'Lope Tag

philthy

I got a call out of the blue this morning while waiting to leave Kodiak, Alaska from G&F saying I was #2 on the list for a speed goat tag between Clayton and Raton. My response was "well, DUH!" Waiting on the info, but I accepted the tag and will be hunting in late August. Excellent way to start the day! We fished yesterday with a boat captain and limited out on halibut in less than an hour. Lot of cod and rockfish (black sea bass) to boot. This was probably one of the best days of my life :) Biggest halibut was about 30 pounds and after cranking those up from 220 feet I'm sure I have no desire to catch a 100 pounder. Couldn't have asked for a better day with Dave Ardinger with Fish N Chips Charters.

7278020.jpg

585028.jpg

Got the ranch info today and it's "Kennedy Ranch #2" just southeast of Des Moines. Ranch contact is Kirk Kennedy....isn't he an outfitter?

The Kennedy is a very good ranch (or it sure used to be)Killed my 1st goat there back in 1979. The ranch I drew was on the southeast side of Sierra Grande. I hiked up the mountain a ways at first light and when the shooting started the smart old bucks headed up to me.Got the biggest buck killed on that hunt. Haven't drawn a goat tag since then...So have fun and GL

CC

CC, my younger brother had a tag off the SE side of Sierra Grande called Ganado, he took a great goat there. he also had sections more E out around a small mesa with a road all the way around it, saw some great goats there also, it was about 2-3mi from SE of Sierra Grande.

Phlthy, some great goats in that area, actually some of the biggest I've seen in 56, you should have a great hunt.

NMBIGHORN

Thanks guys. Looking at google maps, it's on the south side of Cow Mountain, a little southeast of Sierra Grande. The map shows a road going around it, so maybe it's the same place. Last time I went was in 1989 with a LO tag on Buck Miller's place north of Clayton. Got a 78" on opening day. Something bigger than that would be awesome, but I'm just glad to have a tag!

Philthy, that is exactly the mountain we hunted around, most of the goats were in transit to and from the west and east, we saw some big goats there, including the largest we saw on the hunt, just could not get a shot, well every time we were in range he was skylined, but you are in for some great hunting.

NMBIGHORN

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom