Looking for Wyoming Outfitter

Dcnation

Hello, I am planning a Wyoming high country horseback mule deer hunt for 2022 and starting the search now for a great outfitter. Any advice, feedback, your personal experiences with outfitters that fit this hunt description, etc. Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

For G, talk with J and J Outfitters. They have a pack in camp that’ll provide you with a real backcountry hunting experience.

Best advice i can give is what i was told when i used an outfitter for a black bear hunt in idaho when i was 17 years old.

I was told to call the outffiters and ask whatever question you have. Ask the outfitter for 3 numbers to successful hunters and 3 non successful hunters. Ask them hunters why they did or didnt tag out. How many days they hunted? How hard they even tried? Gear? Food? Blah blah blah.

With that advice i was able to narrow down to one outtfitter and what a great choice. I did tag out on a small bear. My buddy did not. We were warned we were coming in late on season and would be a tougher hunt. But we just got out of our junior year in high school and had no choice...

I’m a resident so no experience with any of them but I do check out websites to see what’s being killed, from the looks of it they all produce good bucks year after year !!
Thanks.... I agree the pictures are
Best advice i can give is what i was told when i used an outfitter for a black bear hunt in idaho when i was 17 years old.

I was told to call the outffiters and ask whatever question you have. Ask the outfitter for 3 numbers to successful hunters and 3 non successful hunters. Ask them hunters why they did or didnt tag out. How many days they hunted? How hard they even tried? Gear? Food? Blah blah blah.

With that advice i was able to narrow down to one outtfitter and what a great choice. I did tag out on a small bear. My buddy did not. We were warned we were coming in late on season and would be a tougher hunt. But we just got out of our junior year in high school and had no choice...
Thank you… Very wise words and I certainly will have a list of questions ready and look for references both who were successful and not successful and then just take that info and make the best choice I feel works for me. I know it’s a bit of a risk when dealing with someone selling you on a hunt. I appreciate the feedback I’m not looking for a big buck tied to a tree I just want to quality experience with honest hardworking guide

A little more info about hunting the Greys River. Most of the outfitters don't do pack in camps. They camp by the road. They trailer the horses to the mouth of the drainage they are going to hunt that day and spend the day in that drainage and out by dark. If they didn't see anything then they go to a different drainage the next day.

A little more info about hunting the Greys River. Most of the outfitters don't do pack in camps. They camp by the road. They trailer the horses to the mouth of the drainage they are going to hunt that day and spend the day in that drainage and out by dark. If they didn't see anything then they go to a different drainage the next day.
Thanks for the heads up..... I have noticed the same thing with only a few packing into a camp and hunting daily from that camp. Not sure that is a deal breaker for me and I can see pros/cons either way. I like being able to drive my truck to the main camp and then horseback out of camp daily (even if we have to trailer horses to trail head) Allows me to bring whatever I want to camp with me as far as amenities and not be concerned about weight limits on the horse back into the pack in camp. On the other hand being back in a pack in camp has its appeal also. I appreciate the feed back and I am getting closer to making a decision and booking. Just trying to do my research and due diligence.

I used Tre Heiner, Double Diamond Outfitters, last year in G and would highly recommend. All the guides were local and knowledgeable and determined to get you on a good deer. Our hunt was facing 3 out of 5 days of sht weather so we emphasized trying to get it done on the first day and sure enough we did. We both tagged out on 180+ inch muleys.
Learn to shoot "far"if you already haven't. I shot mine at over 650. Being able to shoot across basins and such is a game changer.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom