Longer sight plane effect on accuracy

fallguy

Admittedly, this is a tough question due to it being human related. All things being equal, what kind of accuracy improvement (100 yards) could one expect when using a peep sight on a 27 or 28 inch barrel versus a 22 inch barrel? I realize a longer sight plane doesn't make a rifle more accurate but it should allow the shooter be more accurate than a shorter sight plane. Maybe what I should ask is does anyone on here have experience with shooting a peep sight on both a short barrel and long barrel muzzy and if so, what gains, if any, do you see with the longer barrel?

Last edited:
Admittedly, this is a tough question due to it being human related. All things being equal, what kind of accuracy improvement (100 yards) could one expect when using a peep sight on a 27 or 28 inch barrel versus a 22 inch barrel? I realize a longer sight plane doesn't make a rifle more accurate but it should allow the shooter be more accurate than a shorter sight plane. Maybe what I should ask is does anyone on here have experience with shooting a peep sight on both a short barrel and long barrel muzzy and if so, what gains, if any, do you see with the longer barrel?
What rifle make and model?
What bullets?
What powder?
How much powder?

I think you would get a bit more accuracy out of the longer barrel. Mainly because it will be heavier and the longer site plane would help some also. But the downside is while you’re out hunting it would be a pain in the butt to pack that thing around so I would go for a 24 inch barrel while hunting.

No question the longer the distance between sights the better because being a hair off center in a shorter distance would equate to a larger margin at the target. Think of it this way, if you were hanging a 6' shelf and using a level, would the margin of error be less with a 2' level or a 4' level?

Peep sight on rear is only part of the equation...front should have globe sight as well..maybe crosshair is best...one guy on here has good recipe that I have followed allowing good accuracy out to 200 with great results

This is the set up I run on my Muzzleloader.

Never mind the hunter. I was snow blind and a bit high on the joy of success.

The front sight is a Lyman globe with a crosshair insert. The rear is a Williams adjustable peep. If you zoom in you can see it fairly well.
I shot this buck 168 yards.
I feel confident shooting a deer out to 225 with that sight set up and the right load combination.
A3EAE96D-6762-427B-81D3-C0AF6BBC4B14.jpeg

Anytime you increase your sight radius/length your accuracy will improve. Also placing the peep directly in front of your eye reduces error. You can increase your sight radius by moving the rear sight closer to your eye w/o increasing barrel length.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom