Long Range shooting questions

BrianID

Very Active Member
I know this topic is like beating a dead horse but I still wanted to ask.

Are any of you good enough to take a shot at a deer at a 1000 yards?

What is everyones max range for shooting at a deer?

How much has your max shooting range increased over the years due to improved technology?

I know there are a few hunters out there that are good enough to constantly kill a deer with the first shot at 1000 yards but I think these hunters are very rare. Even in places that people think long range shooting is problem (region G in Wyoming), I would guess that maybe 1 in 1000 hunters are good enough to consistantly make a 1000 yard shot.

I'm mostly trying to "stir the pot" but would love to hear from someone who is really good enough to make a 1000 yard first shot kill.

I shoot a lot but I'm not good enough to take a 1000 yard shot at a deer or elk. I think I'm good enough to hit a deer with my first shot more than 50% of the time at 1000 yards but know I'm not good enough to take that long of a shot. I'll save those long shots for paper and steel.

My max range for deer under ideal conditions is 600 yards. However, I passed on 500 yard shot at a 32" buck about 3 years ago because I could get closer. I killed him in his bed with a shot of about 125 yards a few hours later. Last year I passed on a 250 yard shot on a bull elk with my 338 Lapua because I was able to stalk closer and killed him at 160 yards. Two years ago I did kill a buck at 575 yards because there wasn't a good way to get closer to him without having a high risk of blowing him out of the country. I've also killed a couple pronghorn and a mule deer at 450 yards but still like to get as close as a can before I take the shot.

15 years ago my max range was around 300 yards but after getting a rangefinder my range increased to about 450 yards. In the mid 1990's I remember passing on a shot that was around 250 -300 yards because it was just too far to attempt shooting.

I definitely wouldn't call myself good enough to make a 1000 yard shot, but my range has increased lately. I used to think I would never go over 300 yards, but now I'd probably say 500 is my max under ideal conditions. I shot my buck last year at 415 after spotting him at over 900 yds. Same with my javelin last year...spotted at about 500 yds and moved in to get a nice 270 yd shot. But I have a buddy who I would feel 100% confident in taking a 1000+ yard shot, but he practices all the time at that range. He has killed a deer at about 950 yards...one shot. So, if you can do it, more power to you!

My guess is that several could do it with one shot at a 1000 yards, because that is the distance of their practice target. The question is how many could do it in one shot at 967 yards?

Here is what happens.
Your spotter says:
1st shot - "4 feet too high"
2nd shot - "1 foot too high"
3rd shot - "just under him"
4th shot - "You Got Him!!!.......He's moving, watch where he goes!"

>My guess is that several could
>do it with one shot
>at a 1000 yards, because
>that is the distance of
>their practice target. The
>question is how many could
>do it in one shot
>at 967 yards?
>
>Here is what happens.
>Your spotter says:
>1st shot - "4 feet too
>high"
>2nd shot - "1 foot too
>high"
>3rd shot - "just under him"
>
>4th shot - "You Got Him!!!.......He's
>moving, watch where he goes!"
>

You're Wrong heartshot!:D

4th Shot should Read:

You Gut Shot Him!!!.........He's Limping off to Die Somewhere!

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-18
>AT 05:17?PM (MST)

>
>After you close your eyes, jerk
>the trigger and you've gut
>shoot your quarry at 1000
>yards you scream for joy
>like a 13 year old
>girl who just met Justin
>Beiber.
>
>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lcQhCNvjms

Always a greeeaaaaatttt idea to strap antlers on your back while your wearing a tan shirt.

Douuuucccchhhheeee nozzle.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

I passed on a really great Buck at 750 this year. Not because he was too far, but because the conditions weren't right for that type of shot. Unpredictable, gusting winds, 30 minutes before dark, and no spotter. Remove one of those 3 and I probably would have taken the shot. I ended up killing a different Buck, not as big but pretty cool nonetheless. The other one will have to wait till next year!

2a0fcsk.gif

With my long range rifle and Night force scope I can hit inside a 10" circle every time at 900 yards, most of the time at 1000 as long as the wind isn't blowing. I consider 800 yards to be as far as I would shoot at an animal, if everything was perfect.

With my lightweight custom and a Leupold CDS I'm very confident to 600 yards if everything is perfect.

My problem is I find things are never perfect when I get the chances to shoot at my maximum distances. and if I never do test my maximum I'll be more than happy.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

The ballistics on a factory ammo box go to 500 yds. Would like to think their numbers are quite solid after this many years.
Less gear to carry : no range finder, windage, Big spotter, etc.

I am comfortable at 400, and kill most at 50-150 yds.

Sad part about it is that 80% of you hunters would say NEVER!

If the buck was big enough 80% of you hunters WOULD!

>The ballistics on a factory ammo
>box go to 500 yds.
>Would like to think their
>numbers are quite solid after
>this many years.
>Less gear to carry : no
>range finder, windage, Big spotter,
>etc.
>
>I am comfortable at 400, and
>kill most at 50-150 yds.
>

The ballistics data on factory ammo are IMO junk. You need to chronograph them in your rifle and chamber. I've seen as much as 200 FPS difference.
At distances under 200 yards it won't matter though.
I practice to 1000 and would take a shot at 800 but like stated conditions need to be perfect and in most hunting situations that doesn't happen.

I wont shoot beyond 400 yards if the wind is blowing more than 10 mph.

I just dont understand the wind well enough. I have not taken the time to learn how to adjust for wind and I dont own a wind meter.

However. If the air is calm. I will shoot out to 500 yards. From now till August I will be working on getting out to 700 yards. I dont see going past 700 with my rifle. I would need to buy something from Gunwerks or another company to get to 1000.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

What cannonball said is true I'm not going to lie. and I would say it's more like 95% would.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I have shot at two animals around 1,000 yards. Both were one shot drop in their tracks. I don't set out trying to kill an animal at extreme ranges. But I know if I have my target animal in sight, and need to make the shot, I'm gonna #sendit if the conditions are right.

This got me thinking about all the animals I've killed at long range and how many shots.

Deer- 675 yards one shot drop
Deer -850 yards one shot drop
Deer -550 yards two shots
Elk -1050 yards one shot drop
Elk -960 yards one shot drop
Elk -500 yards one shot
Bear-700 Yards two shots
Elk -800 Yards 3 shots

This list doesn't include the many animals at short range.

I have Never lost an animal I've shot at long range.

I know some say that's not hunting,it's just shooting. Good thing I hunt for me and don't care what the arm chair MM biologists think. :)

>Sad part about it is that
>80% of you hunters would
>say NEVER!
>
>If the buck was big enough
>80% of you hunters WOULD!
>

And that goes for the blow the dust off your TASCO the day before the hunt crowd as well.

>>Sad part about it is that
>>80% of you hunters would
>>say NEVER!
>>
>>If the buck was big enough
>>80% of you hunters WOULD!
>>
>
>And that goes for the blow
>the dust off your TASCO
>the day before the hunt
>crowd as well.

Not my thing. But legit question.

Does hitting at long range give you the same thrill as getting in that critters "wheelhouse"?

No judgement. I just seem to hear a lot of LR guys say "I don't intend on shooting that far but....."

Would you have not gotten your list IF you didn't have the LR? OR is having the capability sometimes a crutch?

I love sneaking in on does or cows just to see their eyes when they finally see me. Does the fun of LR replace that?.

No judgement, just curious.

> Hey puffy!
>
>Make sure & Figure for Windage!
>
>
>And Twiggage!
>
>Oh and Make sure You've got
>Your FLATTY On!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Two of the best comments yet are above^^^

?And Twiggage?

?Oh and Make sure You?ve got Your FLATTY ON!?
Lmao...

Onedryboot....right on bud! Great post!

Hoss....I hunt for trophies only. In that process...during the 5 weeks I spend hunting...I get plenty close to lots of does....cows...etc. What this changes is that one moment......the rest of the hunt is exactly the same as it was when my Tasco was hitting 1" high at 100 yards 20 years ago.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

>>
>>
>>I have Never lost an animal
>>I've shot at long range.
>>
>
> No one ever does.

Puff,

Clearly you have a reading comprehension problem. I am only talking about myself.

>>Sad part about it is that
>>80% of you hunters would
>>say NEVER!
>>
>>If the buck was big enough
>>80% of you hunters WOULD!
>>
>
>And that goes for the blow
>the dust off your TASCO
>the day before the hunt
>crowd as well.

Fricken badass. mtmuley

I'm not going to get into the ethics of it but there is no question 1000 yard hunting is not really hunting. it's precision marksmanship with amazing equipment, there is no interaction with the prey you might as well be 1000 miles away. it requires a definite skill set to be consistent but not as much as what a competent bow hunter requires. maybe less, my first shot at 1000 yards hit the gong. I bet I couldn't hit my pickup at 40 yards with a bow.

Still after spending most of my life thinking 400 yards was really getting out there to be able to range a 10 inch rock 800 yards away and drill it does intrigue me no end.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

>Onedryboot....right on bud! Great post!
>
>
>Hoss....I hunt for trophies only.
>In that process...during the 5
>weeks I spend hunting...I get
>plenty close to lots of
>does....cows...etc. What this changes
>is that one moment......the rest
>of the hunt is exactly
>the same as it was
>when my Tasco was hitting
>1" high at 100 yards
>20 years ago.
>
>"The penalty good men pay for
>indifference to public affairs is
>to be ruled by evil
>men." - Plato

So you wouldn't be able to hunt "trophies" otherwise?

I personally don't have the equipment I shoot a 300 WBY Sako TRG with Leapold Variable X2) and have not put in the time practicing for extreme long range. Have been toying with the idea I think it could be fun if you do it right (equipment, knowledge, practice) all the essential needs to be accurate.I have followed all the info on this site about different calibers, gun makes, optics, and any knowledge that is offered maybe some day I will.
I personally would take a shot out in the 400+ range have did that before on two different deer one deer one shot drop in tracks and the other deer ran and died 40 yards from my four Wheeler it maide the pack out sweet.

>You Gut Shot Him!!!.........He's Limping off
>to Die Somewhere!
>
>Yep, that's what I meant.

Are you sure you did not shoot one of the horn off him

LOL

>>Onedryboot....right on bud! Great post!
>>
>>
>>Hoss....I hunt for trophies only.
>>In that process...during the 5
>>weeks I spend hunting...I get
>>plenty close to lots of
>>does....cows...etc. What this changes
>>is that one moment......the rest
>>of the hunt is exactly
>>the same as it was
>>when my Tasco was hitting
>>1" high at 100 yards
>>20 years ago.
>>
>>"The penalty good men pay for
>>indifference to public affairs is
>>to be ruled by evil
>>men." - Plato
>
>So you wouldn't be able to
>hunt "trophies" otherwise?
>

Thats not at all what I meant....sheesh...did I say or imply that. No

What it means is that I hunt an area for a week. Looking for a great buck usually takes a good chunk of that. Along the way, during the week, I bump into all sorts of animals and situations. Because I hunt trophies, instead of dropping the first doe I see, I hunt for a while to find something I like. Yes I still stalk bucks even though I have a gun that will go further. If I am convinced I cant get closer I use the gun to get it done. My personal policy is get as close as you can. So, usually that is 200 yards unless I want to risk pushing the animal.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-18 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]
One of these Days Founder is gonna Line Y'all up for that 700 Yard Shot & Take your Money!

I'll Exclude booty & Tony257 out of this!

I'm only good out to about 350 yards. If I want to shoot any further I'm going to have to get a more powerful bow :)

Hahaha!! 350 with your bow.. Seems like it is going that way with bows too. I remember when I used to read 60 yards was a long shot. Now I hear guys taking 80 or 100 yards shots with their bows. My longest shot with a rifle was 475 yards and I would say after that experience it is my limit.

For me, I'm comfortable at under 500 yards. I'd like to have the equipment to extend that to 700 yards, but with a shot that far, everything has to be perfect. I have friends that kill deer out to 1000 yards, but I'm not that good!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-18 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]Go to a 1000 yard range and watch a competition. The first thing you'll notice is windflags. Dozens and dozens of windflags, scattered all the way from 50 yards to 1000. Now, the reason competitors use all those windflags is to keep an eye on what the wind is doing- ALL THE WAY TO THE TARGET. A little puff of wind at 300 yards that is not corrected for blows an X out to the 7-ring. On an animal that's blowing a double lung shot into a gut shot- even though your scope, your rifle, your ammo, your rangefinder, and your skills are right on.

The second thing you'll notice is the lack of sporter-weight rifles on the firing line. In silhouette, Jim-Bob Redneck can show up with his Savage .270 and a Tasco scope and do alright, if he has the skill. He won't win, but he will hit some targets. The guys who shoot 1000 are shooting dedicated match rifles. My 1000 yard gun weighs almost fourteen pounds, with no scope. It's got a 30-inch barrel and a fully adjustable stock. I doubt I'll be carrying it up a mountain anytime soon.

I have shot a fair bit of competition at 1000 yards. Because of that, I won't take a shot on game past about 350. I KNOW what it takes to hit at 1000 actual yards. I can do it- provided the wind, the light, the temperature and the barometric pressure cooperate. At 3000 feet, even your Sooper-Dooper Ultra Tactical Magnum has over a full second in flight. Targets don't move much in a second, but animals do. Also, in the mountains, wind doesn't only change within 360 degrees. There is also a significant vertical component. Up. Down. Left. Right. And all without any windflags. Sure, all these mighty long range hunters have never lost an animal at 1000 yards. But how many have they "missed"?

There is a way to put your money where your mouth is. Find an official, sanctioned F-Class competition(NOT one of those "tactical" steel matches)and enter it. The ten ring is ten inches across. If you can cleanly kill a deer at 1000 yards every time, cleaning the course with your hunting rifle should be no problem; it's a known distance with controlled conditions. You're allowed to take your time; up to 30 minutes for 20 shots. There will be plenty of windflags. Put up your Long Range High Master card, and I will publicly apologize for ever doubting you. You can even shoot four nines out of 20 shots and still make HM; all you need is 98%. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-18
>AT 05:12?PM (MST)

>
>Go to a 1000 yard range
>and watch a competition. The
>first thing you'll notice is
>windflags. Dozens and dozens of
>windflags, scattered all the way
>from 50 yards to 1000.
>Now, the reason competitors use
>all those windflags is to
>keep an eye on what
>the wind is doing- ALL
>THE WAY TO THE TARGET.
>A little puff of wind
>at 300 yards that is
>not corrected for blows an
>X out to the 7-ring.
>On an animal that's blowing
>a double lung shot into
>a gut shot- even though
>your scope, your rifle, your
>ammo, your rangefinder, and your
>skills are right on.
>
>The second thing you'll notice is
>the lack of sporter-weight rifles
>on the firing line. In
>silhouette, Jim-Bob Redneck can show
>up with his Savage .270
>and a Tasco scope and
>do alright, if he has
>the skill. He won't win,
>but he will hit some
>targets. The guys who shoot
>1000 are shooting dedicated match
>rifles. My 1000 yard gun
>weighs almost fourteen pounds, with
>no scope. It's got a
>30-inch barrel and a fully
>adjustable stock. I doubt I'll
>be carrying it up a
>mountain anytime soon.
>
>I have shot a fair bit
>of competition at 1000 yards.
>Because of that, I won't
>take a shot on game
>past about 350. I KNOW
>what it takes to hit
>at 1000 actual yards. I
>can do it- provided the
>wind, the light, the temperature
>and the barometric pressure cooperate.
>At 3000 feet, even your
>Sooper-Dooper Ultra Tactical Magnum has
>over a full second in
>flight. Targets don't move much
>in a second, but animals
>do. Also, in the mountains,
>wind doesn't only change within
>360 degrees. There is also
>a significant vertical component. Up.
>Down. Left. Right. And all
>without any windflags. Sure, all
>these mighty long range hunters
>have never lost an animal
>at 1000 yards. But how
>many have they "missed"?
>
>There is a way to put
>your money where your mouth
>is. Find an official, sanctioned
>F-Class competition(NOT one of those
>"tactical" steel matches)and enter it.
>The ten ring is ten
>inches across. If you can
>cleanly kill a deer at
>1000 yards every time, cleaning
>the course with your hunting
>rifle
should be no problem;
>it's a known distance with
>controlled conditions. You're allowed to
>take your time; up to
>30 minutes for 20 shots.
>There will be plenty of
>windflags. Put up your Long
>Range High Master card, and
>I will publicly apologize for
>ever doubting you. You can
>even shoot four nines out
>of 20 shots and still
>make HM; all you need
>is 98%. Shouldn't be a
>problem, right?

You can spot it every time. The guys who CAN do something, are almost always the guys who won't.
Perhaps the best LR hunting post I've ever read.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-18
>AT 05:12?PM (MST)

>
>Go to a 1000 yard range
>and watch a competition. The
>first thing you'll notice is
>windflags. Dozens and dozens of
>windflags, scattered all the way
>from 50 yards to 1000.
>Now, the reason competitors use
>all those windflags is to
>keep an eye on what
>the wind is doing- ALL
>THE WAY TO THE TARGET.
>A little puff of wind
>at 300 yards that is
>not corrected for blows an
>X out to the 7-ring.
>On an animal that's blowing
>a double lung shot into
>a gut shot- even though
>your scope, your rifle, your
>ammo, your rangefinder, and your
>skills are right on.
>
>The second thing you'll notice is
>the lack of sporter-weight rifles
>on the firing line. In
>silhouette, Jim-Bob Redneck can show
>up with his Savage .270
>and a Tasco scope and
>do alright, if he has
>the skill. He won't win,
>but he will hit some
>targets. The guys who shoot
>1000 are shooting dedicated match
>rifles. My 1000 yard gun
>weighs almost fourteen pounds, with
>no scope. It's got a
>30-inch barrel and a fully
>adjustable stock. I doubt I'll
>be carrying it up a
>mountain anytime soon.
>
>I have shot a fair bit
>of competition at 1000 yards.
>Because of that, I won't
>take a shot on game
>past about 350. I KNOW
>what it takes to hit
>at 1000 actual yards. I
>can do it- provided the
>wind, the light, the temperature
>and the barometric pressure cooperate.
>At 3000 feet, even your
>Sooper-Dooper Ultra Tactical Magnum has
>over a full second in
>flight. Targets don't move much
>in a second, but animals
>do. Also, in the mountains,
>wind doesn't only change within
>360 degrees. There is also
>a significant vertical component. Up.
>Down. Left. Right. And all
>without any windflags. Sure, all
>these mighty long range hunters
>have never lost an animal
>at 1000 yards. But how
>many have they "missed"?
>
>There is a way to put
>your money where your mouth
>is. Find an official, sanctioned
>F-Class competition(NOT one of those
>"tactical" steel matches)and enter it.
>The ten ring is ten
>inches across. If you can
>cleanly kill a deer at
>1000 yards every time, cleaning
>the course with your hunting
>rifle
should be no problem;
>it's a known distance with
>controlled conditions. You're allowed to
>take your time; up to
>30 minutes for 20 shots.
>There will be plenty of
>windflags. Put up your Long
>Range High Master card, and
>I will publicly apologize for
>ever doubting you. You can
>even shoot four nines out
>of 20 shots and still
>make HM; all you need
>is 98%. Shouldn't be a
>problem, right?

+2
Absolutely the best post ever written on LR ?hunting?. Thank you sir.

400 yards max. I've passed at longer distances. I've made several 1-shot kills in the 350'ish range.

One year I killed an antelope at 385. Then came home and missed a whitetail at 40. Don't know how, but I did. Rechecked zero. Good at 200, which shoulda been goog.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom