Looking for some advice on a new muzzleloader

3TOE

Very Active Member
So I ordered a 2020 Paramount Pro Colorado back at the end of April. Yesterday I contacted Muzzleloaders.com & they informed me that the Colorado version will not hit the shelves for at least 2 more months. I’m ready to cancel my order & request a refund.
I “chose” the Colorado simply because it comes with quality open sights & is drilled / tapped to mount a scope. I would personally prefer a .45 over a .50. I don’t mind spending the money on a quality set up, but I’m not going to drop 5K on a muzzleloader like a McWhorter either.
Can you guys recommend a few custom muzzleloader builders that can put together a good shooting .45 with open sights & tapped for a scope mount? Thanks in advance!

Buy your own encore frame, and stock/forearm combo. I got mine from E. Arthur Brown. They offer trigger/action jobs too, well worth it. Then buy a barrel from Luke at Arrowhead, and have him put sights on it. You'll have an open sight gun capable of amazing groups. Mine shoots 2" groups at 100yd, and 4" groups at 200yds. 2400fps with B.H. The barrels are smokeless capable, but shoot just as good with B.H. The big advantage is you can throw your sabots away and shoot bullet on bore. I have 3 of Lukes guns and will never mess with sabots again. P.M me if you want more info, I'll give you my number.

Here’s a Utah builder. Break open options are a little cheaper.

Think about a 50 cal if you plan to hunt elk in Colorado at all (I have a CVA wolf that’s CO elk legal if I need it) Also no reason to not go With a smokeless as you can still shoot blackpowder and bh209. You can also chose to shoot a larger load of bh209 if you want that wouldn’t be safe in a standard muzzleloader.

Mine I built myself and cost me about $1100 all said and done. Stevens 200 .45 cal brux and shot Parker emax for deer or 344 gr for elk. Cost doesn’t include my scope.

B8153681-1645-480A-A7C3-9741F62BD926.jpeg

Thanks guys! I did a little research yesterday and see that I had a few more options than I had originally thought.
I like the idea of building off of an Encore platform, but I’ve owned an Encore in the past & I never was crazy about how the grip felt on the one I owned. I know there are custom options available, but I’m just slightly more comfortable with a sporter style stock. I have my work cut out for me. If I’m going to build one, it’s going to be my “forever” muzzleloader. I’ve collected a few nice rifles over the years and just recently, I’ve started selling off some of the firearms that are just taking up space. Thanks again for the responses!!!

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom