Make your pick

GLEDEASY

You've waited 15 years for the opportunity to harvest a bull of a lifetime. You've found these 4 bulls all within a couple mile radius; public land and unguided. Do you take a crack at the first one that presents a shot or hunt one specific bull? If you chose one specific bull, which one and why?

Bulls in no particular order

Wish I had better pics to offer. These are pics taken of video, from long distances and for the most part long distances.

All are clearly nice bulls, especially 2 and 3. I think the 3rd one might have the biggest antlers. Number two looks to be the oldest. #3 is likely B&C caliber, but to wait 15 years and call it "once in a lifetime" I might be looking for more elk.

#2 or #3 would be my choice if these were the best 4 bulls I found scouting. From this one pic, I wouldn't shoot #4 till late in the season, could change my mind if I for a better view.

#1 is what I dread... a "tweener". Big bull I'd love to get but not quite big enough for what I would want for a OIL tag. If I shot him, I'd always wonder what could have happened. If I passed him up and shot a smaller one or ate tag soup, I'd be kicking myself so hard I'd throw out my back.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

#3 FOR SURE !!!! BUT I WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO PASS ON #1 THE TWEENER. DEER I CAN PASS ON ALL DAY.......6X6 BULLS ARE HARD TO PASS ON...................YD.

# 3 would be my first pick as well. I just hope I would see him first as I have a hard time passing up on the first day what I would shoot on the last day.

#3 then #1 then 2. But I wouldn't pass on any one of the first 3 that gave me a good shot on opening day.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

From these pics #3, but are both the 3's broken on him? Or is it just the angle?

So far looks like individually bull #3 has many peoples attention. BTW, he is not broke.

The video of #2 and #3 were separated by a month and a half. They have some similarities; hence, I can't definitively say they aren't the same bull.

Those who chose #3, he's been slightly pushed before your hunt and lots of people are piling in with hopes of getting him. Does your strategy change at all? Does the "Tweener" bull, #1, become more appealing?

No problem wacking any of the above. Getting a good tag doesnt always mean your gonna kill a dandy bull. Ill count my blessings and if any of these bulls would step into range, Ill be waging war with that perticular bull.

I would aim for #3, would take 1 or 2 if I messed up on #3, would pass on#4 unless last day.

your 1st questions was general season, you shoot which ever one gives you the chance, most people would shoot all 4 on any limited tag

I think I'd take the first one I turned up on the hunt. I like hunting a particular animal, but they all look to be real close to the same caliber of bulls. So.......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

These bulls were a lot of fun to watch. This was my scenario this past year. I had decided that if any of them presented a shot during the season I was not going to think twice about it. I did spend the majority of my time watching bull #3, as he was a special bull and in a more harvestable spot.

Being on public land a number of other hunters had also picked this area for their efforts. For seven days I hunted hoping for the chance that was never presented by these bulls. However; my efforts were not in vain as I ended up harvesting a nice bull that I had not seen prior.

Here are some more pics and video of each bull. Nothing special, but something I threw together to remember the experience.

Spence....you know which one for us.... I couldn't believe I sat and watched Jace pass the shot with his bow on number 3 due to the low light, and then see the masses show up the next day never to back off. He still seconds guesses that choice but I am proud of his ethics in that situation. I am also proud that I instilled that decision making in him thru example. But now I am embarrassed to say that I probably would have taken the shot. If he would have known what the next morning would bring, he may have made a different choice. Either way, they are all great bulls and anyone could be proud of any of them....and if it wasn't for bull #3, I probably would never have met you, so even though nobody harvested him, I'm glad it all worked out as it did........

I remember going by the next morning Rick and wondering what in the heck was going on lol. Guess that bull didn't get so big for no reason. His luck held strong even after a few close calls.

Agreed, new friends and a couple of great bulls harvested!

#3 I would Definitely have to go with #3 I seen him close personally and he is a STUD... If I had a do over I would have pushed it a little harder before all the people showed up and waited to have a chance again to get the Big boy... I figured I would have a good shot at getting him with my rifle so I didn't push to hard on the archery hunt like I should have. Usually not a ton of people hunt in that area. But it was a great hunt and meet some great people. And we all still tagged some great bulls.... But yeah the Big guy always seemed a step ahead and always know when to show.. It was the most frustrating hunt ever for me being that close so many times and having either the bull hold up just outside the cows, or come in late or having other hunters move in on us. Then to have that many people their opening day of the rifle hunt was nuts... It was like a circus moving in that last week of the archery hunt then the circus started on the rifle hunt.. Every night there was 3-5 trucks watching or him. I just want to go find him now and pick up his sheds to see how big he actually was....
Thanks for the post Spencer awesome pics and videos.

I'm envious that you got to see him so close. I had to sit and watch from like 1,500 yards lol. It would certainly be awesome to hold his sheds!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom