Looking into a semi diy caribou

grouseslayer

I am interested in trying to line up a caribou hunt for 2019 or 2020. I am most interested in being able to fly into a major airport and then having a outfitter take care of flights and transportation out to the hunting location. Not sure on alaska or Canada. We would prefer to have the option to shoot 2 bulls each if this is still possible. Does anyone have info on setting a hunt up like this and recommendations on someone to use for the transportation? Also what you think the approximate cost would be? Mostly looking at semi diy for cost reasons and seems like from what I have read cheep outfitters are really hit and miss with what you get. Thanks for any info.

pretty sure north slope Alaska went to 1 caribou for Non-residents. double check for sure but I think Canada would be the better option.

NR are limited to 1 caribou in AK now. Still plenty of opportunity for NR for semi-guided.

I'm not aware of any such semi-guided/DIY opportunity in Canada. I think you can still shoot 2 bulls in some areas of Canada, but the opportunity is dwindling, and you have to go with a guide, or someone who qualifies as a guide (depending on province/Territory).

Thanks for the info. Sounds like 2 bulls is almost a thing of the past unless if you want to go guided in Canada. I think Alaska sounds like the best hunt. Does anyone have suggestions on a outfit to use as far as flights and available camps. I talked to one outfit that provided flights after you get to Ancorage or Fairbanks and all lodging and food they said they fly the area daily and try to put you in front of the heard. This is similar to what I am looking for just looking for references now and advice from people with past experiences.

Me and several of my friends went on a semi DIY hunt in Quebec about 15 years ago. It was a 2 caribou hunt back then and just what you are looking for. The problem is those herds have taken a nosedive and I don't think they allow two bulls anymore. Back then there were several good outfitters but I'm not sure what those hunts are like anymore.

Alaska's barren ground bou are good bit bigger than Quebec's Labrador bou. Might be irrelevant to some but if it's once in a lifetime it's something to think about. You can fly out of happy valley in prudoe for a couple grand a head. We flew out with husky air, back around 2010 or so and were in them everyday and only one guy in the party of 6 didn't get a trophy. The odd man out shot a small bull right in camp do to physical limitations. If you do choose prudoe bay try to get landed on the banks of the ivashak river, the char and grayling fishing was phenomenal. Also don't forget bear protection (12 guage or serious sidearms) the grizzly were everywhere. A random pilot landed at our camp one day just to give us the heads up there were a half dozen grizzlies within a half mile of camp, also on that note mind your p's and q's when it comes to food storage, on yeah and don't pee upstream from where you pump drinking water! Good luck

I have done two hunts DIY out of Tok with 40 mile Air, one moose hunt and one caribou.

Both were good. You have to book your flights very early on, as they will not stack people on top of each other.

>Look up From Safari Nordik $5,995.00
>to $7,995.00 would go back
>again awesome time!

I know this a 2-year old thread but FWIW, caribou hunting in Quebec has been closed for going on three years now.

As far as I know the best current chance for an area allowing a NR to kill multiple caribou (CCBGC) in one trip is Greenland. It's not really DIY though, as they require you to go through an outfitter. Just need to find an outfitter with plenty of 'bou tags and open time slots to hunt. You could also take a muskox, and they're pretty much a slam-dunk hunt. Biggest drawback to hunting Greenland is the cost to get there and then the cost of having your trophies sent to a taxidermist in Denmark, skulls cleaned, hides tanned, and then all exported to the USA.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom