Lodging in or near deer unit 141

jgriffin82

Looking to apply for 141. I don't want to deal with crowd's so I narrowed my choices to 34 and 141 for the amount of preference points I have. 34 lost out. I feel I have a better chance at a nice buck in 141. With that being said, I am looking to camp or stay in a cabin in the unit. Any MM'ers familiar with good camp spots or lodging? Also, if weather hits during the season, are the roads maintained? I carry chains and am very experienced in self recovery. I'm more curious of how difficult highway travel could be if I were to stay any distance away from the unit. Thanks.

Jim

Looking to apply for 141. I don't want to deal with crowd's so I narrowed my choices to 34 and 141 for the amount of preference points I have. 34 lost out. I feel I have a better chance at a nice buck in 141. With that being said, I am looking to camp or stay in a cabin in the unit. Any MM'ers familiar with good camp spots or lodging? Also, if weather hits during the season, are the roads maintained? I carry chains and am very experienced in self recovery. I'm more curious of how difficult highway travel could be if I were to stay any distance away from the unit. Thanks.

Jim
I don't think you'll have a problem getting to the unit from the highway but it doesn't matter what you're driving if weather hits the snow piles up quick in the higher elevation in that country a good storm and you'll be limited to the lower country anyway. If you were going to camp you could camp in the unit there are several good places to camp. If you're staying in a hotel pinedale is close to the unit and will have everything you need and not a far drive each morning to get to where you can hunt.

There are several cabin rentals in the area. Kendall Valley Lodge is a nice place. There's another cabin rental business just to the south while you're still on the paved road. Can't remember the name of the place.

Thanks guys. Found the Kendall valley lodge and green river guest ranch last night wandering around on the net. Sounds like they are going to be the best and only options nearby. Being a NR, I'm hoping there will be a bit of weather to push some deer out of the wilderness areas. What are the chances of wolf and grizzly encounters in the area? I'll likely grab a wolf tag just because but, should I carry bear spray or my Glock 20? I'm a large, hairy man so, I'm really worried about a big boar looking for romance more than anything else!

Jim

Thanks guys. Found the Kendall valley lodge and green river guest ranch last night wandering around on the net. Sounds like they are going to be the best and only options nearby. Being a NR, I'm hoping there will be a bit of weather to push some deer out of the wilderness areas. What are the chances of wolf and grizzly encounters in the area? I'll likely grab a wolf tag just because but, should I carry bear spray or my Glock 20? I'm a large, hairy man so, I'm really worried about a big boar looking for romance more than anything else!

Jim
You should be prepared to encounter a bear yes

Is the place still open? Good place to have a drink haha
Im not sure but i was just over in that country last week stopped at stockmans in pinedale its got a new owner and It was hoppin' on Saturday night ? no bear sighting 2 legged or 4

Grizzlies are plentiful in that area. Union pass has a very high density, and kendall Valley usually has them walking through the houses during summer in the valley bottom. Could run into one anywhere in that country

Once you leave the paved State Hwy roads onto USFS lands there is not one road maintained after snowfall. There are dozens of two-track roads off the main dirt road thoroughfares that get you into different country in the upper green river valley that are open to all vehicles. If the weather is bad or has been soaked thoroughly, you'll want chains to access some of the areas. SxS's or a small truck make traversing the country much faster and easier. Grizz and wolves present. G&F traps multiple grizz every summer out of the area when the cattle hit the forest up through mid October.

Appreciate the insight and guidance fellas. I booked two cabins at Kendall valley lodge for my group. It'll be 5 of us applying. Our point average should be more than enough to draw in the special draw. We'll have a couple sxs to get up and down the main road. I haven't looked into wolf tags yet. Are they OTC?

Jim

Appreciate the insight and guidance fellas. I booked two cabins at Kendall valley lodge for my group. It'll be 5 of us applying. Our point average should be more than enough to draw in the special draw. We'll have a couple sxs to get up and down the main road. I haven't looked into wolf tags yet. Are they OTC?

Jim
Yes

Thanks SS. I got around to reading the brochure. Looks like wolf area 11 with a harvest quota of 10. Five were killed in the area last year. I won't be actively hunting them but, I've ran across stranger things while hunting deer.

Jim

Five in the group? That's the whole quota for nr pp special. If anyone else is considering applying, take that into consideration.

Thanks cowkiller. I looked into that prior to applying. According to last year's demand report, the quota was 10, 5 were issued. There were 5 first choice applicants with 10 or more points. We're in the 12 range. Hopefully it works out. If not, we have backups. We're not interested in a region G tag and we are tired of accumulating points. That game used to be fun. Were of the mindset now that hunting the same lower point or OTC units every year is much better. We've been hunting the same Colorado units for about 20 years together. With a sprinkling of a few other states in between.

Jim

Thanks cowkiller. I looked into that prior to applying. According to last year's demand report, the quota was 10, 5 were issued. There were 5 first choice applicants with 10 or more points. We're in the 12 range. Hopefully it works out. If not, we have backups. We're not interested in a region G tag and we are tired of accumulating points. That game used to be fun. Were of the mindset now that hunting the same lower point or OTC units every year is much better. We've been hunting the same Colorado units for about 20 years together. With a sprinkling of a few other states in between.

Jim
No last year there were 5 allocated for the special draw in 141 not 10.

1652381488512.png

I must be reading this wrong. SS, can you help me understand the quota column?

Right where it says 5 in the quota. . You don't add up those numbers. The quota is 5, then as they go down in pp applicants it says 4,3,2 etc... meaning how many were left of the total 5, when it got to that level

Thanks SS. I haven't applied for WY since 2007 therefore, my familiarity with the system was lacking. Being too lazy to look up the draw regulations didn't help either. I appreciate you setting me straight. I may have to kick out our low point guy. He has 7, the rest of us have 12+.

Jim

Good luck to everyone in the draws. I pulled a NM archery elk tag and I have my name in for UT, NV and CA. I always have CO landowner and OTC tags for the backups.

Jim

OSBeavs, I was wondering about that. I saw that there were a couple tags over the set quota issued last year. I'm hoping we don't have an issue getting drawn. We talked my buddy with 7 points to drop his deer app from the group. He's gonna apply for the type 1 antelope tag instead.

Jim

Unfortunately, we did not draw. I haven't looked at the draw stats but, I can only assume that a couple guys with 13+ points. Our average was 12.5 for the four of us.
Jim

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom