Looking for safe suggestions

S

sniperbait

My wife does not thing having locks on the guns with the bolts removed is safe enough. So I am in the market for a good safe. My current rifle count stands at 4 (she counts 6 with the pellet guns). As you can see, I dont need the biggest safe built. I also dont want one that I will 'grow out of' fairly quickly. What safes do you recommend? Right now I dont have a set price. I would like to keep it in the $500-700 range.

Sniper,
I ain't wearing your boots, but I know what I would do. Find a new wife. JUST KIDDING! As far as the safe goes there are several things to consider.
1. Does your state have idiotic laws like kalifornia has?
2. Although you currently have only a few firearms, as you indicated your collection will grow with time. Buy larger than you think you need.
3. Are you looking for a safe that is fire rated, or would a good gun locker suffice?
4. Are you settled in or are you likely to move frequently?

You have probably already thought of all of this but "just in case" I thought it might help. Also, if your wife has a high level of fear of firearms but is not against you owning them, do what it takes to make her feel safe. At the same time gently and slowly (don't be pushy) get her involved with them.

Norkal

INVEST IN LEAD FOR THE TIMES AHEAD!

You are going to be hard pressed to find a gun safe in the price range you mentioned.
Maybe you should look at a metal lockable gun locker that will run you 200-400 bucks to secure your firearms from kids. Will not give you fire protection and can be broken open by a burglar with prying tools, but will keep the guns secured from curious children.

RELH

On the Low-End side, as a option only, i bought a "Sentry" safe from Wally World about 6-8 yrs ago and have not looked back. It's currently holding over a dozen long guns and several handguns, some metals, cash, and valuables. I drilled holes thru the back and bottom of the thing and serious lag bolted it into the floor and wall studs using washers from the inside.

My biggest fear was getting ripped off by some druggie or young punks looking for something to steal. Though this safe is not as stout as some, it has a nice combo lock, major lug system, and weighs plenty! Nobody is going to be messing with my stuff, short of a pro, and for the $400. or less that i paid for it, it now gives me Tons of comfort in the knowledge that my stuff is secure while i'm away.

Joey

Costco sells a Winchester Safe for $500.00

My other suggestion is have your wife take the hunter safety course.The more she knows about how firearms work the less she will fear them....Jim

Best advice I can tell you is buy as big as you can afford, I can guarantee you that you will be putting more than guns in there. I have a Cannon C35 that has 28 gun capacity and while I don't have that many guns in it you cannot believe the things that you and your wife will find to store in the safe. I thought I would never fill this one up but guess what... It's pretty well stuffed.

Jim

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-10 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]If you're kind of handy with tools you can build your own. I took one end of a spare clothes closet and turned it into a "gun cabinet". I used scrap lumber and scrap metal. I paid about $50 to have the metal cut and a few bucks for lag bolts and padlocks. Maybe $100 total. It's not fire proof is the only thing. The inside of the door is lined with vertical strips of steel to prevent cutting the wood door. All the exposed metal is 1/2" thick, so a punk better bring something better than a hack saw and screw driver. Taking the hinges off won't help a bit.

It won't win any awards for looks however.:)

Eel

703guncabinet-001.jpg

1601guncabinet-003.jpg

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Hey Sniperbait, if you have a Sports Authority in your area you can get a good deal on one. You can look on the web site and also print out a coupon for a % off. I once asked the manager for a better deal and got one. Hope this helps.

I bought a Sentry from WalMart 5 years ago. Paid $500 and it's about the best money I ever spent. Also no bank lock box anymore. It holds the rifles, legal papers,and "both" of my dollars.

It's bolted to the floor and an outside wall.

Sure, you can spend more....but.

A pretty old topic, but I want to share my experience about a weapon safe. I was faced with the fact that weapons need to be stored in an iron safe, and since the price is not small, I decided to try to make it myself. At the enterprise where I work, there is a fiber laser cutting machine that can smoothly cut metal into such pieces as I need. Having bought metal. I was helped to cut it and I was already at home using a home welding made myself a compact iron cabinet, everything cost me about 300 dollars.

I used to make them out of old Soda machines. gut the insides and make some racks to hold your guns and the lock on them are pretty good.

Like Model 70 guy said. Buy it way bigger than you need. I keep everything from car titles and birth certificates, ammo, optics, and of course guns in mine. Spend the extra money for the key pad lock. The dial kind are slow to open. The quicker it is to open the more stuff you will keep in it. Get a minimum 60 minute fire rating, mine is rated for 90 minutes. Bolt it to the floor and wall. Also if it can go in a corner with the hinges away from the side wall it will be near impossible to pry open. Your budget is low. A $500 safe is better than no safe at all. But a safe is a lifetime investment. Save your money up and get one that will serve you well for your entire life.

Like everyone said by bigger then you think you need. You never can get as many guns into them as they advertise. Check for how many long guns will fit. That is always a set back. Buy a quality fire proof safe. Watch for when companies have a scratch and dent sale. You can safe a lot. Remember you will be store your important paper work in it also. Like passports and tittles ,birth certificates etc. It is also a good idea to have a separate fire proof lock box in the safe to store these thing just in case of a fire.

Like others have said, bigger the better. So if you want to stay below a $1,000 then you are looking at 16 to 24 gun safes. I have a 24 gun Cannon and a 16 gun Steelwater. The Cannon is 12 gauge and the Steelwater 14 gauge but the Steelwater has a better fire rating.

The Steelwater is an internet company, shipped free to your door. I think you can get a 16 gun for about $700.
If I wanted a 24 gun I think I would look at Liberty, usually about $1,100 but I was looking at them last Christmas at a local gun store for $900. Gun safes are usually on sale at Christmas time.

Stores like Tractor Supply, Dicks, Rural King and others around here sell safes. Most of these are cheaper but not as good of quality. But there are gun stores that sell more expensive ones also.

Just because it says Winchester on the front doesn't mean it's high quality. But even Liberty and Cannon sell both low end and high end safes.

Most of these safes are at least partly made in China. But I think the Liberties are made in Utah, I think.

I'm different then most. I like having a couple smaller ones. More convenient for me. Easier to move around if needed. Don't have to remove 30 guns to get to the one in the very back. Just me.

I like the Browning safes because of the rack on the inside of the door. It gives you quick and easy access to the guns you use most.

Go to the Big name safe companies that have a scratch and dented sale they are a lot cheaper

???
The original post was from 10 years ago.
Some hack revived it to try and seem like a normal contributor before adverising chinese shipping products.

Best deal I got was at those sales. Mine had a Big Scratch on it.
Got it home and there was touch paint inside of it. I can't even see that scratch any more.

Couple months ago I bought a winchester ts-26, 26 gun safe at tractor supply for under $500. It has the pockets on the door for 4 pistols, and several other zip pockets. Granted it doesn't hold near 26 guns, but good for the money. Weighs just under 400 lbs i believe.

Last edited:
My wife does not thing having locks on the guns with the bolts removed is safe enough. So I am in the market for a good safe. My current rifle count stands at 4 (she counts 6 with the pellet guns). As you can see, I dont need the biggest safe built. I also dont want one that I will 'grow out of' fairly quickly. What safes do you recommend? Right now I dont have a set price. I would like to keep it in the $500-700 range.
We have a big American Standard fireproof safe holds about 20 guns. Get a fireproof safe great for important documents/money/pistols

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom