M3 Draw

J

Jailhouse_Jim

Well, I drew a M3 Muzzleloading tag this year. Not being from the area, does anyone have some tips for hunting this zone? Not your honey holes, just some ideas of where to focus and how the deer act this time of year. Course that will all depend on the weather too.

Jim

I drew that a few years ago. I was new to muzzleloader hunting and it was my 1st time applying for that hunt. I knew nothing about it and my mistake was NOT asking questions on a hunting forum. I knew nothing of the antler class potential. All I knew was what the DFG big game digest shows, % 's.

I spent a week scouting prior to the opener. During that entire week I only saw the typical meat bucks. I got discouraged and lonely ( camping solo ) and it was freezing weather, record snowfall on top and temps in the teens down below. Perfect migration weather.

Having not seen anything big for the week prior, on opener I put the stalk on a small 3x3 to get a closer look. Well, once I put myself into hunt mode I couldn't turn it off and I punched a hole through that dink's boiler room. I walked up to him and said to myself " why did I do that "

I was in the right spot for sure, I just got impatient, discouraged and lonely. Of all my hunting regrets, my M3 tag is by far at the top of the list. How I'd love to get that tag again ! slim chance now since I burned my bonus points. But I still apply anyways, even if there are only 2 random draw tags issued. I drew an East Park Reservoir Bull tag in '06, so I'm a believer.

I know that I was hunting the right spot because when I was breaking camp I had some hunters ask me where I got my buck, they'd seen nothing that day. I took them to the spot and I gave them my card so that they could send me a pic of their bucks if they got any. WOW ! I got their pic and it has tormented me ever since. They both got 2 bruisers the next day right where I led them, and their buddy got a beauty in another spot.

In the past I was able to post pics here but something changed on this site and I've been unable to. I'll email you the pic of those bucks along with the location.

SHOOT a PIG ! don't waste that tag like I did.

On other hunts I've passed on deer that I wish I had shot, but it's by far more painful to shoot something you shouldn't have.

5387doyle_bucks.jpg

Those are beauties for sure, I'd be happy with any of them :). I'll be camping solo most likely. I write short stories as a past time so I can keep busy working on them to keep from getting too lonely. Once I get the maps, I can really get to studying them.

I am using a traditional sidelock TC Greyhawk in .54 and am getting it out to shoot it a bunch and to get a sweet load for it. It doesn't like the power belts or 777 so I am going to the Great Plains 425gr and most likey Goex FFG or Pyrodex RS.

I was drawn for M3 two years ago didn't get the weather we needed that year but still seen bucks every day. Just didn't see any monsters shot a 3X3 24 inch spread on the last day of the hunt. The areas to look at is the area around the Doyle grade at the top there is a camp ground you can stay at. Or look to get a room at the doyle motel. Also look for deer off of 395 going up to crystal peak look for the road called castanca not spelled right. It is a great hunt you can see deer all day long. I just think you need weather to get down the big boys.

glass-eye, I bet that pic make you ill to look at. I liked the way that you put it, "why did i do that". I've been there and done that myself several times. I haven't taken the amount of bucks here lately but at least they have been better bucks.

Of the three bucks in the tailgate pic, all are dandies anybody would/should be proud to take but the outside two really have the "look". When you get down to it, the one on the left is a total smoker hog of a buck that should rank high for Kali typical. I'd love to take him anywhere...especially home with me. :)

Thanks, nice thread, and good luck!!!

Joey

I think weather is going to play a big part in this hunt. I have my fingers crossed for another El Nino winter like this year with early snow.

I am ready to go hunting!

Had the tag three years ago, no weather hunted hard every day of the hunt. On the next to the last day took an 8x6 but hes not huge. We saw only one buck that was bigger, I estimated him to be 175-180". Without weather it is just a mediocre tag. The hunt was designed to harvest some of the Dixie refuge bucks that never get hunted, but without weather they never leave the refuge. So without private access you are essentially hunting x6b bucks that get hammered every year with the huge number of tags they issue for that unit. Thats why you hear guys saying they never saw anything bigger than 24", because the x6b bucks get shot off every year.

The deer are in the rut so hunting is easier than the regular seasons and you will see lots bucks. Some guys had access to private the year I had the hunt and they did really well so that may help if you can swing it. There really is no secret to where the bucks are, right above Doyle, and Constantia loop road are the two main areas. Even without weather its a fun hunt, but if you want a biggun pray for weather or look for access to private as close to the refuge as possible.

Soo I guess my next question would be, does anyone hunt the NF fringe or resident deer on the east side of 395? There is also a chunk of BLM on the northern end that no one has mentioned and is also close to Dixie?

JJ

The year I drew there was a monster taken with the governors tag on the east side of 395

Was the governors tag buck shot by the petersons or near doyle,I heard a story of somebody draging a big buck to the highway at the end of november a few years ago.

Looking over the maps, it seems there is a bunch of BLM so I would hate to focus on one small area if there are decent resident bucks too.

I would think the forest fringe areas might be good producers too if the big boys are waiting for the big storm to push them out into the lowlands.

Even without weather, when it comes that time of year, the deer are moving to the wintering grounds or are at least lower in a holding pattern ready to move.

JJ

>Soo I guess my next question
>would be, does anyone hunt
>the NF fringe or resident
>deer on the east side
>of 395? There is
>also a chunk of BLM
>on the northern end that
>no one has mentioned and
>is also close to Dixie?
>
>
>JJ

The Ft. Sage mountains are on the east side of 395 and are probably the area you are talking about. Spent a couple days hunting there when I had the hunt and saw a few deer but nothing spectacular. A biologist told me something like for every deer that winters east of 395 three winter west of it. I am sure there are a few rogue bucks out in the sage but they are very few and far between. Were I to have the hunt again I would not waste the two days down there without weather.

The governors buck was killed by doyle just dont know how close to the highway.

I think it was the year marburg had the tag I went up there on opening weekend and fished davis lake and alot of deer were still there in the summer range.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-02-11 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]Jailhouse,
I drew that tag last year and killed a dandy. PM me and I will see what I can do for you. I would love to hunt that area again so I might even be up for a trip over there come november.
And given that tag, and the odds of being drawn for it, why not help out a fellow hunter.

Well, I drew a M3 Muzzleloading tag this year. Not being from the area, does anyone have some tips for hunting this zone? Not your honey holes, just some ideas of where to focus and how the deer act this time of year. Course that will all depend on the weather too.
Hi Jim, hope all is well. I know it’s been years since your hunt but I’m looking/hoping for some M3 muzzleloader tips. Drew tag for this November 2021 and trying to research access, camping spots, near areas to hunt etc.
Thanks

Hi Jim, hope all is well. I know it’s been years since your hunt but I’m looking/hoping for some M3 muzzleloader tips. Drew tag for this November 2021 and trying to research access, camping spots, near areas to hunt etc.
Thanks
Not much left to hunt. Most of it all burned up in the last several days.
See the post on X6b up in flames.

Don't let the fire scare you off ,and as for the 6b bucks getting shot out I have have seen some monsters East of 395.If you want PM me. I can give you some more info, my boy and a buddy of mine killed a couple of toads in there the last couple of years.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom