Long Range Shooting

Big_R

I just had a gun built by ACE rifles out of Nevada, If anyone on here is looking for an awesome rifle then talk to Brandt. My first shot at 1000 yards landed right on target. This guy knows how to build a gun! Just figured I would let you guys know if you are looking for long range to talk to him before you look anywhere else, you won't be disappointed. Mine is the 6.5 PRC, has very little recoil and is extremely accurate.

A29905E5-DFF3-4262-8BCC-EA314B0A1886.jpeg

Nice looking rifle... tell us a little more about it, I see it’s based of a Tikka...

Don’t know how to post a video but hit the target on second shot today at 1200 yards after a small wind adjustment, and missed at a mile by a few inches to the left of the target. Will try again soon at a mile because I’m sure it can do it just need a morning cool enough to not have thermals rising.

It’s got a Tikka action, proof research barrel, Leupold Mark 5 HD 5x25 scope, don’t remember what kind of stock or trigger, but it weighs about 9 lbs with the scope making it an awesome hunting rifle because it’s not so heavy like some other long range guns I’ve looked at.

That’s a Mesa Precision Altitude stock. Really light (26oz) and good feel. I put one on my rifle recently to drop weight.

18” target at a mile, had a friend shoot it at a 6” target at 432 yards who never shot over 200 yards before and hit it first shot. I’ve never bragged up a gun until this one, it’s incredible what a good gun can do. I’ve owned a lot of guns and this one is my new favorite, alongside the volquartsen .17hmr for squirrels of course but that’s a whole new post

Hello Big_R,
Congrats on your new toy! I am just curious, , , , what game animals do you intend to hunt with your new shooter, and at what distances?

Elkchaser

I plan on hunting primarily mule deer, and I always try get as close as possible for a shot. I like shooting at 200 or less yards because a lot less can go wrong. But it’ll be nice to reach out to further distance if necessary. I just need some more practice before I’ll shoot anythiing past 450 for now

Hello Big_R
Thank you for candor. We like to use 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water for our long range fun. Get all dialed in from the bench, then go after the jugs from typical field positions like prone, sitting, etc. (Shooting at the jugs from the bench is "cheating"!)
It is a lot of fun. The targets are cheap, and it really demonstrates downrange energy very clearly. It is also challenging (at least for me) to consistently hit my target as I get much past 300 yards.
Back in the 80's, I used to compete at the "Metallica Sillouettas"! When you have to tip over a steel sillouette of a bighorn sheep, at 500 meters (545 yards) it teaches you a lot. Now that was a real eye opener, , , and also very humbling!

I am reading a lot of good things about the various 6.5 rigs these days. It would be interesting to hear how they stack up on the sillouette range.

Thanks for your post & keep us informed how it performs.

Elkchaser

P.S. FYI to the trash police, we always bring trash bags to clean up after ourselves when we finish popping milk jugs!

That's pretty cool. My apologies, but I thought Big_R was going to be one of the "I can kill stuff at LR now" guys. Nice rifle BigR. I see that you get it. mtmuley

Thanks for the advice, I’m gonna do that milk jug idea! That’s a good representation of a kill shot on most big game animals and would definitely help build confidence, or destroy it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom