Looking for advice on NR 2018 Elk hunt

wilydawg

Hi guys,

I've accumulated 10 NR elk points going into the 2019 draw and am considering cashing them in.

Due to limited time I've decided that after investing a decade in gaining points I'd opt for an outfitted hunt.

According to the draw odds on the WY website it looks like I'd be 100% draw in Area 7, which seems to be highly rated for high success/big bull private land outfitted hunts. I know it's not cheap to go this route but I'm not getting any younger and have yet to kill a big bull, so I'm leaning this way. But I'm not necessarily stuck on 7 either. By the way, the ultimate goal would be a chance at a 350+ bull, and I know they aren't behind every tree. But I wouldn't want to go where there is no chance, or to a place that the majority of the bulls taken would be 300 or less either.

My research so far indicates that Wagonhound is a great option, although the most expensive I've seen (and out of my budget), with Elk Mountain Outfitters also highly regarded and although a stretch, something I might could budget for ($6900).

Can anyone validate Elk Mountain and/or make other outfitter recommendations?

Thanks in advance for weighing in...

I have a friend that hunted with Elk Mountain and it didn't go the way he planned. I was actually considering them as well at one point. I'm not going to get into too many details on here.
I hunted with Triple Creek Hunts in area 7 this year, and couldn't have been happier. It was my second hunt with them, and they are outstanding!!
I killed a bull that pushed 350, and I saw easily a dozen 300"+ bulls.
P.M. me if you'd like and I can give you some more info.

I'm not sure if you can draw 16 or not, but I've heard good things about that area too.

hwy

>I have a friend that hunted
>with Elk Mountain and it
>didn't go the way he
>planned. I was actually considering
>them as well at one
>point. I'm not going to
> get into too many
>details on here.
>I hunted with Triple Creek Hunts
>in area 7 this year,
>and couldn't have been happier.
>It was my second hunt
>with them, and they are
>outstanding!!
>I killed a bull that pushed
>350, and I saw easily
>a dozen 300"+ bulls.
>P.M. me if you'd like and
>I can give you some
>more info.
>
>I'm not sure if you can
>draw 16 or not, but
>I've heard good things about
>that area too.
>
>hwy

How about a pic of your bull?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-18 AT 10:01AM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2018/36041laynee037.jpg

Here's my bull jm77. I wasn't sure my little brain could figure out how to post pictures. lol

hwy

TOPGUN,
I didn't score him yet, but the butcher/taxidermist shop green scored him at 347+. Like I said I didn't put a tape on him yet, that's why I said he's "pushing" 350.
Anyway, it was worth the 10 year wait to draw this tag.

hwy

wily, you could also check out Kody Glause at Heartspear Outfitters. He has a good ranch in unit 7. I hunted with him a few years ago and shot a 340 bull. I will be hunting with him again when I finally draw another tag. I believe he charges $6500 and has a website

Congratulations on a great bull heywouldya. I have hunted with Triple Creek Hunts but for antelope not elk. I would hunt with them again, I think they are a good outfitter.

When I contacted them a few years ago when I had enough PP to draw Area 7 they were already booked. I think they only take a limited number of elk hunters.

I would recommend anyone planning on hunting with the small to midsize outfitters to book early. If I had enough points to draw I would book before the draw. Most of the good outfitters only take a limited number of hunters and when they book those they don't take any more.

Most of the outfitters in Area 7 other than Wagonhound are small outfitters.

I hunted with Elk Mountain Outfitters in 2011 and I don't have anything bad to say about them. I would consider hunting with them again.

There was three hunters in camp and no one killed a 340 bull but one guy killed a 320 with both thirds broke off that would have went 340 if not broken.I saw 350 type bulls but never got on them.I killed a 280 bull on the last day that fooled us a little on size. I had passed on bigger bulls earlier in the hunt (300-310 type bulls)

One of our guides(the owner) was 70 years old and the other guide was in his sixties. I don't know who is guiding for them now. If you offer me a 70 year old guide or an 18 year old I will take the 70 year old.

Out West Safaris south of Rawlins take bulls like yer looking for. Trails West Outfitters also take some big bulls in 61.

40593dscn1725960x720.jpg

This bull was found in another area Elk Mountain outfits. You want rifle only or a chance to bow hunt then go back for rifle season if needed? This area works for DIY very well. It has an Oct 1 opener for rifle too.

>
40593dscn1725960x720.jpg

>
>
>This bull was found in another
>area Elk Mountain outfits. You
>want rifle only or a
>chance to bow hunt then
>go back for rifle season
>if needed? This area works
>for DIY very well. It
>has an Oct 1 opener
>for rifle too.

Appears the coyotes found it first?

>>
40593dscn1725960x720.jpg

>>
>>
>>This bull was found in another
>>area Elk Mountain outfits. You
>>want rifle only or a
>>chance to bow hunt then
>>go back for rifle season
>>if needed? This area works
>>for DIY very well. It
>>has an Oct 1 opener
>>for rifle too.
>
>
>Appears the coyotes found it first?
>

Gut shot during archery season, hunters did not find him. GW was not happy to say the least, tagged him for us. Appears a bear turned him over an fed on the guts.

We ran in to an old friend last night that is a guide for Wagonhound Outfitters. They have a new ranch they bought and are hunting in 7. It is a wall tent camp, very comfortable on the other side of 7 from the main ranch. Just as big of bulls and a little less money than $15,000.
They took some toads off of it this year. Lots of elk . I would contact them asap if interested. The owner does not take just anyone who wants to hunt with them.

Thanks for all the input guys!

I've been on a whitetail hunt in Canada so have been a little out of pocket. I'll check into some of these options.

wily

How was your whitetail hunt? I'm looking at Alberta Mule deer or whitetail soon. Hope you had a great hunt.

hwy

It was awesome! Finally got a really good buck after years of going up there! Hope your Alberta hunt goes well for you. I'll give you a call about the elk hunt and we can talk about Canada too!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom