapsed. These are new out of the bag never shot Winchester cases. Do you think I have defective cases are they to soft ? I haven't tried some once shot other cases yet. Been busy and haven't tried other cases yet. Anyone else had this issue?

))))???->

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-19 AT 12:57PM (MST)[p]Sounds like you need to readjust your seating die. Seems like it's set to low and trying to maybe crimp. Did you run a sized piece of brass all the way up and adjust the seating die down to just touch the case then back the die up at least 1 complete turn? I also start with the seating stem backed out a ways.
Also how did you setup your sizing die?

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-19
>AT 12:57?PM (MST)

>
>Sounds like you need to readjust
>your seating die. Seems like
>it's set to low and
>trying to maybe crimp. Did
>you run a sized piece
>of brass all the way
>up and adjust the seating
>die down to just touch
>the case then back the
>die up at least 1
>complete turn? I also start
>with the seating stem backed
>out a ways.
>Also how did you setup your
>sizing die?

...what he said.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Also your neck might not be getting sized properly. If the neck is too tight it will cause the same problem you are describing. Are you lubing your brass properly before sizing them? Chamfering the cases?

Never had this problem but I always trim new brass to the same length after resizing. Also, I believe the included instructions recommend backing off the seating die a fraction of a turn or a full turn (can't recall), unless you are crimping on a cannelured bullet. New brass is not all necessarily the came consistent length.

I set up the sizing die, lubed the brass, adjusted the seating die with screw way out. I ran a case empty all the way in perfect no issue. When I go to install the bullet it goes in about 1/4 inch then the entire neck of the case collapses like the neck of the case is to tight. More thoughts? Thanks Guys

))))???->

I will start over and readjust the sizing die. Loading .270 right now then when finished I will go back and adjust the .308 dies. Thanks guys

Thanks Guys I did not back off one full turn on the die plus on this AR die they say take it appart and clean grease out of port hole with a paper clip . New stuff geeese......thanks to all....

))))???->

Glad you got it worked out. Most dies have that port hole that can become plugged and needs to be cleaned periodically.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom