looking for update on B zone hunting (Bear and Deer)

tryptaview

After checking out the harvest stats and scouting around D11 this past weekend i decided to grab a B zone for my second deer tag to go with my bear tag. After spending the next few months scouting d11 in preparation I'll be spending a 4 day weekend in d11 a week or so into the season. From what i hear about the difficulty there is in that area if i fail to harvest ill follow it up with a solid week in B zone as my week vacation from work. I've mostly been looking in B1 and B2 but am looking for anyone that has recent experience in the B area as a whole. the last couple years seemed to have a good harvest but B is such a large area i would appreciate suggestions.

I've never deer hunted it, but from what I've seen it's straight up and down in most public places and the brush is so thick you can't throw a rock out of the road. Loads of mountain quail though, take a shot gun.

I do know if you get weather, you can have a good hunt.

I've never deer hunted it, but from what I've seen it's straight up and down in most public places and the brush is so thick you can't throw a rock out of the road. Loads of mountain quail though, take a shot gun.

I do know if you get weather, you can have a good hunt.
Awesome i have an upland stamp so that works.

archery can be great in the B zones.
Also, the burns in the south end of B1, B5 and B3 could be good.
The Trinity Alps may also be good for you, if you like to hike in a ways.
That's a long drive from D11, but I think in a week of hard hunting, you can get it done. Bring a friend, there's plenty of brush to push.

Do you bowhunt?
I do have a compound bow but this will be my first time big game hunting. Most ppl have recommended bringing my ruger bolt action 243 rather than my muzzleloader becsuse my odds of success would go up. I was assuming that meant leave the bow at home until i gained a bit of experience hunting over unkown and or rough terrain

archery can be great in the B zones.
Also, the burns in the south end of B1, B5 and B3 could be good.
The Trinity Alps may also be good for you, if you like to hike in a ways.
That's a long drive from D11, but I think in a week of hard hunting, you can get it done. Bring a friend, there's plenty of brush to push.
Yea itll be me and a buddy probably one day drive four days in the thick and one day drive back

The only way to increase your odds of seeing deer (bucks) in D-11 is to hunt the portion of the unit that has been closed to rifle hunting for the last 50 years, IMO. The LA County rifle closure area consists of the foothills/mountainous area of the LA County basin area. The hills above Azusa, Glendora, San Dimas, and La Verne are archery only, which you can bowhunt during the archery season of D-11. There are still decent bucks in those hills and you can hunt them during the rut!

The only way to increase your odds of seeing deer (bucks) in D-11 is to hunt the portion of the unit that has been closed to rifle hunting for the last 50 years, IMO. The LA County rifle closure area consists of the foothills/mountainous area of the LA County basin area. The hills above Azusa, Glendora, San Dimas, and La Verne are archery only, which you can bowhunt during the archery season of D-11. There are still decent bucks in those hills and you can hunt them during the rut!
Good point i appreciate the tip ill look into it!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom