Looking for info on Deer Unit 81

Calbuck

Curious about this unit as I'm not into the crowds in the General hunts. Anyone who has hunted or spent time in 81 care to chat about deer hunting?

I'm curious if this unit lends itself to backpacking in or is it covered with roads? Seems like decent access. Not sure what part is better, nearer the Colo border or more north? I've read that the deer there migrate out of Colorado into the unit.

Never hunted it... but know a few guys that have. They focused on old burn areas, camped at truck and did day excursions and did pretty good.

I'm curious if this unit lends itself to backpacking in or is it covered with roads? Seems like decent access. Not sure what part is better, nearer the Colo border or more north? I've read that the deer there migrate out of Colorado into the unit.
You will be hunting the resident deer as the season is too early for the migration. The best bucks are seen the last few days of the elk hunt migrating in so well after the deer season has closed. There used to be a late hunt but it hasn’t been offered in quite a few years. There are lots of roads but a few pockets of good backpacking country.

Thanks for that info HFF, that's what it looks like from satellite imagery and such. I have some ideas on where to look first. Considering applying for a cow tag there too as the seasons run concurrently. I don't know if you need points to draw cow tags though.

I also have a tag in Idaho, so I'll be moving from Wyoming to ID to hunt, that will limit the amount of time I have on the beginning of the season..in fact, I'll most likely (if drawn of course) hunt the last week of Wyoming and then move over to the other state.

I also have a tag in Idaho, so I'll be moving from Wyoming to ID to hunt, that will limit the amount of time I have on the beginning of the season..in fact, I'll most likely (if drawn of course) hunt the last week of Wyoming and then move over to the other state.

Gotcha. Pray for cold weather and some snow. If you draw a tag you should do a hunt story on your 2 tags. Good luck.

I think this will be my plan this year too. I have 6 points and don’t want to hunt in G. So I figure why keep waiting? 81 seems to fit the bill for what I’m looking for, with my points. I’d love to hear of anyone’s past experiences in the unit via PM. I imagine being at that elevation could make getting around tough if bad weather hits!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom