LONGEST LR SHOT???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Well!

This Ought to make somebody mad!

List your Longest Long Range Shot?

Ya!

You're gonna have to Post the Yardage or Approx Yardage!

I'll start it off!

I don't have the Exact Yardage!

Somewhere around 600-700 Yards!

I don't start Ranging Yardage till I'm out past 1,000 Yards!

And this was 20 years before I'd ever heard of a Rangefinder anyway!

Anyways!

A Practice you should never Try/Do!

This was nearly 30 years ago & not a Soul around nowhere!

I'd heard & Read a Slug could travel over a Mile when I was Younger but had always Doubted it!

Found out I was very Wrong!

Anyways!

A Friend decided We'd Blow some balloons up & drop them in to the river feeding the Lake!

When they got out there a long ways we'd see if we could hit them!

DO NOT PRACTICE THIS!

We were Young & Real Dumb!

My Friend Sets the Spotter up!(High Tech Bushnell!:D)

I'm shooting at the Balloons!

And I'm gonna tell you a Slug will travel a Long Damn ways!

Especially Skippin across the Top of the water!

In Fact the Slugs were Skippin clear across the Lake!

After a couple Shots & not hitting the Balloons My Friend yells:

SOB!

A Direct Hit!

Lookin through My Scope I can still see all the Ballooons & I'm thinking WTF?

My Friend says You got Him!

I'm going What?

Stop Shooting He says!

We Hiked clear around the other side of the Lake to retrieve a Rabbit that He seen me Hit through the Spotter after the Slug bounced across the Water who knows how many times?

Very UN-ETHICAL I Know!

What's really gonna make somebody Mad is I made the Shot with my RUGER 100/22!

***NOTE: DO NOT SHOOT 22's or High Powered Rifles across Water!

Who the Hell knows where the Slug might end up!

We were Young & Dumb!

Ya!

I know somebody's gonna Say I Still am!:D

I do believe that to be my Longest Long Range Shot with a 22!:D

High Powered Rifle Stories to Continue!

Post Your Long Range Shots up!

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

ELKASS....you sure passed a lot of GAS in that post,hope you feel better and no gut ache.....LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-14 AT 10:39PM (MST)[p]Well I'd top that...................... if I could!

What you did was stupid.......... I've tried worse, got lucky and missed (I think }> ) but I'm not going to trust statute rules and confess to anything, they change the rules all the time.

DC

1 mile.

This was a two shot group and I was too chicken to try the third shot. I didn't want to mess up my group. ;-)

Grizzly

855020141108_170826.jpg

Don't Worry Lumpy!

T'was Rabbit Season!

Valid Permit in Hand!

Rabbit was Retrieved & Taken Care of!

No Wanton Waste here!

Just Glad my Friend was watchin through the Spotter or I woulda Never Known!

Kinda why I wonder when Guys are Shootin 1500-2500 Yard shots if they ever wonder what they Mighta Hit?

That's good advice, glad no one was around. Pretty funny though. Mine was probably around 700 yds. on a buck. Didn't plan on it but had jumped him and taken a shot closer and missed. By the time he stopped I took another shot and was kind of suprised when he started wobbling and fell over. I didn't think about him being a long ways off until my son came over and said wow, that's probably 700 yds away!

JFP!!!!!

I've known for a long time you take your life into your own hands driving through Utah!

Now I find out it's even worse if you hunt in Utah!:D

Just razzin' you Bbop!

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Bobcat!!!! Slugs are those little slimy things in your garden.
Please call bullets, bullets. I cringe at the term "slug" or even worse"leads".
Bullets are the projectile.
Case is a vessel that holds powder charge.
Primer,case, powder and bullet all put together make a cartridge.
:):):)
Now we got that out the way.
997 yards. Fallow deer, New Zealand.

Very UN-ETHICAL NUNYA!

997 Yards Huh?

You tellin me the HUSKEMAW only had 3 Yards left?:D

GEEZUS!

That's like Shootin at a PISS-ANT!

Did you hit it in the GUTS?

> Bobcat!!!! Slugs are those little
>slimy things in your garden.
>
> Please call bullets, bullets. I
>cringe at the term "slug"
>or even worse"leads".
>Bullets are the projectile.
>Case is a vessel that holds
>powder charge.
>Primer,case, powder and bullet all put
>together make a cartridge.
>:):):)
>Now we got that out the
>way.
> 997 yards. Fallow deer, New
>Zealand.

when I was younger I read a story in out door life about a guy who would get on his roof and look for grass hoppers ants, ect. said it helped him see more game in the wild, well I t sounded good to me, , so I tried it , hell I could see hoppers and such clear to the end of the drive way. well I got to thinking could I hit a hopper clear at end of the drive from the top of the roof of my house with my daisy, sure enough I was dropping hoppers all most every time,.. so the next time some of you sobs, think you are all bad azz shooting deer, elk at 1000 yards , get a 30 year old daisy b,b, gun. climb up on your roof , and lets see what you can do,. (send video of hoppers hunt with b,b, holes, as proof)

>when I was younger I read
>a story in out door
>life about a guy who
>would get on his roof
>and look for grass hoppers
> ants, ect. said it
>helped him see more game
>in the wild, well I
>t sounded good to me,
>, so I tried it
>, hell I could see
>hoppers and such clear to
>the end of the drive
>way. well I got
>to thinking could I hit
>a hopper clear at end
>of the drive from the
>top of the roof of
>my house with my daisy,
>sure enough I was dropping
>hoppers all most
>every time,.. so the
>next time some of you
>sobs, think you are
>all bad azz shooting deer,
>elk at 1000 yards ,
>get a 30 year old
>daisy b,b, gun. climb up
>on your roof , and
>lets see what you
>can do,. (send video of
>hoppers hunt with b,b, holes,
> as proof)

And another piece of the puzzle falls into place! :D

.....I shot at california from Dyer, Nv. 10 times and got 10 direct hits.....top that

8346emporor_obama.jpg

Hey elkun!

What was the Percentage of Hits to Misses on the Days You'd spent a couple Hours over at the 3 Legged Dog Prior to shootin?

>when I was younger I read
>a story in out door
>life about a guy who
>would get on his roof
>and look for grass hoppers
> ants, ect. said it
>helped him see more game
>in the wild, well I
>t sounded good to me,
>, so I tried it
>, hell I could see
>hoppers and such clear to
>the end of the drive
>way. well I got
>to thinking could I hit
>a hopper clear at end
>of the drive from the
>top of the roof of
>my house with my daisy,
>sure enough I was dropping
>hoppers all most
>every time,.. so the
>next time some of you
>sobs, think you are
>all bad azz shooting deer,
>elk at 1000 yards ,
>get a 30 year old
>daisy b,b, gun. climb up
>on your roof , and
>lets see what you
>can do,. (send video of
>hoppers hunt with b,b, holes,
> as proof)

And one more thing elkun?

Did You ever GUT SHOOT/WOUND a Hopper?

a RE: LONGEST LR SHOT???

elkassassin shooting hoppers with a b,b, gun is like shooting deer with a bowling ball no wounded.(their was a part or two missing but no wounded crawling off!!) and the only thing we shot at the 3 legged dog was the clock.( well their was that one time)

RE: a RE: LONGEST LR SHOT???

Furthest animal was 475 yards,
But I have thumped alot of steel
from 1000 to a mile!

my best was 8 out of 10 shots
at a mile. 8 shots were .75 moa!

This being said, even as much as
I shoot and practice, 800 yards
on an animal would be my max distance,
too many variables and a chance of
wounding and not recovering the animal.

When I was a kid, I saw a black bird in the top of a tree about 125 yards away, had my trusty BB gun. I wondered if I could scare it, being so far away. I aimed about 8 feet high, and watched it drop. I went over there and had hit it in the head. That is my BB gun record shot.

must of been one of their cheaper guns if you had to aimed 8 feet high?( ill bet your a bow hunter now!?!)

How about that 3 Legged Dog elkun?

You Pull off with a Flinch after a few Rounds & Blow his Leg off?

ZIGGER says: ".....I shot at california from Dyer, Nv. 10 times and got 10 direct hits.....top that."

I think we have a WINNER.....LOL

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

>Yes but did he use lead
>free bullets?
>No he used his Bow!

Makes sense, he is 3/4 Indian

I shot a rabbit at 30 yds with a .25 auto. Now that's amazing!

At the range just having fun shooting 700 yards, but in my 15 years of hunting I've killed 11 mule deer, 6 elk, 1 bear, and 1 antelope and my furthest shot was about 150 yards. Nothing against those into the LR shooting, but for me personally the excitement and thrill of the hunt is stalking and getting as close as the terrain will allow to my prey without being seen, heard or winded. Just the way I was raised I guess.
While on my cow elk hunt this last weekend I spotted a herd of about 40 at just over 400 yards and got set up for the shot and just didn't feel the adrenaline rush and felt like I was not challenging myself as a hunter so instead I got up and spent the next hour closing the distance and finally shot my cow with my 30-06 at 32 yards.

Oh man didn't know Grizz was a long range shooter. You hunt long range as well, Grizz?

So don't want to start another thread I want to continue this thread instead:

Question:

What is your longest kill shot? Please don't say the animal or vermin as that will upset folks.

Me: 550yds

Go!

Some posts I just choose to stay out of. ???
Elk, we were all young and dumb back in the day. We all did a dumb thing or two. Especially when so much of so many days were with a firearm of some sort in our hands or at least in the truck.

Oh man didn't know Grizz was a long range shooter. You hunt long range as well, Grizz?

So don't want to start another thread I want to continue this thread instead:

Question:

What is your longest kill shot? Please don't say the animal or vermin as that will upset folks.

Me: 550yds

Go!
My brother and I got into long range shooting for a bit but we've been too busy to do it much lately. I switched scopes on that gun now so I couldn't even do it without switching back. It was a good time though.

My longest shot at an animal is 442 yds with the same gun as above. That's pretty long for me, I don't think I've ever shot another animal over 150yds. It was the evening of the last day of the season and I had tried to get the buck for a few days but that was the closest I could get. It all worked out.

I'm a believer in long range practice because it makes the hunting shots seem like gimmes.

I just saw this old thread so thought I would chime in.
If any of you have seen the pic I posted in the thread
(In what state did you take your biggest bull)
It’s a long story but I killed that bull at 912 yards.
Hit him the first time at 678 and he ran off a ways and then I dropped him for good at 912.
I don’t really care if it makes anyone upset but it’s the way you have to hunt them in that area.
After first spotting him it was a long two day ordeal on a very steep mountain on foot.
Shell creek range in Nevada.

One of the hardest hunts I’ve ever done.

I’ll play. Longest shot with my own rifle 675 mule deer buck. Now here’s what will get the mob going

longest shot with a buddy’s rifle, 1200 black bear. Never shot the gun before killing that bear. Let the ethics police come get me :whistle:

I’ll abstain from participating in this old thread for fear for my life and a stern chastising from those who can’t…..

Perfect practice (x100) makes perfect.

I have no doubt that most guys haven’t shot their guns in months! They get out of it exactly what they put into it and miraculously still think they’re good. Think about that for a minute.

Last edited:
After thinking about this thread for the last 7 years, I feel it’s time to come out of the closet and accept who I am.
Topgun will roll over in his grave when I say this, 1025, 850, 790, 625 are my longest shots on animals. All one shot kills and three dropped in their tracks. One ran 50 yards. Pretty much what I’m getting at is I’m a long range bad ass. ?

l know I’m not a Hunter, I’m just a shooter. I know I don’t have the skills to get closer as all the haters will say. I know. So save your breath.
I feel better this weight I’ve been carrying is finally off my chest.

I’ve only killed two game animals over 200 yards an antelope at 304 an elk at 648. Most everything else has been true black powder or archery. I shoot often and pretty dang good but prefer the early seasons in Nevada the bucks taste better in august and September. Only had 4 rifle tags and filled them all.

If you don’t take those long range shots you will never get better. I keep all my shots on game 1500 or closer. I load my 6.5 super hot with light bullets so they will get there faster.
Anything antlerless I’ll try shooting at farther distances.
Below ⬇️
1600+-? “ rangefinder quit on me.”personal best on antlered
D51422BA-8716-4AC2-9360-7DAADCEEE8B5.jpeg

Last edited:
My longest shoot. Doing in a hard wind is no problem, if you know what your doing. 6.5’s rok.

13D8D293-9043-44E4-8C55-A9DF778DC6D1.jpeg

What up with all the resurrections of old threads. Never seen so many as I have lately. Nothing currently interesting or are all of you all tried of all the 90/10 posts...lol.

Either old posts, WY 90/10, or the virus/vaccine debates???
Seems to be the hot topics.

After thinking about this thread for the last 7 years, I feel it’s time to come out of the closet and accept who I am.
Topgun will roll over in his grave when I say this, 1025, 850, 790, 625 are my longest shots on animals. All one shot kills and three dropped in their tracks. One ran 50 yards. Pretty much what I’m getting at is I’m a long range bad ass. ?

l know I’m not a Hunter, I’m just a shooter. I know I don’t have the skills to get closer as all the haters will say. I know. So save your breath.
I feel better this weight I’ve been carrying is finally off my chest.
I’m telling topgun

I’ll play. Longest shot with my own rifle 675 mule deer buck. Now here’s what will get the mob going

longest shot with a buddy’s rifle, 1200 black bear. Never shot the gun before killing that bear. Let the ethics police come get me :whistle:
You can't get closer than 1200 yards to a bear? Ethics police ain't what you need. mtmuley

566 Mule Deer, Lone Cone Peak, Colorado.
Yardage unknown, Antelope, Douglas, Wyoming. Shot with a .270 while he was trotting. I held 3 feet high and 3 feet in front of him. I was sighted in at 3 inches high at 100 yards. Your guess is as good as mine.

566 Mule Deer, Lone Cone Peak, Colorado.
Yardage unknown, Antelope, Douglas, Wyoming. Shot with a .270 while he was trotting. I held 3 feet high and 3 feet in front of him. I was sighted in at 3 inches high at 100 yards. Your guess is as good as mine.
That sounds about like my first antelope I killed in 1965. The herd was sitting out in the open & had a decent buck in it. Nearest cover was a slight hill that would put me between 200 & 250 yards away -- well within range of my .264.

I had just crawled to the top of the hill to peer over when a bunch of yahoos driving cross-country in an open jeep appeared on a hill to the left about a 1/2 mile from me. The 'lopes saw it & took off running to my right with the buck bringing up the rear. Rather than use the scope, I aimed at it like I would a shotgun and fired. The buck did a somersault and never moved again. I hit it in the spine just about where the neck & upper body meet.

No rangefinders in those days, but it was easily between 450 & 500 yds. by the time I reacted. I was young & dumb then. Now I'm just dumb. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom