Luck of the draw!! 2019 looks to be busy for me and the boy.

Duckdon83

Well the time has arrived, my son is old enough to take his first big game animal. A day I have thought over since the day he was born. He and I have spent many days in the field together mostly going after waterfowl and turkeys. I got him started back when he was 8 and hes been hooked ever since!

Naturally I put him in for just about every hunt under the sun and as luck would have it he drew a pretty good youth deer tag in New Mexico for late November. With only 5 non resident tags we were pretty excited and plans have already begun for this hunt.

I then turned my focus to Utah and Colorado to see if I could draw my general Utah deer tag and potentially a better deer tag in Colorado. I put my son in again for a few tags so he could get his points started.

Draw results continue to show up and luck continues to be on our side. We ended up drawing 2 non resident Book Cliff Rifle tags with 2 points!!! Still in shock. A few weeks after I found out I also drew my Colorado Mule deer tag!

All I can say is we are very luck this year and I greatly look forward to our time in the mountains together.

Thanks!

First Duck!
83673monstermulie3.jpg

59997monstermulie.jpg

?

What a trip!! We had an absolute blast looking over all of the book cliff bucks. This being my sons first big game tag we weren't too worried about finding a specific class buck. We just wanted to find something he liked and would be happy with.

After a long 15 hour drive we were driving up the Seep Road entering what would be our home for the next 6 days. We were eager to find deer and start looking over what we assumed would be bucks at every turn. After scouting a bit we had only seen about 30 does and a couple of really small bucks.

Opening morning came and I had hot coffee and hot coco ready. The excitement was palpable. We took off in the direction we had seen deer the night before in hopes some other bucks would show up. By noon we had seen well over 60 deer but only 3 bucks! Feeling a little discouraged we decided to move a little higher in elevation to see what we could turn up. That evening we spotted many more groups of does and fawns and finally a few 3x4 bucks. Not big bucks but better bucks than we had been seeing.

23029img4991.jpg

Sunday morning found us on the same ridge glassing a snowy mountainside. Almost as soon as I could make out bodies I saw two bucks sparing. One of these bucks looked like a heavy horned buck. After getting the spotting scope out I could tell he was just a 3x3 and we opted to wait things out and see what else would come out. After another few minutes the hillside erupted with movement! We had about 12-15 bucks up feeding and we spotted a buck my son was excited about shooting. At this point we were 480 yards out and I knew we needed to close the distance. As we began to move some of the deer caught our movement and began to move over the ridge. I was concerned that his buck moved over the ridge with the other bucks but after sitting there for 15 minutes I caught movement in some of the brush. "ITS YOUR BUCK" I said to my son. Still too far for him to try for a shot we continued to move slowly into range. I found a perfect shooting rest and got him set up. This buck continued to rake the brush with his antlers and push other bucks around which gave us the opportunity to get comfortable. I ranged his buck at 300 yards and knew we had a great chance of harvesting him. The buck moved into an opening and he was ready to make his shot. As the shot went off I could see his buck jump as though he was hit well and then he disappeared into the brush. Paying close attention to where we last saw him we hiked down the canyon and back up the adjacent ridge to where we last saw him. There 10 yards away from where he stood laid my sons very first buck and a moment filled with tears from both of us. A memory I will not forget forever.

Big 3
17134imge8277.jpg

22152imge8323.jpg

?

That is awesome! I bet he loves hearing you tell the story over and over. Congrats!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom