Lope Tag

Trailrider

LAST EDITED ON Mar-07-19 AT 09:13PM (MST)[p]to any one who might be able to help. I drew a Lope tag for unit 7, can someone give me some information on where to go in 7E or where to start looking. I have hunted mostly Deer and Elk in the SE and not familiar with the 7E unit. Not looking for you secret or favorite places, any infor will help.

Thanks

Congrats on the tag! Per the AZGFD site, this should get you started in the right direction.

Overview: Antelope can be found in most of the habitat types in Unit 7 including forested areas however, the majority of the antelope will be found in the open grasslands and parks scattered throughout the unit. Areas: Within the ponderosa pine type, pronghorn can be found in open meadows and parks such as Government Prairie west to Highway 64, west and north of Kendrick Peak, and north and east of the San Francisco Peaks. Antelope are also found in the areas surrounding Merriam Crater. Antelope can be found extending out from the Ponderosa Pines to the Pinion Juniper habitat and the lower elevation grasslands that make up much of the northern parts of both units 7 East and 7 West.

Hunters should spend considerable time scouting prior to the season to locate herds. Antelope can often be difficult to find in unit 7 because they frequently stay in the trees. Be aware that antelope will move in response to the ?green up? from the summer monsoons. Antelope located in the early summer will likely have moved before the hunting season. Cinder cones and other high points in open grassland can afford hunters wide views for searching with binoculars and spotting scopes for pronghorn. Be aware that motorized cross country travel is prohibited due to the Travel Management Rule, including cinder cones, unless a road is present and is on the Motor Vehicle Use Map.

Thanks, Elkster9, but I have read this and the area is quite big, I was hoping for a smaller area, not much time to scout all this area.

Thanks again

>Thanks, Elkster9, but I have read
>this and the area is
>quite big, I was hoping
>for a smaller area, not
>much time to scout all
>this area.
>
>Thanks again

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the information posted by G&F is pretty accurate and specific based on my experience in that unit. I don't beleive many people are going to post any more detailed information than what is above. If you go to the specific areas posted above, you will see speed goats. From there you may find your own little pockets as well. Good luck to you and I hope you find a good one!

BOHNTR )))---------->

First of all congratulations!

You might want to find out who is the wildlife manager for that unit and see if you can speak with him.

Info on the web site is pretty generic, IF you can speak to the WM there, he might be able to point you in the right direction.

FYI, you say your time to scout is limited. However you really do need to up there and familiarize yourself with the unit and the roads.

Do that, and I bet you'll see antelope.

Key for antelope is glass, glass and glass some more! Antelope are hard to field judge, the more you look at the better you'll become when looking for a mature buck like this one!

70214boonecrockettantelopemikehulsey.jpg

Again congratulations!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Mr. Martin

Thanks for the information, I will call Game & Fish and speak with the Game Manager to see if he can give me some info. on hunting on the East side of 7, I hope to spend at least 3 days scouting on 4 trips, Do you maybe have any suggestions? BTW, I am retired Military, this maybe my last chance to hunt lope in AZ, it took me 16 years for this tag.

Again thanks for responding, I have read and heard many good things about you.

Paul

16 years of points; I'd plan a camping trip in there and do a lot of scouting. That tag is worth the trip. Good luck.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom