LUNA KILLED TODAY BY TUG BOAT

D

Dmanmastertracker

A whale I was personally familiar with, Luna was killed today when it approached a tug and was killed by the prop. What a shame. In a situation where everyone knew either the whale, or a person would be killed, the dept. of fisheries could do nothing to prevent it and had the ability to do so. Now the tug captain has to live with that the rest of his life.

How personal was your relationship with Luna? I hope not up close and personel. How could of the Dept of Fisheries prevented this mishap? Notice I didn't say tradjedy. I bet this captain is already seeing a shrink about this. My arse. I bet he is having a drink down at the local pub laughing his buns off. All the major networks will have this story as one of their leading stories tonight, while nothing will be mentioned about several hundred fetuses aborted today. It amazes me how people treat animals better than they do other human beings.

It was bound to happen. The tug boat pilot should have nothing to be remorseful about, unless he was actually out to run over the overly friendly orca. The only way to avoid harm to an animal such as Luna, would be to place it in an captive environment. Face it. Luna had become completley fearless (and actually fond of) humans and watercraft. Placing shame on the tug operator is about as bad as chastising the driver of a motor vehicle because a bird flew into his windshield and was killed. Hell, I have hit harbor seals that have popped up in front of my boat as I was cruising down the bay. Has it ruined my life or have I lost sleep over it? Hell no!
These freaking Seattle hippies are gonna have a hay day with this one. They will show a bunch of stinky, jobless hairballs holding candlelight vigils for Luna and damning the tug operator. Should make for some good entertainment!
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

"the dept. of fisheries could do nothing to prevent it and had the ability to do so"

scared.gif

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

"It was bound to happen." -Right your are, exactly my point. OK Polarbear, since your the only one with an intelligent response so far, I know you boat a lot, would you say it's normal for an Orca to play in prop wash daily? Exactly my point, so when Luna was stranded in Nootka when his uncle died and he was a youngster, they immediately should have taken him back to Washington where he came from. Remember, he was still a juvenile even today and could have easily been moved in the first few years today. (God it bugs me when people post about stuff they know nothing about).. Luna followed boats right?? So, anyone familiar whith that particular whale will tell you that the DFO could have led the whale out of the harbor and back down the coast to it's pod. Fisheries failed on two fronts, to save a threatened species and to protect the public from wildlife damage (Luna caused tens of thousands in boat damages).

Yep, your drunk.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Don't you mean BJ?:)

Chef, do you eat whales too?? Only reason I could see why your "blubber"ing...

"Democracy is D1.3"er and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed D1.3"er wearing a skirt."
--DMAN 2007

A good friend on the island of Guam used to tell me a lot of stories from him growing up. He was from the island of Chuuk and had a huge shark bite scar on his thigh. Anyhoo, he would tell of beached whales coming onshore and everyone going to see. They would eat some of it sometimes if it was fresh on the reef. He said they would have the "runs" for days cause it was so fatty. He also said that the females had private parts that were very similar to a humans. Don't know if it's true but that's what he told me.

So no, haven't eaten whale, and after what my friend told me, I don't think I would try it.

My initial post was to your sentence which sounds like it is contradicting itself. What do I know.

Chef

Who the crap is Luna? Is it just me or do you, dmanmaster, know way to much about this Luna, and his kin? Is that your career or just have to much time on your hands.
Sounds to me like it was the (orchids?) fault for playing around the boat.

Sorry, I'll explain; funding has existed to relocate Luna ever since it was stranded in Nootka five years ago when it followed it's uncle into the sound and the uncle died. Luna stayed and immediately associated boats as "whales", thus approaching and playing with them as it did with our boat, you could hear it vocalizing and there was actually an ordinance saying you must turn your sonar off because it would attract the whale -true. Canadian Fisheries then planned to move the whale back down the coast, but let the First Nations talk them out of it. The reasoning -Luna was their re-incarnated cheif who died before Luna came to Nootka.

Duhhhggg, don't make me repeat myself dude. I've lost enough brain cells on these responses. It's a WHALE, dangit... Like I said, at least read an article on it before you post for crying out loud....

Good post Chef, something very ironic in the photo, the First Nations member is petting the whale. This is illegal for you or I to do and would have cost us $100 plus dollar fine if we did it....

so in reality, the tug boat propped chief Ambrose.....that captain is gonna get scalped if he isn't careful.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Im laughing because I didnt know what Luna was. Some guys post before mine, called him an orca, I think I said orchid. Thats even funnier. Anyway, if you enjoy the whales good for you. Id rather be wathcin deer and elk than a whale.

Dman
I do boat alot and it is pretty rare for an orca to ride in a boats propwash or tag along underneath. One time while fishing in Mackenzie inlet in Alaska, I had a mother orca and her pup come up within 5 feet of my boat. I slapped the gunwale with my fish knocker and spooked them off. This is a wild animal and should have as little interaction with humans as possible. It is one thing to stop your boat and watch them from a distance, but to get close and try to interact with it is plain irresponsible. Luna's problem stemmed from recreational boaters purposely getting too close and personal with it. Especially such a young one. Politics are what led to her demise. Once the fisheries had discovered that she had become an increasing threat to herself, humans and marine vessels, she should have been captured and re-located.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

everybody around here knew about luna, especially boaters and fisherman on the sound...it was top story on the news for weeks when he was stuck in the sound. it's unfortunate that he had to die but i don't think it's a big surprise. you could go out on the sound in his neighborhood and pretty much be guaranteed an up-close and personal orca sighting. just more of the impact of people on wildlife. he had no pod to associate with so he picked the next closest thing. he should been put into captivity.

Just think of the homes you could light up with all that whale oil, heck maybe the hippies could get there Volvo to run on that stuff too.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

Hey, if I'd have known they wanted to dynamite, harpoon or shoot me I'd have intentionally run into a propeller too.

How do you know that Luna was a nephew to that other whale that was killed 5 years ago? Did someone do a DNA on both of them?

Brian

"Theodore the tugboat kills luna: when a good childrens show goes bad" PBS special airs tuesday 8am pacific.

DMAN,
You better move this post over to the Greenpeace sight--you ain't gettin no sympathy around here!!!

This is truely the funniest thread I have ever seen on this site. It even blows away the Big Foot post from years past. Luna........................a friggin whale.......snuffed out by a tug boat.........hillarious...........and oh even better it was an indian reicarnate......ROTFLMMFAO..........I wish some one had it on film.
Typical though of those bunny hugger types to lay blame on the boat captain. Yea I am sure he is losing sleep over that one.....NOT.

You know the animal lovers love to put human emotions to animals. They tell you how smart they are and how they have a higher intelegence that we can not begin to understand.....so what was that smart animal doing swimming into a boat prop?

Dman sorry your indian whale friend got whacked.

Note to other indian whale types and other mamals, fish and bunny huggers:
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET DEAD STAY OUT OF SHIPPING AREAS AND STAY OUT OF THE WAY OF LARGE METAL PROPS.(actually they are so much smarter than us they should allready know this)

Dman take your story to the Animal Liberation Front web forum and get some simpathy over there.

Luna..........LMAO.

"We MUST Hunt"

Well stated Tex.

I noticed the news release said believed to be dead,
Says to me they never found a dead killer whale,
D'assmaster maybe it just reincarnated into another animal, perhaps a dolphin, see any "Flippers" swimming around ?

Newspaper today says the whale was sucked into a 1700 hp thruster tube and gound the whole whale into bite size morsels......they did find a piece big enough to identify it as poor Luna.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Since it got all ground up like hamburger, I wonder if the Coast Guard was called out to clean up the oil slick? LOL!

Steve

see what usually happens when humans "help" ,,,, awwww isnt it cute ? it looks hungry , poor thing lets feed it ,,,, awwwwwwww isnt that cute it likes to be fed snickers bars , hey lets take a pic , isnt it cute ? you think it will be ok with us feeding it next to this busy highway ? (in this case busy shipping lane) awwwww its so cute what will it hurt ? how many times do we see this type of stuff create problems for the critters ? although people generally mean well messing with mother nature's scheme of things for these critters usually ends up with a dead critter ,,, people need to just let things work out as they will naturally ,,,, the ironic part of this kind of things is that its usually the "bunny huggers" that are the worse offenders ,,,,

>>>>This is a wild animal and should have as little interaction with humans as possible. It is one thing to stop your boat and watch them from a distance, but to get close and try to interact with it is plain irresponsible. Luna's problem stemmed from recreational boaters purposely getting too close and personal with it. Especially such a young one. Politics are what led to her demise. Once the fisheries had discovered that she had become an increasing threat to herself, humans and marine vessels, she should have been captured and re-located.

i agree re locate it as far away from human activity as possible

Funny post, just another prime example of animal loving people screwing things up. End of the day though, Luna is a flippin whale, worth far less to society than a person no matter what the daisy sniffing, granola eating, greenpeace hippies think.

Dman,

This ranks, in my opinion, as one of the top ten funniest posts
of all time. And the best part is that I actually think you were serious!!!

When you said "Now the tug captain has to live with that the rest of his life" I had to re-read it a few times to make sure I was reading it correctly.

But hey, when you leave politics out of your posts, they are actually helpful!

maybe duhman will be a killer whale expert like that moron that got chowed on by the grizzlies. then we can watch a pbs special about it. once i had a couple o' bumper stickers made just to grind on this hippy chick i useta work with. one said "I CLUB BABY SEALS" only the club was like on a playing card. (also had one that said i spade my dog) the other one said "NUKE THE WHALES". actually, i think whales are real neat and don't see any reason to kill any of em, except for natives doin' it with totally traditional gear. but just because a tame one got smacked by a tug boat ain't no reason to mourn. so, if duhman feels so bad about luna, does that make him a lunatic? any o' you guys ever see the video of the state highway workers in oregon that dynamited the dead whale on a beach? guess there was a dead one stinkin' up the neighborhood and some state highway dynamite guys said they could vaporize it and the birds would eat it. they blew chunks o' blubber half a mile and smashed cars and houses and stuff, but the bulk o' the whale was still there. it was about the funniest video i ever saw.

I have no affinity for killer whales. However, it is a little ironic how the tone of the posts about this overly-friendly (and now dead) whale is dramitically different than the posts about the monster Washington buck killed by a car. (See 3/3/06 Lowedog post on the Muley forum.) Just something to think about on a dreary Tuesday morning.

This is my last post on this one. Orca's are the highest mammal next to man in intelligence, I guess that's part of the reason the entire town of Gold River remembered Luna yesterday. If you have not been in their presence, other than at the zoo, you cannot have any idea how inspiring Orca's can be. There is no comparison to a deer, they are on a different level, though I respect the taking of the life of a deer more than anything else I'll ever do and only take what I need. Orca's do the same, while feeding on seals they routinely push back to shore seal pups they do not need to eat, they way a fisherman practices catch and release fishing. They are the master predator and are the only natural predator of the Great White. The disrespect on this post is embarrassing to me, I'm done..

Heefman,

I noticed a different tone as well. It's a shame whether a whale gets killed senselessly or a deer. We have valleys in my area with a high amount of traffic volume and the elk migration is in the same area. Moose, sheep and deer come out of the mountains during the winter and every week there are dead moose, deer, elk and sheep that get hit by vehicles traveling way too fast. People complain about wolves but the highway does a tremendous amount of damage to all these animals. I wrote to the DOT about putting wildlife signage up and slower speed zones through certain areas during certain times of the year and nothing is being done. Just wait until someone gets killed by either hitting the animal or getting out of the vehicle after hitting the animal and getting struck by a vehicle trying to pull it off the road....etc. It's a man-made problem again with fairly simple solutions and nothing is being done. I just hope my '06 moose stays off the road. He's been getting bigger and bigger.

Dman,

Ever see the video of the killer whales playing volleyball with the seal pups ???? They didn't appear real concerned with the seals safety.

JB

--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Here is the one I like: "The ENTIRE town of Gold River....." Thats a typical BS remark from the political left side. I will guarantee you that the ENTIRE town did NOT show up. Liberals make me want to blow lard.

we were driving around turnagain arm on the way to solodtna and homer once, and the belugas were all schooled up. the killer whales were havin' a hay day splatterin' them things all over the place. it did look like they were playin' vollyball too. real bloody volleyball. it's all just part o' nature. didn't bother me one way or the other. it's too bad ol' luna tried to play prop tag. it's too bad the little 8 year old girl that lived behind me died o' leukemia 2 days before Christmas too. bad things happen. i live in the desert. i don't have enough connection to whales to get teary when one buys it. now if it woulda been "Pancho" the local javelina, man i'd be wearin' a black arm band cryin' for 2 weeks over that.

theridge you are sooooooo right on. It is like the million man march.......were only 100 people actually show up to march.

This Dmanmastertracker is an academic and he has been brain washed by his colleagues. Hopefully we can right him.

Actually I think the dude is just a poser. In reality he is some animal rights activist that likes to post things to stir the pot and start sh_t.

"We MUST Hunt"

Please tell me Pancho is alive and well.
He didn't go off and do something stupid right?!

LOL

Chef

ALL RIGHT! YES I CAME BACK TO POST AGAIN, BECAUSE THE MODS HAVE THE POST ORDER SO SCREWED UP IT'S THE ONLY POST I CAN FIND THAT'S NOT A DECADE OLD. SOTX, YOUR ABOUT AS IN SHAPE AS I AM A LIBERAL, LUMPY. DEFINE CONSERVATION, MORONS WHO CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT IT IS? THAT IS ONE OF THE SUB-TITLES IN THE CAMPFIRE AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT, BUT THOSE ARE THE RULES. I ALWAYS RESPECT OTHERS VIEWS EVEN IF I DISAGREE WITH THEM. IF YOU WANT TO GET PERSONAL (LUMPY, HEMORRHOID), FINE, I CAN GO THERE, BUT I NEVER START IT. RIDGERUNNER, WHAT THE HELL HAPPENNED TO YOU? I BUY YOU A BEER AND YOU INVITE ME OVER TO SHOOT BOWS, THEN FOR THE LAST TWO WEEKS YOU JUST LOB CRAP MY DIRECTION, IS IT THE 28TH DAY OR WHAT???? HEEFMAN AND ZIGG, RIGHT ON THE MONEY, AT LEAST SOMEONE WAS PAYING ATTENTION. I DIDN'T SEE ANYONE DISAGREEING WITH ME WHEN I FELT BAD THE DEER GOT SMASHED!!!!! HYPOCRITES.

Jeffrey, pay attention, the issue was that the DFO did not re-locate the dam fish when they should have. Really not that hard to follow...

Wait a minute! They held a Wake for Luna?????? I thought that's what killed it! Playing too close to the wake!:)

COME ON STEVE YOUR ABOVE THAT KIND OF THING :)

Now, amateurs take note, Eel found a way to poke humor without insulting me personally....

Actually Dmanmastertracker my post was a ploy to get you to post on this again.......and it worked. You are probably right, I gues "animal rights activist" is kind of a harsh words as far as "getting personal goes" Sorry D the truth hurts sometimes. Then you play the hypocrite card while in your post you call us MORONS, LUMPY and HEMORRHOID. Dude stop with the name calling already, makes you look .......well childish.
Come on D, you know as well as I do that this post about Luna, the reicarnated indian whale that got Roto Rootered by a tug boat, was simply posted by you to get a rise out of the MM folks. You did it for kicks and everyone can see that. You just don't post on a hunting website about some stupid mamal getting whacked and expect the vast majority to be as sympathetic as you are. You know it and so does every other poster on this site. You simply did this for shock value. So don't ACT all defensive when you are called out. I stand by my statement. YES D I believe you are an activist for Ingrid Newkirk.
However; I do think this is one of the funniest post I have ever read, so thanks for the laughs.

"We MUST Hunt"

"Relocate the fish when they should have" Is that according to you or you and the damn liberal media? I say whack the nusiance fish and feed the seagulls and homeless.

he said roto rootered, now dat's funny. and like i say, i'm sorta igernut about ocean stuff, but it seems like when i was in scoo, whales wuz mammals. now they're fish? man, i'm all cornfused. hey tex, thanks for callin' this loser out. typical dumbocrat. it's ok fer them to call names and make accusations, but nobody can do it back. does duhman live in californy? man i hope so. keep from screwin' up 2 states that way.

This thread has brought out the worst of MM. Now I do not agree with all of D-mans post, I am on his side here.
He was stating that he was upset about a friendly whale getting killed, and thought it could have been prevented. Is that different that the poacher that killed friendly bull in Estes Park a few years ago? Samson hung out around people.
All the other stuff from the post was printed in the ABC article.
No one here knows how attached Dman was to the whale. So if its not alright for him to be upset, I don't want anyone memoralizimg their dogs or horses here anymore. I am not a dumbocrat, liberal or animal rights activist. Just because we hunt, does not mean we have to enjoy the death of all animals. Thats the mentality that the media wants to portray hunters as.

SOTX, whose stirring the pot, when you say you just posted to try to rile me?? You honestly think I posted this to tick someone off?? I felt bad, I know it's hard to understand, but I did. Albubba is absolutely right, every day someone posts about wildlife being damaged, or destroyed, or dogs killing wildlife, etc.. I honestly didn't expect much response on this, other than "that's too bad for the whale" type thing. If non-hunters were reading this post it doesn't paint a real good picture that several find it so funny that a higher mammal got destroyed. I'll tell you something else too SOTX, I first heard about Luna from my uncle whose the best damn hunter I know and big shocker.. he felt bad too....

Also, I didn't call everyone morons, only the ones who have demonstrated a lack of understanding that "conservation" really does actually mean to "conserve" a resource, be it whales, deer, jackalopes, whatever -if the shoe fits. Just curious SOTX, do you not believe in conservation, even though your a hunter? If you do, then what's your definition of conservation? I also wanted to point out to fisherman here like Polar Bear, if your pissed about the over abundance of seals and sea lions in the Sound and on the coast, why do you think that there are more than ever? I for one would welcome more Orca's in the sound like there used to be, as I get tired of losing fish all the time to seals. Something to think about.

I enjoy having orca's around mainly due to the fact that (as was stated above) they are just about the only predator that goes after seals and sea lions! Plus they are cool to watch them pulverize a seal! I wish that the tribes would utilize their right to harvest seals. They cant seem to get the whale hunting thing right, so maybe they should start out with a smaller target. Start out with Alki beach bikini whales and move on to seals.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

It is always interesting to me to read all the posts like this one and the ones about the "grizzleyman'. It is a curious thing how we place human characteristics on wild animals. It is especially curious when it pertains to predators. Animals are ruled by instinct and only God knows why they behave the way they do. They are wild, unpredictable and should stay that way. It is a shame that man or beast dies in a seemingly senseless accident, but just like the sealions waiting at the gates to intercept the salmon they are doing what is best for them. We have no one else to point the finger at but ourselves... We set up the circumstances and they play it out the best they can.

Stop Global Whining

Jeff, you hit the nail on the head, we as stewards of the wildlife on the 3rd rock have the ability to change the outcome in some of these types of "predictable" situations. Springer was a good example of how a juvenile Orca, if relocated right away, will retain it's "wild", man and boat avoiding characteristics...

Dman -

To correct your jab at me in one of your posts above, you were the only one drinking beer that day, you did buy me a pop though. Nothing in my post was aimed directly at you as did SOTX in one of his posts. I simply pointed that that in my opinion the value of a whale is less than a human to society. As far as my gronola eating, daisy sniffing comment it wasn't aimed at you, that's my term for anti-hunters(most of whom are whale lovers and the liberal media). If you got a problem with a post I said take it up with me in a PM, don't go attacking in public, it only contributes to bringing this site lower than it already has sunk in my opinion.....

Ridge, I sent you a PM also, wasn't trying to attack you, just wondered why you didn't respond to my last PM's.

ALL -Just so everyone understands, I don't find the Lib/ granola stuff amusing when thrown my way, it gets really old and is not really appropriate here. My post was on a legit Campfire topic and a lot of disrespect was shown with regard to my thoughts on this event -again, I always at least try to show respect for others opinions even if they differ from mine and expect the same in return. -D

uhoh guys, we offended duh-man. he don't like bein' called a granola bar and don't like folks to have their own opinion. too bad. dang, if he's offended with the dead whale jokes, wait til he see's the dead homer the pig jokes. poor duh-man. life is hard, ain't it little feller. it's even harder when you're stupid.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom