Major Wildlife Overpass Planned for Parleys Canyon

It a good deal.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I too am curious to see how well this works.

I know deer, elk, bear and moose have been negatively impacted by the road traffic so this can't hurt and might help quite a bit.

There are thing that are a bigger waste of money than this effort to protect wildlife!

Time will tell.

Zeke

They are great in theory in that it helps with bringing back some form of natural migration and it definitely cuts down on car impacts but if you were a predator (i.e. bear, mountain lion, wolf, coyote, etc.) where is the one place that you would hang out religiously for an easy meal come migration time?
They are also a great place for invasive species to migrate into new areas that used to have a "man made wall" that stopped them from spreading. Now they can cross more easily, both flora and fauna.

I understand the principal behind them and I used to think they were a good thing, and to be honest, I don't know of anything else that would work better. Habitat fragmentation is a huge problem for wildlife and something needs to be done. I'm just not sure these work the best. When I went for my degree in F&W, the data was still coming in (yes, it was that long ago) so maybe they have more profound evidence but so far, I haven't seen any studies done to cause me to change my mind.

>
>There are thing that are a
>bigger waste of money than
>this effort to protect wildlife!

Not a truer statement has ever been made!

I would like to see this because during the fall and winter quite a few moose get whacked in that area it seems it's always during the rut. I've seen some big bucks plowed right there as well. I've seen the underpasses from wells to jackpot and I think they are great by the minimal amount of animals I see laying on the road. I've heard of underpasses in some areas in utah as well. Isn't there some underpasses down on the Pauns? How much would it cost to pay for this would if we all chipped in another $5 in license fees how long would it take to pay off. Or how bout we make the people of summit park, park city , and jeremy ranch with no skin in the game for wildlife pay a little more in taxes to help make this project happen.

clownpuncher said:

"if you were a predator (i.e. bear, mountain lion, wolf, coyote, etc.) where is the one place that you would hang out religiously for an easy meal come migration time? "

How close you are clownpuncher, in some locations, hunters have done exactly what you described. But..... humans are as creative as wild predators.

When I-70 was built through Sevier County in Utah, they built underpasses tunnels along about 25 miles, from Salina south to Joseph. We had a large mule deer population that bedded on the mountain, above the Freeway and feed, during the evening/night, below the Freeway, in the alfalfa feeds in the valley.

The underpasses were somewhat successful, and once deer located the underpasses they stopped breaching the Freeway fences and getting killed by vehicles. Eventually, what deer were left, started using the underpasses. The minute a few of the hunters in the area learned that the deer were migrating, morning and evening, thru the underpasses, this is what happened.

During the hunting season, from August thru the end of October, they would slip down to the tunnels around midnight, after the deer had moved off the mountain, and into the hay fields, and hang a dozen or two balloons, on strings, so the balloons were hanging about 3 feet off the floor of the tunnel. They would put the balloons in every tunnel but one. At the one, without the balloons, they would set up in the brush and sage 50 yards above the mouth of the tunnel. As the deer went to return to their bedding area, they would encounter floating balloons, moving in the morning breeze, inside the tunnel and move on to the next tunnel, until they came to the one that didn't have any balloons, at which time they were funneled directly and specifically into the weapons of the waiting hunters.

They eventually added radios or tape recorders to the balloons.

So..... the wild predators may load up on the over/underpasses, but so do some hunters.

I don't know if they have done anything about it down on the Pauns. but some hunters were patrolling the fence line on HIghway 89, killing bucks gathering alone the fences and the underpasses, when the fence was first installed. I've watched them do it. Even a half mile away, the bucks on the Pauns learned to bed down a half mile north of the fence/tunnels, to wait until dark to migrate, and hunters learned to hunt the P/J a few hundred yards back from the fence, in later years.

If they are going to do it, on I-80, I think the deer, elk and moose will eventually learn to use them and they are effective in keeping more big game animals alive and protect vehicles/drivers on the Freeway, however I believe there should be a buffer area, some distance back from the Freeway/Highway, that is closed to hunting, if we are going to force deer. elk, moose through a specific narrow corridor.

How you betting they'll include that part of the effort?

So many of our efforts to help preserver and propagate big game "get started" but no one has the balls or the foresight to plan out and adjust to the changes that take place as a result of the "getting started" effort, so the effort either makes it worse or it becomes a waste of investment and a new scientific study is reported as "That doesn't work." When in fact, it would have worked and worked well, if they would just "finish the job" and done more than just "build the over/underpass" and believed that is all there is to it, and left the job about one third complete.

And..... it's not just this issue, it's nearly every big game management issue effort that gets tried.

Such as......... transplanting, feeding, antler restriction, shorter seasons, primitive weapon rotations, split seasons, draw systems, point systems, habitat restoration, predator management, etc., etc. etc. etc. You name it, they "start it" and forget it, then call it a failure, then publish an article in every magazine, newspaper, scientific journal, etc. until the "half baked effort" becomes the truth and every solution suggested gets a haughty "we proved that doesn't work" response, and the natural resource continues to decline and to decline unnecessarily.

It don't happen this way on private property........ does it?

Does that mean I want to see the public land made private? Hell no. I want the public land to start get managed, with the same degree of commitment, that the private sector manages their land, for wildlife.

DC

Looks like it is mainly private property on both sides of this project FWIW.

All the fencing has reduced road kill noticeably in areas where it has been done. How bad it screws up the migration I do not know.

10k private acres in utah equals a cwmu, 20 hunters estitmate. 10k acres public 500 hunters. Not going to be the same.

Might be a New Place for me to Hunt!

I'll just wait till they Cross the OverPass!:D:D:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

> Might be a New Place
>for me to Hunt!
>
>I'll just wait till they Cross
>the OverPass!:D:D:D
>
>
>
>
>And...my point is made!

>> Might be a New Place
>>for me to Hunt!
>>
>>I'll just wait till they Cross
>>the OverPass!:D:D:D
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>And...my point is made!

Hey Clown!

You Didn't List TARDS as Predators on your List!:D

[Font][Font color = "blue"]I Changed My Signature Just for NVB!
Like 6 Damn Times Now!

Ever hear of a place called "Trapper's Point"? North of Pinedale, Wyoming near Daniel. 2 wildlife overpasses were built a few years ago. They work.

Nugget Canyon? Underpasses built here. They also work. Thousands of deer, elk, moose have been saved. Not to mention the reduction in vehicle/wildlife collisions and resulting money saved.

Wildlife over/underpasses work in exactly the way they are supposed to. The fact that some "ethics-challenged" hunters choose to take advantage of a loophole notwithstanding. And predators will kill big game regardless of the circumstances. As 2Lumpy suggested, there are ways G&F agencies can address these issues.

When the alternative is the status quo; keep killing wildlife on the highways at the present rate while also killing/injuring people and the resulting costs associated with that; this really is a no-brainer, IMO.

2Lumpy I think you make some great points about hunters taking advantage of it. I wouldn't have a problem with walking across the bridge to get to the other side of I-80 but there should be a buffer zone in place like you stated.

nontypical, as usual, you see the big picture and while "unfinished" business in our management communities makes me more crazy than I already am, you are right, they work and they work well, and I'll take a 30% fix, over status quo, everyday of the week.

Glad to have you back, your presence is a good sign that you're feeling your oats again. :)

As others have said, wstrntines, this particular overpass may have the protection provided by private land, which to a great degree is an adequate buffer, as long as the land owner doesn't start marketing the funnel. I've just seen so many incidents of great solutions implemented but never followed up, on to achieve the full benefit, as they could, if they weren't just walked away from and left to cause a new or greater problem. And then.......... turned into faux evidence that the solution was a disaster. It's just my grumpy nature I suppose.

DC

Money well spent. This is going to be great for the deer, elk, and moose in the area. Before they built the game fence in parleys the critters were getting slaughtered by vehicles, that has help immensely, but the animals needed a way to get from the north facing slopes to the south facing safely. This will help serve that purpose. Way to go Utah.

I think it's a good idea and will benefit for years and years.

I wouldn't try to hunt it illegally. You know there will be 700 trail cams in the area. :D

Expensive, but effective.

Letting the wrong groups fund these types of projects can let those groups claim some sort of ownership of those herds.

Hunters need to take the lead in these type of projects.

EVERYONE knows that the biggest bucks and bulls only cross at midnight. I guess the local DFW can stop by the undercrossing now and then and pick up a bunch of trailcams and pop the balloons.
That 2 weeks that the animals move from one area to another shouldn't tax those wardens to much

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom