Lookin for UTAH sheep......

steelie

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-03 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]Would anybody be willing to give me some info of where I would be able to find some sheep (bighorns not range maggots) in Utah. I'm talking specifics here - I am planning on trying to find some this fall and since I live way up north and won't have alot of time, I'm hoping someone will throw me a bone. Yes I have been puting in for a Desert tag, but I don't expect to draw until I am in a wheelchair, so for the next 30 years or so I'm just gonna try and get some on film. The only ones I have ever seen were a young ram and a couple of ewes off the side of the road on the Sheep creek loop near flaming gorge. I'd really like to find some Deserts, but I'll take whatever.

Thanks

[email protected] if you don't want to post any info.

All along the Sheep Creek Geological rd. will hold Rams/sheep (Rocky). The bigger Rams go higher in the summer months by North Burro pk.
There is quite a few Rams hanging out now around the Sheep Creek boat launch. They are on both sides of the pavement st. rd. 44 to the boat launch turn off and past it over the top by the Death Valley turn off.
The big red cliffs to the north of the boat launch hold sheep all year long.
If you want to hike and see Rams most days, go over to the Antelope Flats rd. and take the BARETOP trail up and go out on the Boars Tusk (follow the powerlines) and glass ahead of yourself.
Here are some of the harvest we have had from this BARETOP hunt unit, just go to the hunts page.
http://baretopllamas.tripod.com
We will be over there in late Sept. for the actual hunt (s). If ya wanna tag along get a hold of me......

Steelie, I am also looking to hunt desert bighorns with my camera. I'm planning a trip to the Lake Mead area in Nevada around Thanksgiving if you'd like to split the cost. I live in Salt Lake. I've been talking with biologists and residents down there and it should be fairly easy to find them on a somewhat consistant level. The one area I will be going does not get hunted and should have many good rams. email me at [email protected] if you're interested. Steve

San Rafael Swell, lots of wheeler and hiking trails to view from. Saw a nice herd a couple years ago down there.

what unit have you been putting in for. Hit my email I can help you out if you want to hit the San Rafeal.

Mulehound.

Thank you all for the responses!

Mulehound, I sent you an E-mail.

graybeard, sounds like it would be a great time, but I don't think I could swing it right now. I have a very limited vacation schedule right now, so I will probably only be able to go out for a day or two while I am visiting family for the holidays, thanks for the offer though.

Pleasedear, great looking rams on your site! You said get ahold of you for a tag, I didn't think a guy could buy a sheep tag, I thought it was draw only. What does a tag like that run?

Once again, thank you all.

There was a pretty good sized herd just past the city of East Carbon a few years ago. It's been a while since I have been down there, but you used to be able to see them from the main road (100 yards away).

Rut

It might not hurt to pull up the draw results and see if anyone that drew on the Desert Ram units could use an extra set of eyes in camp while they are hunting. Or they could tell you where they have scouted and you could tag along with them while they hunt to get what your looking for on your filming. Plus you would learn alot about that Des. Ram unit.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom