Magnification

HuntLife17

I looked around but couldn’t find anything regarding whether there is any kind of industry standard, etc. regarding optical magnification. In theory 10x, 20-60x, etc would be the same for every bino and spotting scope. But is that actually the case? Might one maker actually put out products that have less or more magnification than another maker even if they are stated as being the same? Short of looking through a bunch of optics side by side, is there actually a way to know that the stated magnification is accurate, or at least consistent?

The only magnification that has a very slight variable are scopes offering 1x. A fractional difference in a 1x on a riflescope is the difference between being able to get a correct sight with both eyes open with no image size difference.

In binoculars and spotting scopes a similar slight variable would not have any effect and there wouldn't be any more fluctuation than that

The only magnification that has a very slight variable are scopes offering 1x. A fractional difference in a 1x on a riflescope is the difference between being able to get a correct sight with both eyes open with no image size difference.

In binoculars and spotting scopes a similar slight variable would not have any effect and there wouldn't be any more fluctuation than that
Thanks for the response. I could be misinterpreting, but it sounds like you were discussing the concept of magnification and how a slight difference may exists at very low levels. However, my question was around magnification across different makers and even products. How do I know that a leupold spotter on 45x will produce the same size image as a swaro on 45x? Could one actually be showing 40x even though it should be 45x?

I tried to be clear. On various spotters you may have a 45x be 44.9/44.8 or 45.1/45.2 which is not any issue.
If you are taking 2 spotting scopes to connect them to make a high powered binocular you'd need to do this with a fixed power eyepiece, not a variable.
You wouldn't have different brands be off more than .5 of a stated power

Sure, I think the just of your explanation makes sense. However, you didn’t indicate if there is any kind of industry governance body tasked with ensuring consistency among makers. Not that I believe there should be. But takes new vehicles as an example. Maker A says their new truck gets 25 mpg highway and maker B says theirs also gets 25 mpg highway. Obviously there are factors that willl affect the true mpg average even over a short distance. Like tire style, road conditions, etc. Im just having a hard time understanding that due to the construction, materials used, optic length, etc., how do optics meet their own magnifications standards if there really isn’t a standard per se?

Not trying to be argumentative, I just truly don’t understand how consistency can be assured when every maker is making their own product and there doesn’t appear to be an actual standard.

Got it. Thanks for the info. That was just something I was curious about since I had never heard of any kind of organization or anything like that.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom