Looking for company on a late season elk hunt

deerhuntr4885

I am headed to Unit 23 later this week for an elk hunt. I was there earlier and by buddy killed a bull. I am going back until the end. Was thinking that if someone familiar with the area wanted to tag along it would probably help a lot. I will be staying at the lodge in Alcova and heading up every morning.

Anybody want to help?

Mike Henne

We're getting more snow today in the Casper area, which should help you, as long as you can get around ok.

You might have your work cut out for you with today's big snowstorm. Last year several of us had bull tags and we hunted the last two weeks of the season. Helped a friend get this cow on my buddies place. Up high the snow was deep and drifted which kept out most of the atv's. For a week or so, we had almost everything to ourselves. If there's a lot of snow, I'd be hunting west & SW of Saddlerock. The snow might be too deep to walk very far, but there will be elk scattered on the Circle Bar. We passed on a number of bulls in there. Seemed like all the bigger ones had busted points or beams...

7584elk2015.jpg

Thanks guys. Getting pretty nervous. Snow coming today and I leave in the morning. May make for a hairy drive.

Mike Henne

Thanks again. I will throw it out here one more time. If you get bored and wanna come help spot elk give me a call. Staying at the cabins in Alcova.
509-424-9919

Mike Henne

Mike,

Man I have sure tried to justify the trip. If I had known a month ago I could have made it work.

For anyone thinking about it. Mike tagged along on a mule deer hunt with me and my wife. He is good company and fun to be around etc.

I sure hope he kills a nice one. I would not hesitate to join him if I had the means to make the trip.

Kill a big one buddy.

Thanks Robb! I sent you a message. Check it and call me. Still on the road from WA State. Just passed through Rawlins. Slow going. Been driving since 0445 this morning. We have about another hour to go. Weather looks good here compared to what we went through earlier.

Mike Henne

Thanks guys. I am in Twin Falls, ID now. Headed home. Bitter sweet. I had 8 days to hunt but with all the weather warnings it was pretty nerve racking. I spotted four elk feeding on a ridge over two miles away. Thought I saw one with horns. They were just feeding into a little draw.

Finally found a way to reach them. Made a perfect stalk. Spotted two in the timber bedded but could not see their heads. I layed in the snow with the wind gusting to about 40mph for an hour. I was across the draw from them at 225 yards. Crawled in to 190 but could still not see horns. I sent my friend back up and around to the truck. He got out the Hoochie Mama and then worked above them and started calling. They stood up and started coming to his call.

I saw the one I had been watching moving his head around and could get glimpses of his rack. He looked good. When he stepped int a small opening, exposing his vitals I put one in him. Four Bulls came busting out of the timber at a dead run. I put one more in mine as he ran at full speed quaffing toward me. Down he went. I think he broke the G2 when he face planted but I could not find it burried in the snow.

IMG_20161209_105223279_HDR.jpg

I can't post a pic. I sent the pic to Rodney and Brian. Go ahead and post it please.
Mike Henne

Good for you Mike!

I was wondering how you made out with the series of storms that are going thru.

congrats man

Robb

Drive safe, you might already be past La Grande but the freeway was closed a lot in the last 24 hours. If you get stopped call or Text me and I can help you with back roads. I will send you a PM with my number. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

DZ

I was going to help Mike out on Sat. But he got it done Fri. I bought a new kifaru pack. And wanted to haul sum elk. To test her out. I don't post on here a lot. If sum one needs a little help. Weather its unit info or just a hand. I will help bye a pm. Or number...Rodney

8487220161202155443.jpg
just got back from my own late hunt. Glad i made it out before the BIG winds hit. Gonna head back next weekend for a cow. Brutal conditions to say the least. Congrads to the OP on beating the weather and killing a good bull.

Dang! Nice bull. Thanks everyone. Finally made it home. Had to take the wife to dinner. Tomorrow, butcher taxidermist and mechanic. Yep. Mechanic? I had to chain up all four to get out of the hills. Severed the lines to both ABS sensors in the front end. Did something wrong. Chained up many times but never had that happen before.

Mike Henne

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-16 AT 09:01PM (MST)[p]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos_2016/8699620161202105908.jpg

Watched these bulls from.about 8am until they finally bedded at 1:15 got my chance after a 2 mile stock and a LONG wait for them to.standup made it back to the truck at 9:30. Made for a.long day...but worth it.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom