Loads for 375 ultra-mag

mod700

Loads for 375 ultra-mag

Did some horse trade'n a few years back after the rmef dinner, got a rem. 700 375 ultra-mag..still have not fired it.Got the dies and was wondering if anybody has worked up loads for this "bear gun".
Thanks!!
Mike

RE: Loads for 375 ultra-mag

mod700,

My first thought; why would a guy WANT to work up a load for a cannon like that?

Don't get me wrong, for some critters out there in Alaska, Africa, Auzzi land..., at certain times you may even wish you had a much bigger gun!lol I do understand that part but to reload for it? Unless you shoot over 2-3 boxes a year with the thing, hurts my shoulder and rings my ears just at the thought, seems you would do well to just bite the bullet and go factory. No?

Joey

>mod700,
>
> My first thought; why would
>a guy WANT to work
>up a load for a
>cannon like that?
>
> Don't get me wrong, for
>some critters out there in
>Alaska, Africa, Auzzi land..., at
>certain times you may even
>wish you had a much
>bigger gun!lol I do
>understand that part but to
>reload for it? Unless you
>shoot over 2-3 boxes a
>year with the thing, hurts
>my shoulder and rings my
>ears just at the thought,
>seems you would do well
>to just bite the bullet
>and go factory. No?
>
>Joey
Hey joey, yeah, this thing is big..a big bear& moose hunt is what i want to sometime,after pricing shells at 90.a box figured might as well reload an have some fun,,blured vision, headache, bruising/swelling..you know FUN..the book says it will push 260's at over 3000...time will tell.
Mike

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-08 AT 09:34PM (MST)[p]"after pricing shells at 90.a box"

Ho nellie, that is a bunch for a box of shells. I feel that i could probably hunt with a gun that powerful but can only imagine the times with it on the bench. You da man! Good luck with your project. Be sure a let us know how your loads and those hunts go. That's the stuff of dreams!

Joey

I enjoy my .375 Ultra Mag, and I haven't had to go to Africa to do it. I use mine to shoot elk, and long range targets... 1,000 + yards. I had a Vais muzzle break installed on mine.

My pet load is a Rem 9 1/2M primer, 96.0 grains of IMR-4350 powder, and a 260 grain Nosler Accubond bullet. My muzzle velocity is 3,100 fps. No trouble maintaining a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards. I've also had good luck shooting 300 grain Sierra GameKing bullets but I can't remember the powder charge.

I've run into two problems: 1)If using RCBS dies do NOT let the die touch the shoulder of the case. It will crush the shoulder to the point it will not chamber. Only neck size your brass. 2) Get a good scope mounting system. This big gun will move your scope in a standard set of rings.

Regarding a "good scope mounting system." I ended up installing a Badger picatinny scope base and using Leupold Mark 4 Aluminum Rings. The scope hasn't moved since going to this system.

>I enjoy my .375 Ultra Mag,
>and I haven't had to
>go to Africa to do
>it. I use mine
>to shoot elk, and long
>range targets... 1,000 + yards.
> I had a Vais
>muzzle break installed on mine.
>
>
>My pet load is a Rem
>9 1/2M primer, 96.0 grains
>of IMR-4350 powder, and a
>260 grain Nosler Accubond bullet.
> My muzzle velocity is
>3,100 fps. No trouble
>maintaining a 1/2 inch group
>at 100 yards. I've
>also had good luck shooting
>300 grain Sierra GameKing bullets
>but I can't remember the
>powder charge.
>
>I've run into two problems: 1)If
>using RCBS dies do NOT
>let the die touch the
>shoulder of the case.
>It will crush the shoulder
>to the point it will
>not chamber. Only neck
>size your brass. 2) Get
>a good scope mounting system.
> This big gun will
>move your scope in a
>standard set of rings.
Thanks for the pointers, these things shoot pretty flat, i was thinking along the same lines with the 260's for elk.
Mike

I have a 375 Rem Ultra mag.....in Rem 700 and tried a tons of different loads before I found one that I was really happy with. I ended up with a 270 Barnes X bullet powered with RL 15. I dont remember the exact load but it was very accurate.

My 2 cents..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom