M3 reports?

mod700

Got word from a farmer I know who was helping out a buddy yesterday, they took a decent 5x6,..lots of smaller bucks being seen,..good ones are scarce,..need snow.Heard Aaron (mm member) passed on a 30" class fork,as of yesterday he was still looking.Also heard something that a open tag holder took a small fork.Anybody else got any reports?
Mike

>No reports, but I do have
>a question. Where is the
>M-3 unit located?
>pc

X6b, up by Doyle, its a muzzle loader hunt.
Mike

I hear Aaron got one but I haven't seen any pics ,I did see a 6x5 picture on someone else's phone but it wasn't a monster ,average sized deer for a xzone.

3183ca_buck_2013.jpg

Had a fun hunt saw lots of bucks. Shot this guy on sat night. I had a goal of 180 buck or better just never saw one. I saw one buck that would score better than this guy but not by a lot. Passed on some cool deer that I would shoot anytime just not with that tag. I'm happy either way. Shot my best CA buck. He is a 5x4. One week fork on the far side that is hidden.

3739gaint_forkey.jpeg

Pic of giant forkey I passed. Got to love CA genetics. Neat deer

Nice Aaron, i was hoping that you'd get a big one and you did. There may be bigger bucks but how does a guy pass up a cali buck like that? Speaking of passing up bucks, i don't think i'd have passed on that big forky. I always wanted a truly huge forky and that one looks to fit the shoe!

Congrats Guy!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Nice buck Aaron,to bad you boys didn't get the snow.That country looks familiar,and man that was a pig of a fork,did you hear if anybody took him?.
Mike

No body got the big forkey because Sunday morning I drove into there to go pack my buck off of the mountain he was standing 30 yards off the road just begging to be shot. Good thing for him I had already tagged out. Plus I never saw a hunter the whole entire season where I was hunting. It was really weird. I saw a couple sets of tire tracks over ours the entire hunt and they may have not even been hunting. It was really nice to have that many deer and that much area all to our self's. I hunted other areas but always found hunters. I really wish someone would have taken him out so he stopped breading all the dam does up there. ha-ha

Aaron, I know you were joking about removing that buck from the gene pool, but I wonder if his forked-horn status really does indicate a genetic weakness. Obviously it would be better if he were a four-point or non-typical at this age, but I wonder if he may simply have regressed from a very good buck. Can any MM member point me in the right direction toward photographic evidence of such extreme regression?

What a hunt! X6B, without the crowds. It looks like you put it all together. Congratulations on a great buck.

I have been around and seen tons of mule deer. I don't think the deer was crazy old. If I had to guess I would say he was 5to7 years old. huge body and sway back but I still think he was in the prime of his life. No eye guards or nothing. I just think he had just horrible genetics. I might be wrong though. I have seen bucks that have gone back the other way just don't think this was one of them. He was kicking everything's ass and breading all the does. I really do wish they would put some kid management tags in a hunt like this and unit G3. Every one takes out the good breeders and leaves bad genetic bucks to breed. Just a bad out look down the road. U cant believe all the huge 3 points I saw that I know were 4 to 6 years old.

I've hunted x-6 since before there was an a and b split to the zone and have seen several big, wide forkies just like that. Always amazed that there is only 2 points per side, most without eyeguards too. Saw one that went 24" tip to tip, on the fork! Not a "normal" muley but pretty cool if you don't want score inches.

The largest buck I have ever seen was in Jordan Fields back in the '70s when the burn was still young. It, too, was a forked horn (actually with a very weak third point) and its antlers spanned a distance equal to the distance from its rear end to mid-shoulder. It is the only buck I have ever seen that pushed 40 inches and its body absolutely dwarfed the 22-24 inch bucks it was running with. You are right about the number of almost-typicals in this region. A lot of mature bucks missing the fourth point and eye guards.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom