• X9A

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • X12

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • G6

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters

bpbigperm

With Covid I have nothing to do but think about the fall. I have been able to draw some out of state tags, but have only drawn X10 once in Cali. I'm up to 9 points in Cali and I'm not sure what to do. I can draw X9A or X12, or wait a few years for G6 Kern River Herd hunt (12 points plus creep). I hunt D8 every year so I am familiar with it. I just dont ever hear of great bucks coming from G6. I've spent time in X9A and understand what you need to do there. I have only spent a couple weekend in X12 fishing but have heard of great deer. I will never catch the max points so my question is what would more experienced hunters do? Has anyone had great success with G6? I do taxidermy have seen a lot of bucks form X9A. Mostly 20-22" 3 to 4 points, but I have also seen some toads. Any advice pre-draw would help.

Side note cool forum will definitely be on it more.

X9A and 12 are both really good,some guys don't believe that, I have hunted both a lot and I think they a have both come back really well,there are some big bucks out there in both.You should be able to find something in 4x4 or more in the 22'' to 26'' range with some work.And there are always bigger out there if you put your time in and have a specific class buck you want to shoot and not settle on something less.

So I've had the G 6 tag 3 times.
First time I shot a 23" 4X4.
Next time both my hunting partner and I had tags. 2 22" 3X4 's
Last time we both had tags we hunted the whole season and didn't see so much as a forky until it started raining two days before the season closed. That day my hunting partner killed a forky and I killed a average 3X3.
With out weather you won't see bucks and in all those years hunting I never saw a buck that would go over 24-25"

I live in X9a. I think its absurd to think about using 9 points on this zone. Look at the harvest statistics, a majority of bucks killed are 2-3 points. There are much better zones to look at if you want to kill a big buck. If you are ok waiting 10 years to shoot a smaller buck, then that's fine. But don't expect to see many bucks that are over 22" wide or 4-point or better. Especially without some significant time scouting and a lot of luck.

When you look at the draw stats for California over the past few years there are hunts that you need max points for, and we all know which ones those are. For nine years I have been putting in for those hunts hoping for a random tag. I will never catch up with max. These 3 units listed above are hunts that can be drawn with 7-12 points. I dont see a reason for continuing to accumulate points if there are no other units to be drawn between max point units and these 3. There is also M11 which needs 14 points, but I'm not interested in that. Also X5b which will take 16 in 2020, but with point creep I dont think I'll catch up. My point is there are no other hunts to keep accumulating points for after these.
Below is the link to the 2018 file, 2019 has not been posted yet. scroll to the bottom of the file and it has minimum points to draw listed in 2018.

If you’re going to continue to hunt D8 why wouldn’t you consider accumulating points, as they don’t cost you anything but having to get your tag & license early? As for G6 it sound like point creep has flattened out at 12point because that’s how many it took me to draw 5yrs ago and my dad 4 yrs ago. As for big growing big bucks D8, just doesn’t have the greatest genetics for growing back bucks. Sure there are a few toads out there but those are usually big because they’re old, and G6 is weather dependent. Both for the deer moving and being able to easily access the area because of road closures. The other zones have better genetics to grow big deer and if you want a better shot a big buck I’d put in there, who knows you might pickup a random tag. Best of luck!

Last edited:
For x12 and x9a the DFG says long-term declines have been due to land management practices???? What that really means specifically??? top level basically less than optimum habits........

Last edited:
I live in X9a. I think its absurd to think about using 9 points on this zone. Look at the harvest statistics, a majority of bucks killed are 2-3 points. There are much better zones to look at if you want to kill a big buck. If you are ok waiting 10 years to shoot a smaller buck, then that's fine. But don't expect to see many bucks that are over 22" wide or 4-point or better. Especially without some significant time scouting and a lot of luck.
Same.I tend to agree, in general, if hunting from out of the area. it takes time to find them, but I know for a fact there are more than several 4x4 and bigger that are toads. I have been following them for a while.

Not G6. Just not worth it. Flip a coin on x12 or 9a and don’t worry about it. If you know how to hunt and will put in the time a 24plus inch 4x4 if pretty doable. Anything bigger than that will be asking for a little luck on your side

You might look at a muzzy or archery tag for x5b or x5a not sure how many points you need but I would think you would be close in points

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom