Magazine Capacity Bolt Action

ElmerFudd

Very Active Member
The bolt action rifle I want to take deer hunting in CO has detachable mags. I have a five round one and a few 10 round ones. I see the CO regulations have essentially a five round magazine limit (six counting the one in the pipe) for semi-autos but can't find anything about non semi-autos. I assume a spare 10 round magazine is ok for a bolt action. Correct?

Bolt gun with 10 round mag be like.....

1591803610284.gif

My district Game Warden said having the magazine with a greater than five round capacity would get you a ticket....even if there were 5 rounds or less in the magazine.

The way I read it in their regs. You are correct. Only semi auto has a mag capacity restriction. But I would call and get a definite answer. Might even make a couple of calls to see if everyone is one the same page.

It won’t be long and we won’t be able to have any rounds in our possession while in Colorado.
Actually, even the libs here have guns. At least on the west slope. Not talking about the new arrivals who bring their bad manners with them.

It's in a chassis set up for AI magazines. That's getting more common. I think with any gun with a detachable magazine, it's good to have a backup magazine in case you accidentally push the release in your activities, especially if packed in a long way. I just have one 5 round one and would prefer not to buy a other if the 10 rounder is legal to carry while hunting. Not that I'm that bad of a shot.....

I don't think you should bring your big mag, but I think you should show a picture of your rifle. I've been pondering a chassis setup. :)

drill a hole in the back of the ten rounder and put a pop rivet in it to limit the follower to travel down past the 5 round limit......easily removed after the hunt.

They've been selling 30 round magpul mags here in california with the pop rivet at the 10 round level for years.....

drill a hole in the back of the ten rounder and put a pop rivet in it to limit the follower to travel down past the 5 round limit......easily removed after the hunt.

They've been selling 30 round magpul mags here in california with the pop rivet at the 10 round level for years.....
As long as it's pinned. That's what the game warden told me.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom