Major Screw Up

Tikka

Long Time Member
Hey all, I have been contemplating posting this for about a month now...

i bought a new chronograph back in November and just got around trying it out the first of January... I set up the chronograph, laser bore sighter and my 280ai... (3) shots 2754, 2754 and then 2772... Man was I exited, I then set up my .338, laser bore sighted through the chronograph no adjustment necessary...

Boom, out of my left eye I notice the chronograph spinning, WTF!!! the laser showed no need for adjustment WTFJH?

Then the light bulb in my head turned on, I left the laser bore sight in the barrel!!! What a rookie mistake, I am one that has always gone the extra on gun safety and I just made the ultimate cardinal sin in gun safety!!! I blew up my barrel on a rifle my Dad gave me and it also had killed the last mule deer my Dad has ever killed and probably ever will kill...

I was not harmed in any of this except for my pride!!!

I'm sharing this in hopes that even if it's only person that everyone takes that extra second to think things through when it comes to safe shooting...

I was so excited with my results of my .280, I was preoccupied and did not take the extra second to remove the bore sight!!!

Happy and SAFE shooting everyone

IMG_2368.jpg

IMG_2370 (1).jpg

I wonder what a carbon barrel would have done. It looks like it split down the rifling, but I doubt a carbon barrel would have done that. With a carbon barrel it may have blown the action up and caused an injury. Scary!

lol....I'm laughing with you...not at you. That sucks and you are lucky.

Are you now a felon with an unregistered short barreled rifle???

That’s one way to take an Abolt barrel off!?
Glad to hear you weren’t harmed.
Are you going to rebarrel it?
Yes I'm currently waiting for a Brux Barrel... The one thing that I'm having a hard time finding is a reputable gunsmith that will work on Brownings...

Tikka,
You can send the stripped barreled action with bolt and new barrel anywhere in the USA, they can barrel it and send directly back to you. They don't need to live next door.
Easy Peasy.

Zeke

I can see how easily that could happen. I was given one of those for Christmas one year and only played around with it and never really used it. I think I’m going to get rid of it because there’s too much going on to remember to remove something like that. My set up looks like yours with the Chronograph, ammo, rests, binder, targets, pens/pencils, spotting scope etc.. Throw in the fact that you’re adjusting yourself and rifle in the seat and table to the desired comfort level and it’s only a matter of time something like that happens.

Tikka
Contact Jim Kobe in MN. He does great work and I’m pretty positive he works on Brownings.

Browning rifles sometimes require a bit more work as the barrels can be stubborn or it’s very common for the front action screw to smash the barrel threads and cause problems with barrel removal. Also the bolt requires a few special tools for disassembly.
I’d pull the barreled action from the stock and use a chop saw to cut the barrel off right after the split so you can send him the action.

I'd have someone locally remove the barrel (threads and all) and keep it for a lamp base. I think it's cool and no one else has one that I'm aware of.

Zeke

Zeke and Homer, I definitely want to keep the barrel and threads in tack... it’s a conversation piece and a great reminder that you can’t be to safe...

WOW!

I Just Seen this!

That's one way to Fix a F'N Browning!

I Think Tikka needs a New Tikka!:D

Glad everybody is OK!

SWEET GEEZUS!

what did it feel like happening???....was your only indication really just the visual of the chrono spinning??

Hey all, I have been contemplating posting this for about a month now...

i bought a new chronograph back in November and just got around trying it out the first of January... I set up the chronograph, laser bore sighter and my 280ai... (3) shots 2754, 2754 and then 2772... Man was I exited, I then set up my .338, laser bore sighted through the chronograph no adjustment necessary...

Boom, out of my left eye I notice the chronograph spinning, WTF!!! the laser showed no need for adjustment WTFJH?

Then the light bulb in my head turned on, I left the laser bore sight in the barrel!!! What a rookie mistake, I am one that has always gone the extra on gun safety and I just made the ultimate cardinal sin in gun safety!!! I blew up my barrel on a rifle my Dad gave me and it also had killed the last mule deer my Dad has ever killed and probably ever will kill...

I was not harmed in any of this except for my pride!!!

I'm sharing this in hopes that even if it's only person that everyone takes that extra second to think things through when it comes to safe shooting...

I was so excited with my results of my .280, I was preoccupied and did not take the extra second to remove the bore sight!!!

Happy and SAFE shooting everyone

View attachment 677

View attachment 676

Holy crap man! Thank God you are ok... I’m sorry to hear that happened to your gun that your dad gave you, that really sucks.

Nice barrel Tikka,

They’re like anyone else who builds barrels however. Most really good, a few odd ones.

I had one on a 300 RUM that wouldn’t shoot the way it should have but I’m sure that’s rare. I killed a couple elk with it one year but it’s been “proof” rebarreled for a couple+ years now and shoots great!

Sorry, TMI
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom